Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 07:20 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times

Advertisements

Hah, okay, Mr. Horgan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 954 times
I have a 4 month old yellow lab, weighing 33 pound, he was used to pull the leash while walking. My boy is a notorious lad but very intelligence as his breed has. I started keeping treats with me in my bag while going for a walk.
when he pull, i used to stop, call him and give a treat. Then stops pulling and come close to me for the treat. slowly by this way, he started a practice of close walk with me on the leash. Still I keep the treat, and he walks perfectly with me .. we both are tremendously happy in morning walk. Actually we both wake up in the morning, say, just for this...

- Suresh, India

Old 11-25-2014, 08:04 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
When my dog pulls, and he still does some. We stop and he sits. When he settles down we walk again.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:38 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
I use the prong collar with both of my Great Danes. I used Gentle Leaders for years with them, but it wasn't enough. My deaf Dane was attacked by a German Shepherd, and it affected her badly. Now she lunges at other dogs, and she has become difficult to control. The fact that she is deaf doesn't help matters either, because I can't use verbal signals to teach her; I use hand signals, and it's difficult for her to see me on a walk.

A few months ago, when I still used the Gentle Leader, she lunged at a squirrel. In my attempts to control her, her leash twisted my finger, breaking it. I ended up having to have expensive orthopedic surgery, with pins and wires inserted. So now I use the prong, and one of my Danes weighs 150 pounds. They work quite well. For those people who think they are cruel, they aren't. Like any other training method, they have to be used properly to be effective. Many big dog rescue groups use them, and they would be the last people to utilize cruel training methods

Old 11-25-2014, 04:35 PM

19,748 posts, read 22,654,259 times
We use the lead wrapped around the flank, so that when they pull it lifts up on that tender area in front of the rear legs. (Additionally if you gently place your hands under the flanks and pull your fingers up- the dog will drop and/or do whatever you wish)

Also the Wonder Lead by Delmar Smith is FANTASTIC. Both our GSP's have learned to heel very quickly using the flank lead first, then the Wonder lead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_RRisZmp0M - how to tie a half-hitch on a dog

http://www.gundogsupply.com/wonleadbydel.html - Wonder Lead

Old 11-25-2014, 04:48 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
We use the lead wrapped around the flank, so that when they pull it lifts up on that tender area in front of the rear legs. (Additionally if you gently place your hands under the flanks and pull your fingers up- the dog will drop and/or do whatever you wish)

Also the Wonder Lead by Delmar Smith is FANTASTIC. Both our GSP's have learned to heel very quickly using the flank lead first, then the Wonder lead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_RRisZmp0M - how to tie a half-hitch on a dog

http://www.gundogsupply.com/wonleadbydel.html - Wonder Lead
I'm afraid either of these could cause problems for strong dogs that are stubborn pullers. The wonder lead is a slip lead, that functions like a choke collar and leash. The choke collar can cause tracheal damage in dogs that pull with it on (and most will, without training in leash walking). Wrapping the leash around the flank creates a slip lead that when tightened will put pressure on the bladder and probably other organs. There are high drive dogs that are not going to stop pulling merely because of this leash, and they could do some damage to themselves.
I like the sense-ation harness, or easy walk harness myself. It is not going to make most dogs stop pulling without training either. But it will make their pulling more manageable until you do train them.
A prong is actually much safer for a dog than a choke collar or slip lead, when a quality collar without sharp ends is used properly. If someone takes the time to do it right, I have no problem with them. You still have to train the dog with the prong to get truly loose leash walking, but it is an incentive to pull less strongly, that won't damage the trachea.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:51 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,408,335 times
I only read the first 2 pages but I'm kind of happy to read all the comments about the pronged collars and how well they work. Amazon banned them and many applauded, as if they were cruel. I've never felt that way. Choke collars and the system that pinches the dog's mouth closes, at a time when every dog would have their mouth open, seemed much crueler.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:51 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
??

http://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...s=prong+collar

Old 11-26-2014, 07:38 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post

That's weird, I'm thinking the articles such as the one below that I had read meant Amazon UK as those stories are appearing in my search.

First the RSPCA waded in with its views, then Amazon and ebay banned the sale of prong collars.

http://shakepaws.com/ban-prong-pinch...gains-support/

I'll say it again, i do not understand the backlash. I was hesitant at first, who would want to put what looks like a mid evil torture device on their dog? But I was asked to put it on my wrist, then pull, and it wasn't pain at all. Not even close. As I said much more humane than the others I had mentiioned.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:46 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,051,906 times
I have never seen a Beagle that didn't pull a leash tight. They are so darn stubborn, they don't care if it's choking them. We had a lady in the neighborhood with 2 Beagles and everytime you saw her, both of her arms would be straight out and the dogs would be in different directions, it was funny to watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs