Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 12:18 AM

426 posts, read 1,570,159 times

Advertisements

American Kennel Club - New Texas Bills Unfair to Responsible Owners and Breeders

[Monday, February 21, 2011] Two bill of concern have been introduced in the Texas State Legislature and AKC encourages Texas residents to begin educating their legislators about the unintended consequences of these measures.
House Bill 998 will require that anyone who owns an intact male dog over 20 pounds that is EVER off the owners property unleashed or not in a "secure enclosure" purchase $100,000 in liability insurance. Moderator cut: can only quote 1-2 sentences and provide link

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-23-2011 at 10:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 02:51 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
American Kennel Club - New Texas Bills Unfair to Responsible Owners and Breeders

[Monday, February 21, 2011] Two bill of concern have been introduced in the Texas State Legislature and AKC encourages Texas residents to begin educating their legislators about the unintended consequences of these measures.
House Bill 998 will require that anyone who owns an intact male dog over 20 pounds that is EVER off the owners property unleashed or not in a "secure enclosure" purchase $100,000 in liability insurance. Moderator cut: can only quote 1-2 sentences and provide link

Has this been posted in the Texas forum?

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-23-2011 at 10:03 AM..

Old 02-23-2011, 04:47 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I actually think that bill makes a lot of sense.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:02 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
I think breeders should be regulated and also anyone who has an intact male dog should not be considered a responsible dog owner unless you are a dog show person and in that case Im sure someone is not letting a show dog run wild outside .Anyone who owns a female dog that is not used for showing should be spayed . People who are considered responsible dog owners have their dogs fixed . Yes there are times when someones dog gets loose by accident and I understand that . this issue is definately a fine line .Im glad I dont live in texas.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:27 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I actually think that bill makes a lot of sense.
me too.... nothing seems particularly onerous.....

a $1 million dollar "umbrella" policy is not expensive at all.....

sounds like the breeders are doing the same thing they did here over our puppy mill bill last fall.....

Old 02-23-2011, 06:37 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
HB 1451 applies to people with 11 or more intact females. That is a large operation that absolutely should be monitored as it takes a lot of work and resources to maintain that many dogs. And to limit people to 50 breeding dogs is not exactly restrictive. Obviously dogs in such a place can't have anything like a normal life. That situation in itself seems inhumane to me,for a species bred to seek human companionship. To require inspections to see that the dogs at least have adequate shelter at liveable temperatures, food, unfrozen water and medical care, clean living conditions and floor coverings to prevent splayed feet (not sure what requirements are in TX but these should be the absolute minimum) is NOT overly restrictive in any way. Most types of businesses in this country are subject to inspections. Why should breeders object to it unless they have something to hide? The AKC should welcome regulation to prevent puppy mills. I'm afraid they must be working on the "slippery slope" theory that causes so much lobbying for bad legislation, and lobbying against good regulations.

Last edited by subject2change; 02-23-2011 at 06:54 AM..

Old 02-23-2011, 06:40 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
Nope can't agree with this. I have plenty of friends who have intact male shelties who are in basic fencing. One of my dearest friends has an intact male, she is not a breeder but has put oodles of titles on her dog (hence the reason for not neutering), is one of the best dog trainers in GA and this bill would include her. She is retired and on a fixed income and this would be a financial burden for additional unecessary fencing and insurance. Her dog is VERY well trained and I've seen him behave around females in season - off leash. I've also been to many other reputable breeders homes of different breeds with intact males and just have basic fenced back yards and have no problems.

Penalizing the responsible breeder is not the way to go in my book.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:01 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
I can understand objections to HB 998 even though I would like to see non-show dogs spayed or neutered. I don't feel we have the right to regulate to that extent, and I understand the point about hunting dogs etc. being off-leash. These are 2 separate bills, and I hope no one will automatically work against both of them if they disagree with one of them.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:36 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Since your profile Misfitz shows you to be from LA - I'd like to ask what in the world you know about Tx politics and our issues here in Texas? We are trying hard to limit the mass invasion of BYBs and puppy mills that are popping up all around our state. Both of these bills address those issues. The restrictions are needed and appropriate for the situation here. Please spare me the song and dance about the poor "one litter a year" breeders. They are few and far between. To All Texans, please don't take my endorsement of these bills or Misfitz's condemnation of them as fact. Do some research and make up your own mind as to what is best for our state. I did my research and yes - I support both of them!

Old 02-23-2011, 09:45 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
was thinking about this as i got dressed this morning....

if the AKC would do a better job at policing their own, then these legislative bills would probably not be necessary.....

as it stands right now, they will register nearly any dog born to "registered" parents, as long as the appropriate fees are paid....

if they paid attention to and regulated breeders, with loss of membership or registration rights held over heads as punishment for abuse, then just maybe, the breeders would find it less profitable to abuse their stock .... after all, an unregistered pup can't be sold for anything approaching what a registered or papered pup can be sold for....

any professional organization i have ever belonged to required certain conduct from me and prohibited certain other conduct, or my certifcations or registrations or credentials could be immediately stripped, leaving me with a lot less earning potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs