Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 71,980 times

Advertisements

Shes 9 months old and is our only dog. She a submissive dog(rolls over when you pet her ect.) and listens to commands. For the past few months she will look at us and start to bark and wont stop! No matter how much we ignore it, say "no" or "enough". We end up having to put her in her cage because she just wont stop.

My husband will be sitting on the couch just watching tv and she will go up to him and bark at him as if hes a stranger. She does the same thing when my husband sits on the floor to play w/ my son. She gets right up in your face and barks(ven at me), at first i thought she was challenging us,like wanting to play, but now I dont think thats the case. At any given time she can just start barking at you. She does it to my mother in law also?? Anyone know what might be going on?

Last edited by doglover685; 02-21-2011 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: mispelling
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 08:45 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,932,564 times
How often are you exercising your dog and/or giving it attention? My dog is a little over a year old, and he will bark at me if I don't give him any attention all day. I exercise him quite a bit, but if I'm lazy one day, he will voice his concerns.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:49 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,502,821 times
Noe often doe sshe alos get out at all. Dogs are pack anaimals and she wants attentio which if you can't give it ;you should not be a owner.My dog does it when he wants to use the bathroom or wants to walk etc.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:00 PM

2 posts, read 71,980 times
We give her tons of attention, she loves to play fetch and go for walks(although with it being winter we haven't gone on many). She goes to the door and wines when she has to go outside and goes to her dish and does the same if she's out of water so it's not that. Maybe I do just need to exercise her more.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:18 PM

592 posts, read 1,807,512 times
If she's giving you those signals for water and going outside, she sounds like a smart doggie. If I were you I'd try the exercise or more game playing as you say. By this time in winter she may just have cabin fever like the rest of us. She certainly seems to be trying to tell you something. Don't you wish we could understand them?!

Old 02-22-2011, 01:41 AM

7,341 posts, read 12,564,225 times
This is not exactly scientific, but on the PBS NOVA website, as an extra feature in conjunction with the NOVA Science Now show about smart animals, there is a little test about dog barks:
NOVA | The Meaning of Dog Barks

There are six separate types of barks on the test, and most dog owners can get at least 2-3 of them right. Chances are your dog's bark is not aggressive but engaging, asking you to interact with her. My first puppy used to do the same, stand right in front of me and bark, bark, bark. I hadn't a clue, and thought she hated me . It turned out she was so smart (GSD + lab) that she was simply bored. After the first year, with lots and lots of training, including language training, she stopped the in-your-face barking, and went on to become Superdog...

Good luck. Talk with your dog, all the time, be consistent with words and concepts, and what may happen is the same with little kids: When they can't communicate they get frustrated and scream a lot. After they start talking they calm down somewhat! Notice her body language. She's probably talking to you already.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:36 AM

214 posts, read 703,645 times
I agree with Geneyus, Sounds like either she wants to play and/or she is not getting enough structured exercise. Playing fetch is great to burn excess energy but she also needs plenty of structured walks.

My lab barks at me if he is bored and wants to play but isn’t getting any attention.

Geneyus- I tried to rep you but I must have recently rated you positively because it wouldn’t let me! So consider yourself rep'd!

Old 02-22-2011, 02:52 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,788,815 times
Maybe your dog's like mine, who I've determined is either hallucinating or has Tourette's. He can just be lying there calmly, and then suddenly bark bark bark for no apparent reason.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:01 AM

7,239 posts, read 9,215,398 times
I think some dogs bark for the same reason some people are compulsive talkers. Of course, I don't know why some people are compulsive talkers . My male GSD is very verbal. My impression is that he wants to interact at those times and his barking is like chatting for people. In his case, there is nothing aggressive about it.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:59 PM

2 posts, read 36,669 times
My dog does that when she wants us to find her bone or ball that rolled under the couch.
Or if she
Wants us to play with her if were playing with the baby and shes jealous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs