Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 09:11 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times

Advertisements

I think "scoped" is the right word? My beagle inhaled something in the barn a few weeks ago that led to a great deal of violent sneezing (with blood in the beginning). Her sneezing slowed down but didn't stop, so my vet wants to scope her nose tomorrow. For that, she has to have a general anesthetic. She is 14 1/2.

She won't be 'out' long since my appointment is at 1 pm and I can pick up her later that same afternoon, although my vet has in the past, due to the care I take for my dogs, allowed my dogs to go home sooner than he might with someone else.

Has anyone ever had something similar happen to their dog and what should I be expecting? I am scared to death for anything to happen to her due to her age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 09:20 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Oh my gosh, I have no idea but I'll be thinking about you and your girl, and sending good thoughts to both of you.

Please post as soon as you have an update, or when she's home, so that we can know that she's fine.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:24 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,920,337 times
Netwit,
Did your vet run a blood panel and check your beagles heart before suggesting putting her under anesthesia? Just asking, since she's an advanced age and I wouldn't put my 12 year old MinPin under, until she was fully checked out.
Wishing you both a successful endoscopy. Please keep us updated.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:44 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I think "scoped" is the right word? My beagle inhaled something in the barn a few weeks ago that led to a great deal of violent sneezing (with blood in the beginning). Her sneezing slowed down but didn't stop, so my vet wants to scope her nose tomorrow. For that, she has to have a general anesthetic. She is 14 1/2.

She won't be 'out' long since my appointment is at 1 pm and I can pick up her later that same afternoon, although my vet has in the past, due to the care I take for my dogs, allowed my dogs to go home sooner than he might with someone else.

Has anyone ever had something similar happen to their dog and what should I be expecting? I am scared to death for anything to happen to her due to her age.
Hope all has gone well. Please let us know how she is doing!

Old 03-01-2011, 07:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I don't have experience with the nasal scope, but I do have experience with dogs having anesthesia.

Sure, anesthesia is a risk, but you have no choice because your dog needs whatever is in his nose removed, especially since it's bleeding and he is in pain.

I hope everything is okay. Please give an update tomorrow. You and she are in my thoughts.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:16 AM

How is she? And how are you?

Old 03-02-2011, 01:19 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
I do hope your dog did well and they got what ever it was out of her nose. Dash had a rhinoscopy done at 10.5 yrs to see if he had nasal cancer which he did and has since died. And at 14.5 Jazz had to be put under anesthesia for an MRI and they both did well and came home a few hours later, but yes it is always a risk especially for the older dogs. The hours you wait can be nerve wracking too! Hope all is well now.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:47 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Luba is fine and she had a foxtail two inches up her nose! I just got her home about an hour ago (I'm rural, so I had a drive to make). She is still woozy but they just gave her gas so as to limit the time she spent under.

I was so worried that I felt like forgetting the whole thing. I am relieved that she DID have something up her nose because I would have felt terrible if I had had a over-reaction. But I waited 3 whole weeks, hoping she would snort out whatever was in there. She originally was sneezing and shaking her head to beat the band, and I did call the vet and he said to wait a while to see if she sneezed it out.

But her sneezing later became less frequent, and I was beginning to think that maybe there was nothing in there. Then on Sunday she began sneezing all over again. So...

I didn't sleep the whole night, so I am going to take a nap now that I know she's okay.

And she finally lost 4 pounds, which also makes me happy. I'd like her to lose another 2 or 3, if hubby can keep himself from sabotaging her diet.

Whew! *wiping the sweat off my brow.*

Old 03-02-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Luba is fine and she had a foxtail two inches up her nose! I just got her home about an hour ago (I'm rural, so I had a drive to make). She is still woozy but they just gave her gas so as to limit the time she spent under.

I was so worried that I felt like forgetting the whole thing. I am relieved that she DID have something up her nose because I would have felt terrible if I had had a over-reaction. But I waited 3 whole weeks, hoping she would snort out whatever was in there. She originally was sneezing and shaking her head to beat the band, and I did call the vet and he said to wait a while to see if she sneezed it out.

But her sneezing later became less frequent, and I was beginning to think that maybe there was nothing in there. Then on Sunday she began sneezing all over again. So...

I didn't sleep the whole night, so I am going to take a nap now that I know she's okay.

And she finally lost 4 pounds, which also makes me happy. I'd like her to lose another 2 or 3, if hubby can keep himself from sabotaging her diet.

Whew! *wiping the sweat off my brow.*
I'm sooooooo happy to hear that Luba's fine! And that you're fine... albeit exhausted. Sorry for bugging you in PM -- I was just so concerned about Luba.

Have a good sleeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:20 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
Glad to hear that all is well and the foxtail is out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs