Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 11:56 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
Why?
I see very little even-handedness here and that is disappointing.

This conversation basically reads as... it's the Ahole neighbor's problem, dogs bark, he should be friendlier.

Fact is we only get half the story, we only assume the neighbor "started it" (like that matters) and, beyond the suggestion of a privacy fence, I see very few posters stepping up and telling the OP that it's her responsibility to stop the dog from barking! Most are more then happy to assume that the neighbor is just a jerk who antagonizes the dog and has done so since day one.

I am a dog owner, have been for decades, and I think personal responsibility is JOB #1 with dog ownership. If the neighbor is a jerk, then he's a jerk, letting your dog bark at him or his kids EVERY time they come into their own yard is wrong and only makes matters worse. It's just bad dog responsibility.

That's my opinion anyway. I'm not excusing the neighbor's behavior, my point is that his behavior is irrelevant as it pertains to personal responsibility with your own dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 12:09 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post

This conversation basically reads as... it's the Ahole neighbor's problem, dogs bark, he should be friendlier.

Fact is we only get half the story, we only assume the neighbor "started it" (like that matters) and, beyond the suggestion of a privacy fence, I see very few posters stepping up and telling the OP that it's her responsibility to stop the dog from barking! Most are more then happy to assume that the neighbor is just a jerk who antagonizes the dog and has done so since day one.

I am a dog owner, have been for decades, and I think personal responsibility is JOB #1 with dog ownership. If the neighbor is a jerk, then he's a jerk, letting your dog bark at him or his kids EVERY time they come into their own yard is wrong and only makes matters worse. It's just bad dog responsibility.

That's my opinion anyway. I'm not excusing the neighbor's behavior, my point is that his behavior is irrelevant as it pertains to personal responsibility with your own dog.
Point well taken, sir/ mam.
I "overlooked" the fact, and "assumed" automatically, that the dog/s would have been re-called and corrected. As a responsible dog owner myself, I did assume, that THAT was done.
Yes, I agree with you....letting the dogs bark at the neighbor is not good, and yes, without correction will get worse.
However.....all the correction in the world is not doing any good, if they (neighbors) deliberately come up, terrorize and antagonize the dog/s.
And, THAT'S the point in time, when the action and prevention of the flared temper and moods come in, and a privacy fence is installed.
Win- win for both sides....a situation diffused...neighbor and dogs safe from one another. Case closed.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
all the correction in the world is not doing any good, if they (neighbors) deliberately come up, terrorize and antagonize the dog/s.
I agree completely.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:09 AM

420 posts, read 2,199,443 times
The Boy Scout/Community Service Badge thing sounds like a great idea.

I'll be the 600th person to say do not debark your dog. If the neighbor suggests getting the dog debarked, I would tell him to get his lawnmower silenced, haha.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:09 AM

I live in a neighborhood of yippy little dogs, seems like every one of the old lady's on my street has 2 of them and they walk them round and round the loop, yipping at everything that moves, "setting off" every other dog they pass. While I loath the yipping I would NEVER condone debarking, IMO, it's just not right.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:24 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,090 times
Debarking a dog! I thought I had read that wrong ... need more coffee to get my eyes rolling!

Whoa ... what type of vet would do that unless it was for health reasons? Absolutely unbelievable! Why not just chop the poor dog's tail completely off and have done with it, then the poor thing has no means of communication.

I'm with Evey. Invest in a privacy fence.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:09 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Quote:

Really? I don't. I think some of the postings have pointed out that based on the OP's own words the OP seems to bear at least some of the responsibility

The dogs should not be barking at the neighbors, and in all truth, if you have dogs, you have a responsibility to have the proper fencing. With some dogs, especially larger ones, that might require a privacy fence.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Really? I don't. I think some of the postings have pointed out that based on the OP's own words the OP seems to bear at least some of the responsibility
After reading the thread from the start, that was/is my summation, we can agree to disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
The dogs should not be barking at the neighbors, and in all truth, if you have dogs, you have a responsibility to have the proper fencing. With some dogs, especially larger ones, that might require a privacy fence.
That's my point as well, but a large number of responders were on the "Dogs just bark" side of the argument as well. Which I find disappointing from a responsible dog ownership perspective and said so.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:56 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,719 times
Quote:

That's my point as well, but a large number of responders were on the "Dogs just bark" side of the argument as well. Which I find disappointing from a responsible dog ownership perspective and said so.

So you are saying that others who have a differing opinion than your own means they are irresponsible? C'mon....

I'm one of those you are referring to...about "dogs just bark".
And an irresponsible dog owner, I'm not.

My response was in regards to what the OP posted in the first post of this thread. I'm also giving that person the benefit of the doubt having had personal experience with impossible neighbors myself and from the looks of it quite a few others fall in that same boat.

I think the last quote from the OP sums it up nicely...and yeah, it's one sided...but again...I've been in the same unfortunate situation...and this person is only asking for advice...not to be scolded.

Quote:
Thanks to you all for your opinions. I don't let them bark to just annoy my neighbor and I do correct them if they do bark and bring them inside. I wish I could talk to my neighbor but since he has never once even looked my way since I moved in 2 years ago I don't feel talking to him would do much good. His wife is nice as are his kids when he isn't around. I will talk to her.
For the time being I found bamboo roll to put up along the part of the fence on his side of the yard. That being said I am going to check out getting a privacy fence.
Can anyone give me an idea of what it might cost? Example.. getting a floor installed, the labor cost the same amount as the floor. I know it depends on where you live but at least I would know if I was getting a good price.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
So you are saying that others who have a differing opinion than your own means they are irresponsible? C'mon....

I'm one of those you are referring to...about "dogs just bark".
And an irresponsible dog owner, I'm not.

My response was in regards to what the OP posted in the first post of this thread. I'm also giving that person the benefit of the doubt having had personal experience with impossible neighbors myself and from the looks of it quite a few others fall in that same boat.

I think the last quote from the OP sums it up nicely...and yeah, it's one sided...but again...I've been in the same unfortunate situation...and this person is only asking for advice...not to be scolded.
Do you let your dog bark incessantly at your neighbors? If so, then yes, I think that is irresponsible. I am of the opinion that the excuse of "dogs just bark" is a bad one. You are welcome to disagree with my opinion, that is your prerogative and the very nature of opinions.

I wasn't scolding the OP, I was mearly saying that there are 2 sides to every story and if my neighbors dog barked at me incessantly every time I was in my own yard I wouldn't be happy about it either. I said that I thought the neighbors behavior was almost irrelevant since it is the dog owners job to keep his pooch from being disruptive. I said that I most certainly did NOT support the neighbor's aggression.

Reading through with the (IMO)unbiased eye of a new-to-this-forum reader I felt a great many posts had a tone that was both surprising and disappointing TO ME, in my opinion.

EVERYONE is welcome to disagree with my opinion, WE ALL have the right to share our opinions and stand by them even if they are unpopular amongst the City-Data PETS forum lovefest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs