U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 02-11-2011, 12:43 PM
 
13,097 posts, read 11,729,542 times
Reputation: 7509
Default My neighbors dog

I have a neighbor who adopted the cutest little bichon/poodle mix....she is a young dog and smart as a whip....well, she hates other dogs....so I tried working with her, and she started doing better, however, my neighbor doesn't follow thru with behavior modification...and to show you, what an alpha she is, she will literally lift her leg like a male, high in the air and try to pee over where my male dog has gone. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes....

she used to love me to death, and cry everytime she walked past my house, b/c she wanted to come in....however, when she starts to carry on, my dog will growl and I won't take a chance on a dog fight.

My neighbor, loves her dog to death, of course, however, she loves her so much that she give that dog her way all the time. Well, and this scares me....the other day I was leaving for an appointment and they came walking by, and the dog wanted to come over and jump up on me and get some sugar...however, I wouldn't allow her, b/c it's muddy and I didn't want to get my dress pants dirty, so I put up my arms to block her....do you know that dog was so mad that she couldn't have her way she turned in circles and kept growling at me....it was not a once and done growl, she kept circling and looking at me, as if looks could kill.....I've very worried, my dear friend is enabling her dog to be a biter....but she carry's on something fierce whenever she sees another dog....and growls, and is really starting to annoy other neighbors....it's a shame, b/c she is such a smart dog....

If you go over to her house, and she opens the door, the dog runs out on the porch, she also jumps up on you...literally scratching you to be pet...I mean there is no behavior there at all, the dog does exactly as it wants to do. When she walks the dog, she allows the dog to pull her and go anywhere she wants to go....

The woman lost her husband, and so, I'm sure that's part of the reason...but when she goes away, and I walk the dog...and she goes away a lot...leaving the dog alone a lot....the dog goes into a depression now, which she didn't do in the beginning....before when I'd walk her, she would simply be happy to go, now she doesn't want to go, but I make her.


But I do fear that she will turn into a biter....?

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2011, 01:37 PM
 
Location: NC
1,696 posts, read 2,214,232 times
Reputation: 1793
well, its not your dog, so you really wont be able to do much. the owner needs to take responsibility and teach it that she is the alpha, not her.

not much you can do. you could talk to her, but again, its not your dog, so really you have no control over the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2011, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Kenmore, WA
6,837 posts, read 3,401,745 times
Reputation: 9511
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
What do you think?
I think if your neighbor asks for your help or advice, you should give it to her. If her dog acts inappropriate to you, you should let her know, but keep your opinions to yourself, unless asked.

Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2011, 06:15 PM
 
13,097 posts, read 11,729,542 times
Reputation: 7509
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
well, its not your dog, so you really wont be able to do much. the owner needs to take responsibility and teach it that she is the alpha, not her.

not much you can do. you could talk to her, but again, its not your dog, so really you have no control over the situation.

yes, of course, I do know that, and I feel badly, and could never discuss it with her unless she asks me what I think....
I just fear the dog will turn into a biter...and it's such a loving adorable dog...but yes, your right....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2011, 06:21 PM
 
13,097 posts, read 11,729,542 times
Reputation: 7509
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I think if your neighbor asks for your help or advice, you should give it to her. If her dog acts inappropriate to you, you should let her know, but keep your opinions to yourself, unless asked.

Best wishes.
thanks, maybe I'm over reacting and the dog will be just fine...and I do keep my opinions to myself...I don't even let her know when she act inappropriate, I say nothing....if she would ask, I would gently try to tell her, and when she calls her a big mouth, I suggest puppy kindergarden classes....maybe that would help....but beyond that, I don't know what to do. She asked me when she first got the dog to help her, so I was working with both of them and my dog....however, if you don't follow thru there is nothing I can do.

I just hope she doesn't turn into a biter...I'm worried about it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2011, 11:31 PM
 
Location: Canada
3,095 posts, read 2,590,442 times
Reputation: 4914
Lifting her leg and peeing where your male has peed doesn't mean anything. All my female dogs do that - to the male's pee spots and to each others. He doesn't do it to their pee spots, however.

Unfortunately with regards to her jumping behaviour, all anyone can really do about other people's misbehaving dogs or offspring, is know where your own boundaries are. It's unlikely that you'll be able to talk some sense into the owner.

I could be wrong about the circling/growling you describe, but it seems to me given that you say that the dog used to be happy to see you, that the dog might have been expressing its confusion. It was happy to see you and expected a warm welcome and instead you blocked him (nothing wrong with that).

My dogs will also act hurt sometimes when someone they are happy to see doesn't behave in a manner which they are expecting. It's hard to say because it depends on the dog.

This past summer my mom was helping me paint the outside of my house. The dogs were around and my male dog decided to take a pee against a bush at the same time as my mom was reaching for something. Her hand hit him accidentally while he was mid-stream and he immediately growled, and circled but it was because he was surprised and it seemed to me like his feelings were hurt. He is not a biter and he loves my mother.

As soon as she said she was sorry, he stopped the circling/growling and gave her a forgiving lick on the hand. I think he was hurt/confused because he didn't know it was an accidental 'hit' and he knew he had been a good boy and had not been doing anything wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2011, 07:13 AM
 
13,097 posts, read 11,729,542 times
Reputation: 7509
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Lifting her leg and peeing where your male has peed doesn't mean anything. All my female dogs do that - to the male's pee spots and to each others. He doesn't do it to their pee spots, however.

Unfortunately with regards to her jumping behaviour, all anyone can really do about other people's misbehaving dogs or offspring, is know where your own boundaries are. It's unlikely that you'll be able to talk some sense into the owner.

I could be wrong about the circling/growling you describe, but it seems to me given that you say that the dog used to be happy to see you, that the dog might have been expressing its confusion. It was happy to see you and expected a warm welcome and instead you blocked him (nothing wrong with that).

My dogs will also act hurt sometimes when someone they are happy to see doesn't behave in a manner which they are expecting. It's hard to say because it depends on the dog.

This past summer my mom was helping me paint the outside of my house. The dogs were around and my male dog decided to take a pee against a bush at the same time as my mom was reaching for something. Her hand hit him accidentally while he was mid-stream and he immediately growled, and circled but it was because he was surprised and it seemed to me like his feelings were hurt. He is not a biter and he loves my mother.

As soon as she said she was sorry, he stopped the circling/growling and gave her a forgiving lick on the hand. I think he was hurt/confused because he didn't know it was an accidental 'hit' and he knew he had been a good boy and had not been doing anything wrong.
yanno, you could very well be right, whew, thank you...I'm greatful for your feedback....

thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2011, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Kenmore, WA
6,837 posts, read 3,401,745 times
Reputation: 9511
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I just hope she doesn't turn into a biter...I'm worried about it...
I have a tendency to want to control others because I know the path they are on will cause future suffering for themselves and other that they encounter. I've learned the hard way that that only irritates the others, and usually causes suffering for me.

If I think about it, it also indicates a pessimistic view on my part. That isn't my natural state, and does not serve me. Once I realized and recognized it, I concluded that the approach doesn't serve any good purpose.

As the song lyrics go, "Whatever will be, will be...." Perhaps the pooch will become a biter, and she will become a shut in, and she will be happier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2011, 09:36 AM
 
13,097 posts, read 11,729,542 times
Reputation: 7509
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I have a tendency to want to control others because I know the path they are on will cause future suffering for themselves and other that they encounter. I've learned the hard way that that only irritates the others, and usually causes suffering for me.

If I think about it, it also indicates a pessimistic view on my part. That isn't my natural state, and does not serve me. Once I realized and recognized it, I concluded that the approach doesn't serve any good purpose.

As the song lyrics go, "Whatever will be, will be...." Perhaps the pooch will become a biter, and she will become a shut in, and she will be happier.
sound advice, I'm smiling
thanks so very much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top