Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 11:45 AM

14,496 posts, read 26,510,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjlacey View Post
Who knows if the neighbor and/or his kids have harrassed the dogs. My dogs bark at my neighbor, but they do it to get attention and the neighbors know and understand. debarking a dog is cruel. try a bark collar.
Over time the dogs may quiet down- Mine was barking at the boxer next door (we have a huge pen/fenced) . Also I have heard bark collars do work. Good luck. I would never debark the dog- it does seem cruel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 12:47 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,074,737 times
I think Sponger42 and Sporin are right on track. They have suggested taking control and whether the neighbor is overly antagonistic or not is irrelevant. He is disturbed and if your dogs are barking at him, you need to fix it. Even though you may have no legal liability, it is the neighborly thing to do, to be considerate. I think the OP is trying to do the right thing here and I applaud her. My snookums is a real dope about his barking. He doesn't seem to ever think someone is OK no matter how often he sees them or if I acknowledge that they are "good guys"! So when my nice neighbor is in the yard he gives her the business every time. I always go immediately and speak with her and he then calms down and I am hoping in time he will get the message, the little stinker. But I always remove him and don't let him keep on keeping on.
So to get to the point, in addition, to the things suggested why could you not take the pups out to do their business on a leash and keep them on the opposite side of the fence with this neighbor. Then if they are quiet you coud spend time outside with the leash. If they start barking immediately correct and if they continue take them in. The constant correction with the leash should help, don't you think. And tell the neighbor's wife what you are doing to help. That would probably be much appreciated and probably would tone down the hostility.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:43 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,340,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcop View Post
I have never seen those signs, I believe they would not harm you in a liability action. It would be wise to check with the claims division of the insurance company you use for your homeowners/rental coverage.
Thanks Crashcop .

Unfortunately I live in Florida, and if you call your insurance company and bother them with a question, they immediately drop you . Not literally, but I don't contact them for anything - I'm lucky to be insured (don't want to rock the boat ).

Old 08-19-2007, 11:26 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,000,019 times
Found this thread last night while googling something like "call police on neighbors for barking dog".

It was a noisy day in my neighborhood yesterday, at least two houses were empty with dogs barking incessantly in the yard. The first call was made at 5 in the evening, the dogs had been barking constantly for hours.

The second call was at 930 at night. A different neighbor was absent, but fido wouldn't stop barking.

That's not acceptable in my town. The rest of the neighbors would like some peace and quiet. The officer arrives to verify the situation and leaves a note for the absent owners to contact him when they come home. That really gets their attention, and I expect the barking to be reduced significantly. Do you think they would do ANYTHING if I just stopped by to request less noise?

Sorry for you dog owners who have had neighbors call the police on you, but what do you expect? Maybe you should check your city ordinance on keeping pets before you complain.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:02 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,656,177 times
Put a little effort into training your dogs. A dog will always provide a warning but once the owner, master, is aware of the preceived threat the dog should remain quiet. It takes a little effort but it can be done. I trained my mini schnauzer that way and they are very vocal dogs. Now he is thirteen and his hearing is almost gone he can't hear my commands. I have trained him, with little effort to respond to hand signals.
Secondly, this is your neighbor, like it or not, ask him nicely for suggestions. If your dogs get to know him they probably won't look at him as a threat and will not bark. It's all in the training. If you don't have the time hire a trainer.
Don

Old 08-20-2007, 11:20 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,052,981 times
You are right if the dogs got to know him they wouldn't bark and if he didn't charge the fence or have his kids kick the fence or throw things at them then this wouldn't have happened in the first place.
I now stand outside and make corrections if they bark at anything. They pretty much ignore everything except another dog or cat now.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:58 PM

6 posts, read 5,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Do you think they would do ANYTHING if I just stopped by to request less noise?
Couldn't agree more. Anyone who lets their dogs bark at neighbors - especially after receiving complaints - is a sociopath. These types have NO RIGHT to complain when someone reports them to authorities for allowing their dogs to create a nuisance and infringe on the rights of others to enjoy their own property. It's not that hard to shut your dog up. If you're too stupid to perform your own corrections, either keep your mutt inside or put a bark collar on it.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:30 PM

3,602 posts, read 9,014,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownGuy View Post
Couldn't agree more. Anyone who lets their dogs bark at neighbors - especially after receiving complaints - is a sociopath. These types have NO RIGHT to complain when someone reports them to authorities for allowing their dogs to create a nuisance and infringe on the rights of others to enjoy their own property. It's not that hard to shut your dog up. If you're too stupid to perform your own corrections, either keep your mutt inside or put a bark collar on it.

I see you're new to CD so you may not understand the date stamp at the top left corner of the posts, this thread has been dead since August of 2007. You may want to also read up on the terms of service and see that personal attacks, like calling someone a sociopath and stupid are not considered acceptable behavior. Happy Holidays!

Old 12-25-2012, 07:48 AM

9,352 posts, read 19,943,214 times
I'll never understand why dog-haters choose to come into this forum to post.....

Old 12-27-2012, 07:31 PM

175 posts, read 587,791 times
It looks like he just joined this month and went back to 2007 reading posts...........and I just commented on it......my bad
Oh well. Happy New Year everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs