Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:29 AM

457 posts, read 889,365 times

Advertisements

http://www.city-data.com/forum/16844736-post2618.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
My labrador had a hard time with squirrels.

Yes...squirrels I think will be the most challenging for us! We just can't get past that "hard stare" of his! It'll take some time, but I'm sure we'll eventually get there. Luckily for me, he's a very fast learner, and LOVES our training sessions, so he tends to make some things easy for me!

Old 02-24-2011, 09:45 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,043,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittKat View Post
Yes...squirrels I think will be the most challenging for us! We just can't get past that "hard stare" of his! It'll take some time, but I'm sure we'll eventually get there. Luckily for me, he's a very fast learner, and LOVES our training sessions, so he tends to make some things easy for me!
When I see that he's getting that focused "hard stare" and I know he sees a squirrel or something I start talking to him.
In the past, when I wasn't paying attention and he's seen a squirrel I've had to literally sit down to hang on to his leash.

I've got a 3 acre lot with lots of squirrels and other dogs that want to visit when we go for walks.

Your neighborhood sounds like the perfect obstacle course for dog trainers!

Old 02-24-2011, 09:48 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,402,184 times
Quote:
Such a handsome boy...but I'm a bit partial!!
He is indeed a very handsome boy and it sounds like he is well on his way to being a very polite boy too! Thanks for posting the pic. He is gorgeous!

Old 02-24-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
When I see that he's getting that focused "hard stare" I start talking to him. In the past, when I wasn't paying attention and he's seen a squirrel or something I've had to literally sit down to hang on to his leash.

I've got a 3 acre lot with lots of squirrels and other dogs that want to visit when we go for walks.

Your neighborhood sounds like an obstacle course for dog trainers!

That's where I was always losing him before (right before and up to the stare). It's almost like he would completely disconnect from me. Yesterday he didn't at all, which was HUGE for us! It wouldn't have even mattered before if I talked to him, or threw chicken in front of him (yes, I tried that). He was just too intent on...whatever is was that he was focused on, he didn't even know I was there I don't think. I would literally have to stop, get in front of him, and put him to a sit to get him to calm down, but once I thought he was ok, and we'd start off again, disconnect! "In motion" has been our biggest obstacle so far...but it's getting better by the day! I'll probably give him another week before we hit squirrel alley!! lol

Old 02-24-2011, 09:57 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,043,047 times
Quote:
That's where I was always losing him before (right before and up to the stare). It's almost like he would completely disconnect from me. Yesterday he didn't at all, which was HUGE for us! It wouldn't have even mattered before if I talked to him, or threw chicken in front of him (yes, I tried that). He was just too intent on...whatever is was that he was focused on, he didn't even know I was there I don't think. I would literally have to stop, get in front of him, and put him to a sit to get him to calm down, but once I thought he was ok, and we'd start off again, disconnect! "In motion" has been our biggest obstacle so far...but it's getting better by the day! I'll probably give him another week before we hit squirrel alley!! lol
Oh yeah. I know that stare well.

Hunting instinct takes over... we're not part of the equation!

Old 02-24-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah. I know that stare well.

Hunting instinct takes over... we're not part of the equation!

LMAO...Exactly!!

Old 02-24-2011, 10:28 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times
I'm LOL, your walk reminds me of those obstacle-training courses for police officers! Great to hear he's doing so well, thanks for posting the pics.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:58 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,420,607 times
He's a beautiful boy! Do you have any idea why things fell into place yesterday?

Old 02-24-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
He's a beautiful boy! Do you have any idea why things fell into place yesterday?

Thank you!

I really wish I knew, that way I would know exactly what I did...or didn't do differently. Honestly, I think it's my faith in him more than anything. Before I really (and I mean really) started working with him on this issue...I always knew there would be a problem. He's always been a good leash walker, but then when it came to other factors, people, or other animals, he'd lose all attention to me.

Here lately, instead of working on other obedience training, I've solely worked on FOCUS and remaining calm. Each day I could see imporovement....and my confidence in him was building, so I guess his was too. Yesterday, as we started approaching the house with the 3 little dogs, we stopped (so I could take a moment), I talked to him and gave him some love, said..."you can do this puppy," and continued our walk. Well...he showed me that yes...in fact...he CAN do this.

I was completely floored when I said his name, and he immediately, without hesitation, turned around to look at me...I almost screamed with joy! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs