Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 12:22 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times

Advertisements

My sister was weighing her options when my toddler niece had her face ripped open by their Aussie. The dog had shown jealously since the little girl's birth and was resentful of her presence. The signs had been there all along and they chose to ignore them.

She's 30 now, loves and owns dogs, but will carry that facial scar until the day she dies. I carry the picture of her torn face with the adipose tissue poking out of the bloody gash seared in my brain, as I showed up on the scene 10 minutes after it happened.

Anyway, that's where I'm coming from. Kids first, dogs second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 12:29 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
I have to agree with putting your daughter first.

I do hope you can surrender him to a no kill shelter rather then take him back to the one you got him from. They sound really dodgy.

I'm sorry your going through this, your heart is in the right place, trying to take in a neglected dog. I'm sorry it hasn't worked out better.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:46 AM

288 posts, read 692,641 times
Oh gosh, I really feel for you but this is not a good start. What concerns me as you have only had him for a week and already he is showing a lot of worrying signs.

It sounds like the Rescue where you adopted him from failed him miserably from a poor evaluation to not bothering to neuter him

I personally would not try to work this one out if you have a small child around. You are never going to be able to relax around him or trust him.

I found a couple of breed specific rescue links for you. i know you said he isn't a pure GSP, but they may be able to help you.

I feel for you so much, what a dreadful situation. Sounds like he needs some intense rehabilitation, poor baby.

Please keep us posted.

National GSP Rescue - GSPCA

Mid-Atlantic German Shorthaired Pointer Rescue

California GSP Rescue: Home

Southeast German Shorthaired Pointer Rescue

I am not sure where you are based, but these rescues normally have contacts all over.

Good luck

Old 02-07-2011, 10:03 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Do not delay. Your daughter's safety must come first. The dog now senses YOUR feelings of fear and insecurity and that increases his own feelings of insecurity and AGGRESSION.

His growling and aggressive staring at your husband are clear indicators this is not going to work for you. Please find him another shelter ASAP before anything more serious occurs. And keep him crated except for short periods out to do his business and be exercised. If possible, can he be allowed some room to roam in a basement or garage?

Old 02-07-2011, 01:05 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,335,548 times
This dog is not appropriate for your family. It will just get more difficult the longer you keep him. It is not your fault that the dog is a "nipper." The fact is he nips you and your child. That's not acceptable and it may or may not be possible to correct this, but that's not your primary role in life.

See if you can find a rescue to take him, and fully disclose the issues openly. No secrets, no passing him off as something he's not.

Good luck. I know this is difficult. I have been in this situation. The longer you wait, the more difficult and emotionally traumatic this will be for you.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:31 PM

455 posts, read 1,238,367 times
I had to change my initial reply as it wasn't applicable in your case.

I would seek the advice of a behaviourist/trainer, and keep the dog separate from your child for now.

I haven't encountered this type of problem but we weren't sure how Duke would re-act to our grandson so we harness and leashed Duke when they were in the same room together and we gave Duke time out in the kitchen for him to rest.

Last edited by suei; 02-07-2011 at 02:43 PM..

Old 02-07-2011, 09:07 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,487 times
I love both my dogs (including a pointer) and would do almost anything for them but if the safety of a small child was at stake the child would have to come first. Just my opinion.

Also, pointers are NOT mellow dogs at all. Our dog is crazy when he does not have a ton of exercise and I've heard the same from other pointer owners.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:14 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times
I agree with the posters above: as much as I feel sorry for the dog who's been abused and hurt and is now lashing out, your child has to come first. Try to send him to a no-kill shelter asap. You don't want to be in the position where you could have stopped a serious injury to your daughter and did nothing.

I feel for you and the situation you are in

Old 02-08-2011, 01:18 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
It reads as if you took him back to the shelter it would mean certain death. Is it possible to find another more suitable home, with someone experienced with training dogs with behavior issues, or employ a trainer to help you?

Old 02-09-2011, 02:26 PM

5 posts, read 7,589 times
I've spent over two days searching for a rescue organization that would take Cole, and only one out of 20 that I contacted was willing to take him (this might be because many of them don't take animals from the public) but the one that was willing to take him doesn't have a shelter with kennels and didn't have a foster situation to place him into. So as much as I DON'T want to, I will have to take him back to the original shelter tomorrow. The original shelter told me that, they would be working towards getting him into a rescue immediately since they don't have the time to work through his issues and he is currently deemed "un-adoptable." So hopefully this means that he would not be euthanized, I am afraid though that if he were to stay at the original shelter and not get into a rescue organization that he might be euthanized if there was an over population situation. So, I'm still frantically working to see if there are any other rescues, "no-kill" shelters, or sanctuaries that would take him. It has unfortunately become even clearer that we CANNOT keep him, as the nipping as has increased, he has nipped my daughter a total of 6 times now, breaking the skin 2x since we got him, and attempted to nip her over 12 times. We no longer allow them in the same room together, since we can't predict when he will nip her—often she is doing nothing but sitting minding her own business when he will come up and nip her on the leg or arm. The entire situation has me emotionally drained, and I keep breaking down sobbing on the phone with staffers of rescue organization, vets, and private trainers...sigh. I really wanted to thank everyone for their kind words, advice, rescue organization leads and understanding of this very difficult situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs