U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 08:40 AM

3,852 posts, read 8,027,357 times

Advertisements

I went out of town last weekend and left Beesley at home with a friend who he likes. My friend called me a few times over the weekend to tell me Beeze was having lots of accidents inside the house (poop!) and had puked several times. She said he was still acting like his happy self, so I didn't have her take him to the vet.

I got home on Sunday afternoon and Beeze hasn't had a single accident or puked since. In fact, he's been acting perfectly normal.

My question is, would this be a form of seperation anxiety or do you think he was just sick? Looking up the signs of seperation anxiety, he doesn't really fit, as he wasn't being destructive or acting off.

If it is seperation anxiety, how do you think I can make his time away from me better? He's already at his own house, in his own bed, with a dogsitter he likes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 09:00 AM

16,223 posts, read 25,437,758 times
I think he just missed you and was stressed because of your absence.

We leave Artie at home, too, with a woman who he adores. He sees her every couple of weeks, so he knows her well, and I'm sure that he's thrilled that she's staying with him when I'm away.

BUT...

He doesn't eat as much when I'm not there.

She tells me, every time that she's stayed, he was fine -- happy, in fact -- but he didn't eat much. Even his treats.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I think it's stress, not knowing when I'm going to be back.

Just like people, dogs have reactions to stressful situations: eat more, eat less, have diarrhea, are constipated, whatever...

I'm guessing stress.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:06 AM

7,330 posts, read 12,560,173 times
It's possible he ate something wrong (which could fall under destructive behavior) but if the poop wasn't diarrhea I'd bet he was stressed. I'm not sure what you could do differently. Hopefully, now that he knows how this works, that you go away but you come back, he'll react better to it each time. Just don't make a big fuss when you leave, as if you think it's a terrible thing that's happening too. Keep cheerful and upbeat, a quick goodbye, and the same when you get back - cheerful but not fussing too much. Also don't feel guilty beforehand and give him a special meal or anything. The guy I board my dog with says people sometimes do that, and it's not much fun for him dealing with the results.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:55 AM

10,091 posts, read 35,815,769 times
I agree...stressed his Mom left him! ( How dare you!)
When we leave the Big D, I always leave a well worn (stinky) tee shirt or pair of jeans with him. He lies all over them I'm told. Your scent might/could bring Beezeman some comfort.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:32 PM

19,639 posts, read 53,524,973 times
One of mine does this when I am gone. Now that I hae a female sitter, he doesn't do it. Apparently even though he liked the male vet tech I had before, guys just stress him out. As he is a formerly-abandonned hunting breed, I can only guess that he has bad memories of the guy who was trying to train him to hunt.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:51 PM

Dang it, I was hoping it wasn't seperation anxiety. I have a few more trips planned, so I'll need to figure out how to make the seperation less traumatizing for him.

I thought it might have been the new bag of food I got him right before I left, but he's been perfectly fine in the digestion department since I've been back

Old 02-09-2011, 05:07 PM

386 posts, read 1,123,275 times
Could it be the combination of the new bag of food and stress?

Old 02-11-2011, 06:04 AM

737 posts, read 2,161,795 times
Any chance she gave Beesley some people food as an extra special treat?

Add that to the change in the regular dog food may be just the answer. If your friend is around enough, and "enough" is difficult to determine, it may work out better in the future.

I feel your pain... it is difficult to leave our pets with our pet-sitter but we're engaged to perform projects and have to focus on business. Thanks for reminding me to call my pet-sitter today! Just to have her over for lunch and to have her spend more time with the pets.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
Any chance she gave Beesley some people food as an extra special treat?

Add that to the change in the regular dog food may be just the answer. If your friend is around enough, and "enough" is difficult to determine, it may work out better in the future.

I feel your pain... it is difficult to leave our pets with our pet-sitter but we're engaged to perform projects and have to focus on business. Thanks for reminding me to call my pet-sitter today! Just to have her over for lunch and to have her spend more time with the pets.
I've threatened her life if she gives him people food because he has such horrible allergies. It's possible she did, but I don't think it's likely.

My friend comes around every so often and plays will Beesley, even when I'm not going out of town. He really loves her, so I don't know why the stress would have been that bad.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:02 PM

16,223 posts, read 25,437,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I've threatened her life if she gives him people food because he has such horrible allergies. It's possible she did, but I don't think it's likely.

My friend comes around every so often and plays will Beesley, even when I'm not going out of town. He really loves her, so I don't know why the stress would have been that bad.
I don't think you can account for what goes on in a dog's mind.

The woman who Artie-sits? She's here every two weeks for a couple of hours. He absolutely ADORES her. She plays with him the whole time she's here.

He doesn't even care when I walk out the door for the weekend, when she's staying with him -- they're too busy playing.

Yet, she tells me that he doesn't eat much when I'm gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or