Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 03:39 PM

455 posts, read 1,238,794 times

Advertisements

Lets develop a worldwide database of dogs and owners, we are more than half way there with microchipping, in the UK microchipping will be compulsory in 2012.

Any dog owner who is reported and found guilty of animal neglect or animal cruelty should be banned from keeping animals and the date of the conviction registered against their name on the database.

Lets then take it a stage further a dog owners licence. To obtain a full dog licence an owner should hold a dog handling certificate coupled with knowledge of caring for a dog and knowledge of the current dog laws.

Without a licence a person cannot acquire a pup/dog. People will still acquire dogs without a licence and get away with it but if a dog or owner breaks the law then the punishment should be more severe for a person who is not licenced,

Breeders and Rescue Centres would be under an obligation to request sight of a current dog owners licence before selling a pup/dog.

How many dogs would be saved from neglect by educating people on how to look after a dog properly.

Its an idea that needs a bit of thought, but personally I would be right behind a scheme like this.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:52 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
This is what the law is around here. They must be allowed access to water and shelter - if not, get AC on the phone. I know now that they are very backlogged and I must keep calling back OR I can get a supervisor on the phone. The latter is the only way to get them to show up eventually.

When I first moved here, years ago, there was one pitbull that had a doghouse that was broken down and too small for him anyway. He was chained to it, with a small patch of dirt to lay on 24/7. I finally got so disturbed, I put an ad in the paper, giving the address, and asking for someone to donate a decent dog house.
Next thing I knew, the dog and the people were gone. They moved! I consider that a success.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:02 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suei View Post
Lets develop a worldwide database of dogs and owners, we are more than half way there with microchipping, in the UK microchipping will be compulsory in 2012.

Any dog owner who is reported and found guilty of animal neglect or animal cruelty should be banned from keeping animals and the date of the conviction registered against their name on the database.

Lets then take it a stage further a dog owners licence. To obtain a full dog licence an owner should hold a dog handling certificate coupled with knowledge of caring for a dog and knowledge of the current dog laws.

Without a licence a person cannot acquire a pup/dog. People will still acquire dogs without a licence and get away with it but if a dog or owner breaks the law then the punishment should be more severe for a person who is not licenced,

Breeders and Rescue Centres would be under an obligation to request sight of a current dog owners licence before selling a pup/dog.

How many dogs would be saved from neglect by educating people on how to look after a dog properly.

Its an idea that needs a bit of thought, but personally I would be right behind a scheme like this.
I agree, but unfortunately the animal population will NEVER be controlled. For instance, down here in Florida and all over the south there are rural areas where backyard breeders are hidden from the general public. There are long dirt driveways that lead to God only knows what. My son saw it working part time for UPS. He saw adult dogs and puppies piled in crates 8 feet or so high full of dogs in the woods on one property. I called on the one address I could get. The others had no numbers. He took me back and tried to show me that one with the crates but it was scary and too risky. These are real backwoods rednecks and they have the right to shoot you and they will if you enter their property.
Who is to say how many dogs people have behind those privacy fences and what kind of abuse and neglect is going on with them.

Right here by me is a perfect example. One night last year it was late, 2am and I heard these dogs barking. I was shocked they were outside in that cold. It was a low of 29 degrees here with a wind chill and those dogs were out, laying in dirt holes in the ground.
It was then that I started to pay attention. Those dogs needed help and a voice to help them!

So no, it can never be controlled. It is a sad world for the animals, as man is their worst enemy!

Old 04-11-2011, 08:07 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,475 times
I guess I should have expected the angry response from a dog forum, probably safer to insult the marines in a military forum. Maybe my posts came across as a little cold (sunday night before work, worst mood possible). I wish I would have put it differently.

I guess when it comes down to it, I love my dogs, not all dogs, which is where I differ from others in this forum. I can't really comprehend taking pictures of my neighbors back yard and posting them on a internet site, but hey that's me.

Maybe this has been discussed and I just didn't see it, have you ever considered talking to your neighbor ? I know the person may not take it well, but that may be affective. Sometimes people get caught up in there lives and don't even realize there is a problem.

As for the "I've seen my fair share of Everests" comments, just stop. I've rescued my fair share of animals. For all you guys know this neighbor of the OP could be having problems in his life, working double shifts to survive, and just be neglecting his dogs. Abuse and neglect are different things in my eyes. Maybe he just honestly doesn't know what he is doing. Sometimes I think the human element is lost on dog lovers, and because your dog is the center of your life, everyone else is the same. Well, that's not the case. Not condoning this guy, but talk to him instead of driving yourself crazy all day and calling an Animal Control service strapped for cash and unmotivated.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:47 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post

Maybe this has been discussed and I just didn't see it, have you ever considered talking to your neighbor ? I know the person may not take it well, but that may be affective. Sometimes people get caught up in there lives and don't even realize there is a problem.

For all you guys know this neighbor of the OP could be having problems in his life, working double shifts to survive, and just be neglecting his dogs. Abuse and neglect are different things in my eyes. Maybe he just honestly doesn't know what he is doing. Sometimes I think the human element is lost on dog lovers, and because your dog is the center of your life, everyone else is the same. Well, that's not the case. Not condoning this guy, but talk to him instead of driving yourself crazy all day and calling an Animal Control service strapped for cash and unmotivated.
OMG, you really haven't read the thread, have you?

Old 04-11-2011, 09:52 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,423,079 times
<<just be neglecting his dogs>> - neglecting them to the point where they have no water, shelter and barely any food - ?! - just this past weekend in FL 1 pug died and another almost died of heatstroke thx to their owners who decided to go shopping and decided to leave them in a hot car (see link below) - should they be excused b/c they may have had other things on their minds - ? - I dont think so, the one poor pug suffered and lost his life b/c of their neglect and thoughtlessness and the other suffered as well, and it was only b/c a pug rescue in FL intervened and spent a ton of $$ that the female was saved. Kudo's to that rescue group for going the extra mile and saving the female. Please dont neglect your dogs in this hot muggy weather (or any time really), leave them home instead of taking them for errands.

Dog dies in car Altamonte Mall: Two women arrested after dog left to die in hot car - OrlandoSentinel.com

Here's hoping the 2 neglected dogs soon have a happy and secure future, I know the OP is doing everything she can but she has to stay safe herself, I just hope AC gets actively involved soon so these poor dogs have a chance.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:01 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,404,704 times
Quote:
I guess I should have expected the angry response from a dog forum, probably safer to insult the marines in a military forum. Maybe my posts came across as a little cold (sunday night before work, worst mood possible). I wish I would have put it differently.

I guess when it comes down to it, I love my dogs, not all dogs, which is where I differ from others in this forum. I can't really comprehend taking pictures of my neighbors back yard and posting them on a internet site, but hey that's me.

As for the "I've seen my fair share of Everests" comments, just stop. I've rescued my fair share of animals. For all you guys know this neighbor of the OP could be having problems in his life, working double shifts to survive, and just be neglecting his dogs. Abuse and neglect are different things in my eyes. Maybe he just honestly doesn't know what he is doing. Sometimes I think the human element is lost on dog lovers, and because your dog is the center of your life, everyone else is the same. Well, that's not the case. Not condoning this guy, but talk to him instead of driving yourself crazy all day and calling an Animal Control service strapped for cash and unmotivated.
Very good analogy about "insulting Marines in a military forum". I'm glad to hear that you have been involved in rescue too. If you read a lot of the posts in this forum, I think you will find that most of the people that post here are committed to dogs, ALL dogs. The philosophy you will hear the most is that there is no way to save all of them but making a difference in this one dog's life is a way to help. That is what the OP is trying to do. Make a difference in her small corner of this world. Sure the neighbor may have problems, we all do. Leaving the dogs without adequate water, interaction or housing is not acceptable. They accepted the responsibility of caring for an animal and should be held to it. If I was in Blondie's shoes, I'd be just as involved as she is. Quite frankly, I've done more than take a couple of pictures and spay water over the fence to help dogs in need. You may not agree with it but I hope with this explaination you can understand it a little better.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:13 AM

426 posts, read 1,570,694 times
Quote:

I support Everest's point of view here. The OP only sees what she sees, not what goes on inside, and it really seems like she's spending an inordinate amount of time worrying about her someone else's business. To each their own, but there is an awful lot of emotional freaked-outedness in this thread. A lot of hand-wringing, and frankly I'm appalled by the insults and name calling of these poor neighbors. Please do talk to them face to face, instead of demonizing them on an internet forum where they can't defend themselves. They are human beings, too, and worthy of the same respect and benefit of the doubt that any of us deserve.

Dogs are dogs. They are animals, not furry children, and things like warm water and being outside, and being in the dark at night are not traumatic to them. Dogs can actually see much better in the dark than humans can, closer to the way cats do. So the "poor doggies in the dark" can probably see just fine, and are in no way traumatized by the natural state of the night being dark. Digging dens in the dirt is also natural behavior for dogs, especially husky type dogs - my own dog does this when she goes out in the backyard, on her own volition, and enjoys laying there even when the door is open and she can come inside if she wants. My two cents anyway.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:09 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
I support Everest's point of view here. The OP only sees what she sees, not what goes on inside, and it really seems like she's spending an inordinate amount of time worrying about her someone else's business. To each their own, but there is an awful lot of emotional freaked-outedness in this thread. A lot of hand-wringing, and frankly I'm appalled by the insults and name calling of these poor neighbors. Please do talk to them face to face, instead of demonizing them on an internet forum where they can't defend themselves. They are human beings, too, and worthy of the same respect and benefit of the doubt that any of us deserve.

Dogs are dogs. They are animals, not furry children, and things like warm water and being outside, and being in the dark at night are not traumatic to them. Dogs can actually see much better in the dark than humans can, closer to the way cats do. So the "poor doggies in the dark" can probably see just fine, and are in no way traumatized by the natural state of the night being dark. Digging dens in the dirt is also natural behavior for dogs, especially husky type dogs - my own dog does this when she goes out in the backyard, on her own volition, and enjoys laying there even when the door is open and she can come inside if she wants. My two cents anyway.
Excuse me the poor neighbors ? the neighbors are drunks and druggies and are not worth respect . anyone who treats their animals the way blondie describes is not worthy of respect . You should read how the neighbor talks to his significant other that was enough for me to tell what type of people they are . If you dont have the money to take care of your animals if you are that cash strapped , re home them . It is as simple as that . Also to clue you in here they are not just dogs they are a member of my family . I will thank you to understand how we feel and for you to call us freaked out is uncalled for . WE care about our animals and I will not apologize for that nor will I apologize for going to Katrina and taking lost , starving and water logged dogs and cats and what have you . I for one am proud to be an animal freaked out whatever LOL !!!

Old 04-12-2011, 07:47 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post

Yes...they are fury children.

If I say any more I would be banned so I will leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs