Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 05:43 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times

Advertisements

Yes. Yes you will def. go to hell for that. However, it will be very crowded, like a cocktail party. I'll look for you....

Seriously, I had a dog that did that. We were told NOT to clean up the yard while she could see us since that gives the impression that you are taking something worth taking...Try pineapple as suggested. I have also heard pumpkin. Or the msg (just go to the store and buy some "Accent" or something in the spice aisle...). Good luck, that is a nasty habit and very difficult to break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 06:11 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,583,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Denali is an outdoor dog. I can't deal with dogs indoor that poop all over the floor all the time anyway. She gets a daily vitamin, nutritional oil for her coat, and Nutro Chicken and Rice dry dog food, and treats. She should not be lacking anything. She has had this bad habit since before we got her at 8 weeks old. Someone mentioned the powder you put in her food and yes, we have had that powder you put on their food. It comes in a packet, is white and you sprinkle it on their food and when it comes out it is suppose to taste bad. Sometimes she still eats it and sometimes not when using that, however it gets pretty expensive.
Okay, first let me just say LMAO at the MIl thing...FUNNY! And no, I don't think you'll be going to hell for that...but you may not get any points upstairs for rubbing the dog's face in poop and keeping him as an outside dog all the time.

The dog has to be potty trained first and foremost...you can achieve this with a crate at bedtime & when you're not home. Dogs seldom poop where they eat/sleep. If he is outside all the time, you have no way of controlling this bad and unsanitary habit, you have to show him that inside = NO potties, and outside = potties & treats. As others have suggested, have some treats ready for after he relieves himself, praise him and say "Good potty!", and CLEAN UP THE POOP while he eats the treat. Pretty soon, he won't be interested in the poop, he'll be looking for that yummy treat! (Little bits of meat and cheese work best in my experience). He may still have some accidents inside if not crated, but just keep a close eye and say "NO...bad potty!" firmly ONLY if you catch him in the act. If you don't catch him in the act, remove him from the area & clean with an enzymatic cleaner like simple solution to truly rid the area of the odor and deter him from going in the same spot again.

I haven't heard of or had any experience with the powder mentioned here, but I strongly urge you to NOT give him any MSG as someone suggested...it is poison, and dangerous. Humans shouldn't even be consuming it, let alone animals, who are smaller and more sensitive.

Dogs don't respond to anger/physical corrections, but they DO respond to praise when doing things right. For this to work, you have to be there to see what they do. Please don't keep the dog outside, the problem will never go away, and your MIL will have poopface forever...as tempting as that may sound, teaching your dog to be a well-behaved, happy and loved part of the family is way more important!!!

Old 03-04-2009, 09:43 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,008 times
In addition to teaching him the "leave it" command and using positive reinforcement, I would add: use a lawn odor eliminator (can be found in most pet stores) after the poo is cleaned up, then give treats in that spot so he associates a different "snack" with the area. (Ask a vet or trainer about this - I haven't tried it.)

Old 03-05-2009, 02:33 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,979,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I have this Cairn Terrier named Denali. Denali has eaten her poop since before we got her as a pup. It is disgusting and makes me mad. We have scolded her, stuck her nose in it, tried to run over really quick after she pooped and sprinkle cayenne pepper on it, and bought this expensive powder from the vet that you also quickly sprinkle on it and it gives it a bad taste (so it says). Well, usually you cannot even get to it fast enough to sprinkle anything on it before she has snacked on it. The powder from the vet doesn't work at all. She acts like there is nothing in it. Scolding and sticking her nose in it does nothing. Lets face it, if she eats it it isn't any big trauma to her to stick her nose in it! The cayenne pepper worked some now and then but once again it is hard to get it on the poop quick enough. Ok, I am missing the point. My mother-in-law is not my favorite person in the world (do you see where I am going here?). Will I go to hell or some demented place if I say nothing when she picks up Denali and allows her to lick her all over her face? Ok I admit, it is my passive aggressive outlet in life.

LOL no I don't think you'd go there , I fully understand the mother in law.

I cannot add to what the others have mentioned.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:32 AM

82 posts, read 439,951 times
The only way to stop the behavior of poop eating is to get to it and clean it up before the pup does. If She's getting to it before you are then you need to take her out on the leash EVERY SINGLE TIME to assure this happens. I agree with the COflower about shoving the poor thing's face in her feces..what kind of message would that send? My Gawd!!!! Make NOT eating the feces a positive experience by feeding a treat as soon as she finished like another poster said. They have to have a reason for not wanting to eat it. They eat it because they get satisfaction from it either because it tastes good to them, they or think they're suppose to clean up after themselves. I guess I don't have much to add only to say I agree with most every one here. Dogs are dogs and what's gross to us isn't gross to some of them. They have to LEARN what's acceptable and what isn't. You teach it OFF or LEAVE IT the same way you would teach any other behavior you don't want.

I encourage you to watch this video where Victoria Stillwell, a famous dog trainer deals with a family's poop eating pugs.

HowStuffWorks Videos "It's Me or the Dog: The Fickle Five"

COflower I couldn't say it any better than you did

Old 03-06-2009, 12:29 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,571,328 times
Okay, someone remind me to smell my son and daughter in law's lab the next time they come to visit. Hey, I'm a MIL and I love their dog and she has licked my hands and face on occasion. Hmmmm, now I should worry about this??????? And no, my Lab grand-daughter's name is not Denali.....Hi there, brokencrayola!!!!

Old 03-07-2009, 05:56 PM

315 posts, read 1,091,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yes. Yes you will def. go to hell for that. However, it will be very crowded, like a cocktail party. I'll look for you....

ok, i'm laughing out loud now! i love it. and i most certainly would be joining you at that cocktail party cause i would not say one word to my ex-mil!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs