Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 10:23 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,179 times

Advertisements

title says it all..have a 5 month old lab puppy who loves to chew. She sleeps in her crate next to my bed, so I need to find something that she can lie on (it's a steel pan bottom and she hates to lie on it without a mat) but also quiet (no vinyl) so she doesn't wake me up moving around. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 10:24 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
LOL! Good luck. Tell me when you find it. We have tried pretty much everything...our smooth collie can destroy (and will destroy) almost any material.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:34 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,008,863 times
Probably not exactly what you're looking for but this is what I use in my crates; Natural Cedar Kennel Inserts - All natural cedar kennel insert

The dogs seem to like it and I've had no issues at all with them being chewed up and destroyed. They're no doubt not as quiet as a soft pad but they are substantially quieter than a steel bottom crate.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:06 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,399,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
title says it all..have a 5 month old lab puppy who loves to chew. She sleeps in her crate next to my bed, so I need to find something that she can lie on (it's a steel pan bottom and she hates to lie on it without a mat) but also quiet (no vinyl) so she doesn't wake me up moving around. Any ideas?
Instead of replacement have you tried redirection? A frozen kong filled with kibble and peanut butter might keep her occupied on that rather than on her mat. Worked wonders with our Labbies!

Old 02-15-2011, 02:54 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,849,745 times
i use Slumber Pet Sherpa Crate Beds In Natural Beige | PetEdge.com
with an additional fleece blanket. there easy wash, hold up well, my male whos a chewer hasnt destroyed his and its 2 yrs old...

Old 02-15-2011, 03:07 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,774,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i use Slumber Pet Sherpa Crate Beds In Natural Beige | PetEdge.com
with an additional fleece blanket. there easy wash, hold up well, my male whos a chewer hasnt destroyed his and its 2 yrs old...
My last lab boy destroyed that in one day. He destroyed EVERYTHING I put in his crate.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions. I never found one that he couldn't destroy. My current lab girl doesn't chew her bedding at all. Not that I've done anything different, she just doesn't chew her bedding.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:18 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,885,194 times
After throwing out several beds/ cushions that were reportably chew-proof, we just used old bath towels until the chewing phase was over. Then we bought nice ones that lasted.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:53 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,849,745 times
my only worry with bath towels is that they are looped and claws can get stuck...if shes that bad id suggest getting some cheap fleece and just use that, it doesnt fray and theres nothing to get claws stuck in, shell eventually chew through it but you can get a couple yards on sale with coupons for fairly cheap.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Ours wrecks anything we put in the crate. Cushions, mats, fleece blankets...when we had a cage-style crate, he even chewed up the pan (wanted to replace it with a metal one, but couldn't find any that were suitable dimensions, and couldn't find any that were well-priced).

He doesn't get anything in his crate except his Kongs and Nylabones. Nothing to lie on, because all he'll do is destroy it.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:09 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,814,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
LOL! Good luck. Tell me when you find it. We have tried pretty much everything...our smooth collie can destroy (and will destroy) almost any material.
Same here...our Wheaten mix has destroyed anything we put in the crate...first blankets, then a dog bed....we have to put him in the crate anytime we leave the house because he will chew things apart when we're not home....his loss, though, now he has to go in there with just the plastic bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs