Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 03:09 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
The owner is responsible for the proper handling of the dog. Saying the jogger needs to avoid the dog is like saying a person is to blame if they go out driving on a saturday night and get hit by a drunk driver because they should know drunk drivers are on the road and avoid driving where they may be.
No....actually, it's more like saying if you are out driving and you see a drunk driver, driving on the wrong side of the street, should you avoid him or should you continue in your lane because, after all, it's HIM who's on the wrong side of the street....

No one said the OP should never jog because there "may" be an agressive dog somewhere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 03:32 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
No....actually, it's more like saying if you are out driving and you see a drunk driver, driving on the wrong side of the street, should you avoid him or should you continue in your lane because, after all, it's HIM who's on the wrong side of the street....

No one said the OP should never jog because there "may" be an agressive dog somewhere...
Yes they are without saying it. they are basically saying the dog is not the problem so get your butt somewhere else. I bet if the OP wrote back that they crossed the street but the dog got loose from the owner and chased them a block, some will still blame the jogger by saying something like, It's still your fault cause you should have not gone down that street if you knew that dog was on that street. heck the dog could have jumped out from a pickup bed 100 miles away and some will still place all the blame on the jogger. Or, they will defend the dog even if the jogger was in their home and the dog crashed throught the door by saying stupid things like the jogger was at fault because they were cooking food and the dog naturally was hungrey so the jogger is at fault because they were eating food.

When are animal owners going to take responsibility for their actions and the actions of their own pets when out in public? Can't control your dog, don't get upset when someone maces or tasers the mutt!

Old 02-24-2011, 03:37 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Yes they are without saying it. they are basically saying the dog is not the problem so get your butt somewhere else. I bet if the OP wrote back that they crossed the street but the dog got loose from the owner and chased them a block, some will still blame the jogger by saying something like, It's still your fault cause you should have not gone down that street if you knew that dog was on that street. heck the dog could have jumped out from a pickup bed 100 miles away and some will still place all the blame on the jogger. Or, they will defend the dog even if the jogger was in their home and the dog crashed throught the door by saying stupid things like the jogger was at fault because they were cooking food and the dog naturally was hungrey so the jogger is at fault because they were eating food.

When are animal owners going to take responsibility for their actions and the actions of their own pets when out in public? Can't control your dog, don't get upset when someone maces or tasers the mutt!
I really think you're misinterpreting what people are saying... But, if that's what you want to believe then...ok

No one said it was the jogger's fault and I believe everyone agreed that yes, it IS the owner's responsibility to control their dog. However, in a situation where there is the potential for injury, it would seem to me, the thing highest on my priority list would be to do what it takes to avoid injury! Being so focused on who's to blame, that you're willing to put yourself in harms way (or, not go out of your way to avoid it, simply on principle) is foolhardy IMO.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:48 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
That's why I have a Taser.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:31 PM

603 posts, read 1,947,599 times
The dog should not be out in public unless she can control him.She should not have such a dog.I would try to report her to animal control.She should atleast have a muzzle on him.Ive got a few of my own who I cant really bring out too much due to their reactions towards strangers,one of my border collie mixes absolutely goes nuts when someone rides a bike,he WILL try to attack,but unfortunately not many people are responsible enough and this is how attacks happen.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:32 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
The dog should not be out in public unless she can control him.She should not have such a dog.I would try to report her to animal control.She should atleast have a muzzle on him. Ive got a few of my own who I cant really bring out too much due to their reactions towards strangers,one of my border collie mixes absolutely goes nuts when someone rides a bike,he WILL try to attack, but unfortunately not many people are responsible enough and this is how attacks happen.
Unbelievable... on so many levels.

Based on some stranger's post, you who work at an animal shelter (supposedly) and who has a house full of animals (including at least one pitbull) think that this woman who you've never met or seen should not have her dog... ???

I wonder if your attitude would be different if a stranger was running toward one of your dogs and they reacted?

It's really sad that someone like you would so quickly suggest that someone call Animal Control on another dog owner... IMHO.

Last edited by World Citizen; 02-24-2011 at 07:43 PM..

Old 02-24-2011, 07:36 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Yes, ^^^ that! A lot easier for the jogger to run around on the street than for the dog walker to avert the jogger. Running towards a dog -- especially a protective breed -- can stir him up. He might assume you are a potential attacker. IMHO, common sense says the person who can accommodate the situation more easily should extend him/herself. Its being a gentleman to just make it a bit easier for a dog walker when you both have equal rights to the sidewalk......

Totally agree! Dogs are not thinking who should move out of courtesy or anything

Old 02-24-2011, 07:40 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Ok here goes, why in the heck is this an issue. Jog across the street. The owner is an idiot but who cares. What can you control? YOURSELF.

Just an assumption but the running was probably triggering the Chase, tackle and kill instinct that is very strong in Germans. Why do you think they make such great guard and police dogs?

Ok that's solved anyone want to hear the cure for cancer?

Well said and maybe the owner isn't even an idiot, but, is new to dog owning and just doesn't know. Heck maybe it is somebody that has been conned into walking the dog for somebody so the dog doesn't have to sit in the house...who knows

Old 02-24-2011, 09:26 PM

603 posts, read 1,947,599 times
Yes i do work at a shelter,yes i do have two pitbulls(is there a problem with that?).No I would not react differently if it was one of my dogs.I know my dog's issues and am on top of them.I do not know this person,but this is how bites happen.People get dogs that they cannot control.Would you be reacting differently if this jogger got attacked by this dog?Its very likely to happen to someone if she does not get a hold of this dog.Again,I didnt go into detail much but who knows if the OP is overreacting?We don't know,we're not there,i'll give you that,im just saying my opinion if it really is happening as the OP describes.Someone needs to interfere before this dog harms someone.Some dogs are not for everyone,that is how bad things happen!Thats all im saying.Maybe the OP can politely talk to this woman and express their concerns.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:00 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
Quote:
She walks on the side of the sidewalk with him on the grass, so in theory there is PLENTY of room for me to run by them. But when I dorun by them her dog tries to eat me. She shortens the least and does what she can to stop him, but he got pretty close a few times.
This is what bothers me about the ops post...
this person walking this dog IS trying to be responsible, she keeps the dog on the gras side of herself, she physically restrains...

the op also states this has happend multiple times and yet the op...knowing the dog doesnt like them running close to them, continues to force the issue by trying to pas them on the path...

again i do agree that the person walking the dog needs to have control of the dog...and in this case it sounds like the walker DOES because you have not yet been bitten despite running past them regularly and the dog reacting the same way each time...
if she didnt have control over the dog, the jogger would have been bitten...

this dog may not typically be 'agressive' to normal passing people, but having a stranger RUNNING at its owner repetivitvly...well i can understand why that could be intimidating to any dog, big or small.

keeping a dog home all the time simply because you MIGHT come across a situation where you have to take charge of your dog in the situation is ridiculous...
especially if your trying to work on the dogs socialization issues...cant socilize a dog if it never leaves our house and you dont know many people locally.

ill use my own dog as an example, my female female is a sweetheart, incredibly soft natured, and submissive, and a little bit shy of strangers (normal for the breed) when were walking in the park and people aproach calmly and just walk past her shes fine...not a growl, not a posture, not a reaction, she simply keeps moving forward head up eyes on the prize...
however if someones running past she tenses and beomces uneasy...

in this case i think it would be common sense seeing this woman trying to correctly control her dog, that a jogger give them space...
its easier for 1 person to step off the path for a few seconds than it is for someone with an obviously uncomfortable dog to drag their dog off the path.

if this was a person with a double stroller...ok not agressive, but still unconvenient should the lady with the stroller get off the path or should the jogger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs