Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 05:04 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,019 times

Advertisements

Question for any rescuers- Pitbulls are banned in my county under old archaic BSL dating almost 15 years ago- The bill was just updated again however in 2007, we protested but all it took was a"pitbull looking" dog that was shot by police for alledegelly (sp) attacking a teen (jury is still out on who was the aggressor as the pit was in his own yard, and the teen was a neighborhood terror, but alas)

My question is if you are deemed a 501 (c) rescue does that override BSL? There are so many pits that get put to sleep its such a waste, that they can not even be adopted out if you live in the county boundaries

PS-
To the local ASPCA, I do give kudos as they have been extremely creative in labeling them as "mastiff mixes or bulldog mixes" in order to actually get them adopted

Double PS- I couldn't edit title I actually meant exceptions-sorry

Thanks guys-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 08:02 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
Usually not, from my experience most rescue groups have limited time to get the dogs out of the County but I cant say for sure as I have not read your ordinance.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:41 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times
Simply, no.

Right now Denver has thumbed their nose at the government ruling that says you can not ban a service dog if it falls in a breed of dog that your city bans. Denver basically said they don't give a crap what the government said and if anyone brings their service dog to their city they will kill it.

BSL is a law that's passed because of emotion, not fact or logic. They could care less what your status is or who you are. If you have a breed that's banned they will kill it. You can try passing it off as a boxer mix, but in many of the places BSL has been passed it's up to the town council or animal control to decide what breed of dog you have. I've seen dogs with registration papers stating they're a specific breed and an animal control officer saying it's wrong and seizing the dog to euth it. BSL is about the most moronic thing ever passed.

My suggestion is if you've got a pittie in your rescue, see if you can find either a foster home outside the city limits for it, or transer it to another rescue where there is no BSL. I've been lucky, we don't have any BSL around us for a couple hours, but that also means a lot of the pitties in cities that do have it wind up coming to me. Sadly, although they're one of the best breeds of dogs I've ever known, finding them homes is very difficult.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:38 PM

I thought that dude got to keep his Pitbull in Denver ? Surely if they take the service dogs that would open the City of Denver to be sued.

Are you in Denver ?

Right and most BSL states anything that has the characteristics of a any of the Breeds or Mixes it has banned. Meaning that if your Lab has muscles in Denver it will be killed if Animal Control decides it has Pit in it.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I thought that dude got to keep his Pitbull in Denver ? Surely if they take the service dogs that would open the City of Denver to be sued.

Are you in Denver ?

Right and most BSL states anything that has the characteristics of a any of the Breeds or Mixes it has banned. Meaning that if your Lab has muscles in Denver it will be killed if Animal Control decides it has Pit in it.
Last I heard Denver courts said he could keep the dog but the city said they didn't give a damn what the court said and they still planned to euth.

Obviously the 'powers that be' in the legal system there think they're God and don't feel that the law applies to them.

Nope, don't live there, will never visit there, will never purchase anything that's made in that city. I have a total ban on them. I'm sure they laugh and could care less. But for me it's a matter of principle.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:53 PM

Ah that sucks, I should move there as a point just to drag their ass through the courts.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Ah that sucks, I should move there as a point just to drag their ass through the courts.
Someone needs to sue the hell out of them for millions. Let it go to the supreme court and have that city explain to the government how their laws don't apply. Jerks.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:33 AM

They eventuall will have to cave. I am sure their dog bite statistics have not changed since they banned PitBulls just like they didnt in The Netherlands and parts of the UK. Like the BSL here and everywhere else it is based on fear mongering and nothing else.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:21 PM

455 posts, read 1,238,720 times
This is an interesting thread I live in the UK where four breeds of dogs or breed types, are banned following the DDL/BSL in 1991

This law hasn't prevented fatal dog attacks/serious dog attacks, caused by a variety of breeds and mixed breeds. Again we only hear of the attacks caused by the power breeds. Its sensationalism and it sells newspapers.

imo it is appalling that so many innocent dogs have been pts, through ignorance. The demise of these breeds are the owners they unfortunately attract.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suei View Post
This is an interesting thread I live in the UK where four breeds of dogs or breed types, are banned following the DDL/BSL in 1991

This law hasn't prevented fatal dog attacks/serious dog attacks, caused by a variety of breeds and mixed breeds. Again we only hear of the attacks caused by the power breeds. Its sensationalism and it sells newspapers.

imo it is appalling that so many innocent dogs have been pts, through ignorance. The demise of these breeds are the owners they unfortunately attract.
Very true.

When I go talk at county / town meetings when they're considering BSL in their area I make two points that usually really make people think:

Just because a specific stat says a specific make and model of car is more often involved in vehicle crash fatalities, does that mean we should ban those vehicles? Or does it mean the people that tend to buy those cars tend to be less responsible in their handling of them? It's the same thing.

Second, if you ban a 45 pound dog that people commonly use to make into an aggressive dog, they're going to go buy a 150 pound mastiff and raise it the same way. You think you've got a problem with an aggressive 45 pound dog? What do you think will happen when the size of that dog triples? One of the common elements in dog bite statistics (and there are many) is that the criminal element are very commonly the owners of dogs that bite. Do you think they'll obey your law? And if they do, do you think they'll suddenly be a responsible owner to a 150 pound dog?

People are dumb. They tend to react on emotion, not logic. Sometimes bringing common sense into the equation makes them realize their BSL is pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs