Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 14,465 times

Advertisements

I have a 1-1/2 year old chocolate lab (male). He's a very friendly and laid back dog. No aggression and wouldn't even know how to fight. He LOVES other dogs. I had been taking him to the dog park recently, but changed my mind when he was almost attacked by another dog. I'm not willing to put him in a situation anymore where I have to hope that other dog owners are leaving their aggressive dogs at home.

I've always been a two-dog person, but my last experience was horrific. I had two shelter rescues (adopted at different times). My mistake.. they were both males. I lived through 11 years of constantly being on edge and on the lookout to spot a fight coming. There were many.. no serious injuries, other than on my nerves and state of mind. They both lived out their lives, but it was a horribly trying time.

I'm now looking at getting another dog, as my dog is so social and just loves to play with other dogs.

I do work at home and probably am gone from the home only about 8 hours of the week.

I found an adorable dog at the shelter today. She is a 6 month old Shar Pei mix. She's on hold until tomorrow when I bring my dog in to have a "meet and greet."

In going over the information that I've been able to find online, I'm now certain that one of my old dogs was a Shar Pei mix -he was the instigator.. the starter of the brutal fights.

My lab is laid back.. she's a Shar Pei mix. Should I be worried about a Shar Pei with another dog in the house? Most of what I've found online tells me I should be. My experience with my Shar Pei mix tells me all hell could break loose.. however, that past experience was with two male dogs. This would be a 1-1/2 year old male and a 6-month female.

Part of me says to wait and get a dog that is known for being laid back and mellow .. the other part tells me I'm worrying about nothing.

Any opinions or experience from anyone that has had a Shar Pei mix in the house with other dogs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 08:50 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Not with that breed but with plenty of male/female dogs of various breeds at a time. I had a Chow mix female who got along with the male golden retriever male I had.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:07 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,419,517 times
A male-female combination is often easier than same-sex. In my, somewhat limited, experience most shar-peis aren 't dog aggressive. Did you ask them at the shelter how she is with other dogs there? If the meet and greet goes well, I wouldn't worry so much about dog aggression. Being home so much is wonderful, you'll be able to see how things are going and help them with any issues they have getting settled in together. Here's hoping you and both of these dogs have many happy years together.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:06 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
My brother had a shar pei and he was very social with other dogs and loved spending a day playing with Jazz and Dash or my parents two dogs. Never at all aggressive towards them. The only time he was aggressive was towards people he did not know coming into his yard which considering they are guard dogs makes sense.They even had gotten both bull dog pupppies while the shar pei was still alive and both pups loved to give him a hard time and he tolerated them well.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:44 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
It all depends on the dogs...chemistry is everything. Good luck on the meet.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:05 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,178,163 times
I have always had a shar-pei or a shar-pei mix and they are wonderful, loving dogs. Here are two photos of the two I had

Her first day with her new playmate

I still have a mixed one and it was as if she was born trained. I can't say enough good things about the breed. There are only really two draw backs to owning a shar-pei and one is they are not known for their longevity and you can expect anything after 9 years old. The other is they are known for a horredous blister type skin disorder and often require injects and treatments for it. I know eventually though I will get another one I do love the bread. Additionally, they were both females in a house of females so that didn't have any reprecussions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs