U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 04:45 AM

1 posts, read 705 times
Default 45 years later....

All my childhood I was very allergic including to our dogs. However my parents never consider to "get rid of the dogs" I was sick, having to use medicine and still it was so hard constant sneezing red eyes and eventually asthma. My family was bothered by my sneezing. I loved the dogs but all these years of chronic irritation to my lungs gave me irreverible asthma and probably shortened my life span by 5 or 10 years...I am now 50 y old and still suffered the conseuences of the fact that between my health and the dogs, my parents made the choice of not making choices (and find another family for the dogs) Children do not know... no cleaning was ever enough...I LOVE animals and dogs but I certainly would never judge parents making that heartbreaking choice of sending a loved animal away in order to preserve a better future for their child's health
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 05:26 AM

9,808 posts, read 12,933,485 times
It sounds like the allergic child is going to be on plenty of medications for other allergies, and posters have certainly given many good suggestions to lessen the problem in the home.
I have never heard of inhalers stunting anyone's growth.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:24 AM

8,017 posts, read 15,611,005 times
I let the dog [pug] that sheds a LOT go see if that helps. But Yes my son comes before inside animals... Why would anyone live off drugs is beyond me! Or want some one they suposely love live in a drugged haze.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:46 AM

3,870 posts, read 4,388,522 times
I don't think your childhood played any role in your condition as it is genetic.
It may have been a irritant and being exposed to the animals brought it to the for front but that's it.
You were born with this condition and life is full of irritants.

"he can develop eczema from the pet dander being through out the house,"

Nope that is not how it happens.
"Doctors do not know the exact cause of eczema, but a defect of the skin that impairs its function as a barrier, possibly combined with an abnormal function of the immune system,are believed to be important factors. Studies have shown that in people with atopic dermatitis there are gene defects that lead to abnormalities in certain proteins (such as filaggrin) that are important in maintaining the barrier of normal skin.

"http://www.medicinenet.com/eczema/article.htm

back to "life is full of irritants."

What if the kid he sits next to in school has a dog that they play with before school that sheds?
Will he need to take any meds for the casual contact he will have with other pet owners?

Old 03-15-2012, 09:53 AM

8,017 posts, read 15,611,005 times
I re-read the OP post. She saying that her son only had these health problems since they got the pug 1+ yrs ago. So rehoming the pug doing a good cleaning may solve the problems. My gf DD was allergic to dogs all her life...then her Dh got a Boxer that he insisted sleep in their room. She not once had any reaction to the dog! Sometimes it just depends on the dog/animal.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:00 AM

1 posts, read 501 times
my daughter is 2 months old and went to the allergist today and we where told she is allergic to dogs after we provided a sample of your dogs hair and syliva. he told us to get rid of your dog which i cant see myself doing. do i have any other options before i give my dog away?

Old 01-16-2013, 07:41 AM

373 posts, read 246,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
My boyfriends sister is allergic to everything. The best thing their parents did for her was rip out the carpet in their house and put down tile and she didn't let the dogs in her room. Keep clothes, toys, blankets, etc away from the dogs, put up, locked in a room so the hair can't get on it.

If you choose to keep the dogs, your son will probably have to be on allergy medicine 365 days a year, but for me it's worth it to keep my dogs.
This. I have three dogs...and have had allergies and asthma my entire life. I swear by a rainbow vacuum and we have very little carpet. The dogs are not allowed in the bedrooms. I take allergy medicine as well.

Last edited by Liberty12; 01-16-2013 at 07:56 AM..

Old 01-16-2013, 11:57 AM

795 posts, read 439,138 times
For people with small children who do a lot of playing on the floor, if you own your home, rip up the carpets and put flooring.

If you use area rugs for the children to sit/play on, get rid of them.

A great alternative to area rugs: A lot of department stores, kitchen stores or carpeting stores now sell a soft "non-carpet" that is smooth plastic on the outside and has sponge inside and is skid-proof. You just wipe them off if something spills (or if you have dog hairs on it)
They are made for people to stand on at a kitchen sink, etc, if they have hard flooring.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:45 PM

186 posts, read 115,778 times
Sounds as if you are looking for validation to give up the dogs and having a son with allergies is a great excuse. Why don't you find the best home for them you can find with the codicil that you will take them back should they not work out. Not being able to breathe properly is an awful way to live. In the same vein, giving up your dogs and not knowing where they will be is equally awful. Take control of the situation yourself, but I did like the comment to find another allergist. If someone told you to cut off your arm, I do believe a second opinion would be in order. This seems like a similar occurrence.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:54 PM

956 posts, read 712,763 times
Old thread.

It depends on how committed the owner is. Those that want to make it work find work arounds, others well....check your local pound or CL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs