Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:33 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Oh yes, how can I forget, we'd like pics please!
I suppose that I should have taken photographs of her in the scruffy state, but I was too concerned with cleaning her up at the time.
Here are a couple taken a few minutes ago.
I didn’t want to wake her up!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 05:03 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Thank you for the advice, especially the bit about brushing her before bathing her, I hadn’t thought of the hair tightening up as being a problem. As for how matted she was, you couldn’t tell where the ears ended and the hair began. She had clumps about half the size of tennis balls all the way from her face, to her rear end, with many on her back.

Again, many thanks.
I've seen so many dogs, when I was grooming, that came in to the shop in the same matted mess as your girl. It just amazes me how people can let their dogs get to that point.

Good for you for taking her and making her feel better. She's a lucky girl!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:29 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
and i would absolutly say its taken longer than since christmas to get into that kind of shape.

sounds like shes certainly picked you
they are a great breed for those they bond with, and once in good shape typically a very healthy hardy breed that can do pretty much anything you set them too

Old 03-01-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
I've seen so many dogs, when I was grooming, that came in to the shop in the same matted mess as your girl. It just amazes me how people can let their dogs get to that point.

Good for you for taking her and making her feel better. She's a lucky girl!

The physical mess is only part of it, I have to build her confidence now. She is such a nervous dog, (I know she has been shouted at a lot), but judging by improvements already, she will be fine. Until today, she wouldn’t go into the garden without being on a lead. She also has a habit of barking at my cat, but this is out of fear, luckily he is quite tolerant.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
and i would absolutly say its taken longer than since christmas to get into that kind of shape.

sounds like shes certainly picked you
they are a great breed for those they bond with, and once in good shape typically a very healthy hardy breed that can do pretty much anything you set them too
Does seem like she's picked me. My partner says that she, (that is, the dog), would already be dead if it weren’t for me, this is more than likely true, due to the shelters not taking animals that haven’t been vaccinated, (we also had that done), not that she will be going to a shelter now.

Considering I was told that she was not house trained, I suppose I was taking a lot on. This turned out not to be true, you would think that when someone has had a dog for 6 years, they would know that it will only go outside on a lead, especially in the dark. (At moment, I have to get fully dressed in the middle of the night to take her outside to go to the toilet, and it’s really cold here). God only knows what the neighbours think I am doing, out at that time of night!

Last edited by BECLAZONE; 03-01-2011 at 11:51 AM..

Old 03-01-2011, 03:40 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Does seem like she's picked me. My partner says that she, (that is, the dog), would already be dead if it weren’t for me, this is more than likely true, due to the shelters not taking animals that haven’t been vaccinated, (we also had that done), not that she will be going to a shelter now.

Considering I was told that she was not house trained, I suppose I was taking a lot on. This turned out not to be true, you would think that when someone has had a dog for 6 years, they would know that it will only go outside on a lead, especially in the dark. (At moment, I have to get fully dressed in the middle of the night to take her outside to go to the toilet, and it’s really cold here). God only knows what the neighbours think I am doing, out at that time of night!
I don't know if anyone else has said it but THANK YOU FOR SAVING THIS GIRL! It sounds like she needed a champion and you have certainly stepped up to be that to her. I hope that you find that you need her as much as she needs you as its sounds to me like she has already decided who she belongs with. Again...thank you for helping her

Old 03-02-2011, 07:09 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
I have a 12 yr old mini schnauzer who absolutely detests being brushed and groomed. When she was younger, she would allow us to brush her, but as she has aged, she has gotten very grumpy about it, so it happens far less often than it should. Se is to the point now, that I have to muzzle her in order to brush her. Also, she is does not have the wirey coat of most schnauzers. Much of her hair is very soft and cottony, which makes her mat even worse. Even with that, for her to get as bad as you described it must have been many months since she was groomed. We usually have ours groomed about every 2-3 months. The only time she ever got as bad as you described was when she had to have some emergency surgery. It was time to have her groomed when we discovered a malignant tumor on one of her pads. They had to remove one of her toes. She was bandaged for quite some time, and we were not allowed to bath or groom her for a couple of months. By the time we were able to get her in to the groomer, she was in a terrible way. We just had her shaved down, and we started over. Now we shave her down at the beginning of each summer. It makes her so much cooler and happier. And yes, always brush her before you bathe her. We learned very early on what a mess it caused if we didn't.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:35 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
when i ended up deciding to keep ruby dog, she got returned to me because she "couldnt be housebroken" and according to their "very expensive" dog trainer and vet she has "a neurological disorder and will NEVER be able to be housebroken or trained" that was 3 1/2 years ago.
form the moment she got home she told me when she needed to go out, and hasnt had a single accident in that long...she knows all he basic obedience and has both her CGC and therapy certs...yup this dog who "could never be trained..."

i found out a couple of months later that the woman had kept her in a creat nearly all day and didnt let her out, they would also throw things at the crate when she whined, kick the crate, and hit it with the vacume. they would also throw high heeld shoes at her.

to this day shes terrified (painfully so) of vacume cleaners and the sound of high heeled shoes, and pretty much any sudden loud sound, im lucky that she actually likes her crate still i thought for sure after finding that out id never get her to sleep in a crate again...

the point being i guess is its absolutly possible the oner of 6 yrs of your new addition had no idea the dog could be housebroken simply due to lazyness, all dogs will have accidents if noone lets the dog out and instead of ralizing its her fault for not taking the dog out, they just blame the dog...

easier to blame an animal that cant stand up for itself than admit you screwed up.

your this dogs angel, and she will never let you forget how special you have been to her!

Old 03-03-2011, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I don't know if anyone else has said it but THANK YOU FOR SAVING THIS GIRL! It sounds like she needed a champion and you have certainly stepped up to be that to her. I hope that you find that you need her as much as she needs you as its sounds to me like she has already decided who she belongs with. Again...thank you for helping her
It’s nice to know that there are others that also care so deeply for animals, and appreciate what I am doing.

She’s definitely part of my life now, and surprising how quickly she has taken to me. It looks like she is here to stay.

Thank you.

Last edited by BECLAZONE; 03-03-2011 at 03:50 AM..

Old 03-03-2011, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I have a 12 yr old mini schnauzer who absolutely detests being brushed and groomed. When she was younger, she would allow us to brush her, but as she has aged, she has gotten very grumpy about it, so it happens far less often than it should. Se is to the point now, that I have to muzzle her in order to brush her. Also, she is does not have the wirey coat of most schnauzers. Much of her hair is very soft and cottony, which makes her mat even worse. Even with that, for her to get as bad as you described it must have been many months since she was groomed. We usually have ours groomed about every 2-3 months. The only time she ever got as bad as you described was when she had to have some emergency surgery. It was time to have her groomed when we discovered a malignant tumor on one of her pads. They had to remove one of her toes. She was bandaged for quite some time, and we were not allowed to bath or groom her for a couple of months. By the time we were able to get her in to the groomer, she was in a terrible way. We just had her shaved down, and we started over. Now we shave her down at the beginning of each summer. It makes her so much cooler and happier. And yes, always brush her before you bathe her. We learned very early on what a mess it caused if we didn't.
I think she probably has the same soft fur that your dog has, much of it is like soft wool. She seems quite good with a brush, but time will tell.
I thought the tale about when she was last trimmed or groomed, was a tall story.

Glad to see that your dog came through.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs