Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 12:21 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
LOL @ this thread. Years ago I had a Lahsa who didn't bark or anything but he'd put his front paws on the bed and try to do a laser stare down
Oh yeah! That is exactly what my female GSD does. Very disconcerting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 12:25 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Pheronomes. They smell it.
They sure do. When I started dating my husband, my old blue female heeler dog knew the minute she saw me. When she later met my husband, she couldn't stand him. She later tolerated him but she always viewed him with suspicion because of what he was 'doing' with her mom. She was as shocked as I was when I first found out how babies were made and that my parents had obviously been doing 'that' at some point. And she didn't want to be anywhere near any funny business. She always acted disappointed like she'd thought I was better than that

Old 02-19-2011, 09:10 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
We had to lock our dog out of the bedroom after she stuck her cold nose where the sun don't shine, when my hubs was on top of the blanket (and me). He screamed like a little girl! and swung his arm and knocked her away, I was afraid she was hurt by hitting the wall. But she was OK. Him, not so much.
Bwahahahahaha! Oh thank you for the laugh this morning. Glad your pup is ok and hope your DH's eyes have now retreated back to their sockets!

FYI - our pups are locked out during "adult time". I have no intention of having 3 sets of eyes focused on us. As Belle pointed out.....it could also be dangerous for DH!

Old 02-20-2011, 12:53 PM

173 posts, read 542,019 times
Look up NILIF training. These behaviors are a pain now but will really be a serious problem with kids in future and the behavior will likely escalate if not managed

Old 02-20-2011, 12:56 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
My dog thinks he owns me -- I belong to him. So, he gets very agitated (i.e. barking and jumping) when my husband kisses me, hugs me, tickles me, whatever...

Artie (my dog) does not sleep in our bedroom. My husband and I would never have sex again if Artie slept in our room -- Artie would kill him.
Get Cesar in there ASAP.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:00 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post
Look up NILIF training. These behaviors are a pain now but will really be a serious problem with kids in future and the behavior will likely escalate if not managed
Know of it and do NOT recommend it! Its way too severe a training method for rescues who have already had too much stress in their lives. They need stablity and guidance - not dictatorship and severity. Maybe an ok training method for puppies but NOT with dogs that have experienced trauma of any sort.

Is NILIF Nasty? | Dog Star Daily

Old 02-20-2011, 01:15 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
We had to lock our dog out of the bedroom after she stuck her cold nose where the sun don't shine, when my hubs was on top of the blanket (and me). He screamed like a little girl! and swung his arm and knocked her away, I was afraid she was hurt by hitting the wall. But she was OK. Him, not so much.
lmao, my dogs do the exact same thing.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:53 PM

173 posts, read 542,019 times
Quote:
Know of it and do NOT recommend it! Its way too severe a training method for rescues who have already had too much stress in their lives. They need stablity and guidance - not dictatorship and severity. Maybe an ok training method for puppies but NOT with dogs that have experienced trauma of any sort.
Taken too far I would agree with you. I would also not make it a long term 24/7 thing. In the Newf community a lot of people use it kindly and succesfully without taking it too far. Given the behaviors that the OP indicates I think sensible NILIF would be a very appropriate approach.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:05 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Get Cesar in there ASAP.
HAHAHAHA! I'm too far gone. Um, I mean, um, that Artie's too far gone.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:28 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,800 times
THey could probably smell the 'explosion' from a far distance... if you know what I mean. lol I guess your dog is a bad room mate and doesn't like your partner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs