Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 01:09 PM

3,737 posts, read 12,367,007 times

Advertisements

Well...we are counting down the days to our move to the new house. With any luck we will not have to stay at a hotel since our closing on this house has been pushed back 10 days. Our Sammie (aka...her highness the hound) is not taking this process well! Our little girl hasn't ever been through a move before. All she knows is that more and more of "her" house is vanishing (i.e. I'm packing boxes). She isn't a good one for changes to her environment. When it gets to be too much for her, she just shuts down and shakes. I think its as hard on me to see it as it is for her to go through it. Mariah and Gator are doing their part to help her by just acting normally. I'm also taking her on her daily walks so that helps relieve some of her stress (and mine!). There are definately times I wish she understood english so I could tell her whats going on and that its a good thing - not bad!

Whew...I'll just be happy when we are in the new house! I hope Sammie holds it together until then! For that matter....I also hope my back holds it together until then too!

Last edited by Va-Cat; 03-06-2011 at 01:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 01:38 PM

18,656 posts, read 33,254,654 times
She'll be fine. Maybe you could crate her or close her in her favorite room while most ruckus is taking place. As long as she has her people, she'll adjust.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:09 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,973,152 times
poor little sammie.... they just don't do well with upheavals in their routine, do they??

maybe you could give her some valerian root?? it is an herbal supplement that helps with calming.... you can get it in the vitamin aisle at walmart or your drugstore.... i give bailey one when i know a thunderstorm is on the way and it helps tremendously.... i had tried melatonin, but the valerian root does much better......

i just drag the capsule through some peanut butter and she never knows that she is being "dosed."

Old 03-06-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
poor little sammie.... they just don't do well with upheavals in their routine, do they??

maybe you could give her some valerian root?? it is an herbal supplement that helps with calming.... you can get it in the vitamin aisle at walmart or your drugstore.... i give bailey one when i know a thunderstorm is on the way and it helps tremendously.... i had tried melatonin, but the valerian root does much better......

i just drag the capsule through some peanut butter and she never knows that she is being "dosed."
Thats a great idea! I tried a thundershirt but it ended up in shreds I just feel bad for her and hate it when she shakes She should be better once we have moved.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:26 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,920,120 times
Poor baby girl!

When we moved last time, I cuddled with Artie and kept telling him that we'd always be together. Of course that didn't help him one bit -- he didn't understand -- but it helped me relax somewhat. We'll be moving again as soon as we sell this house, and I hope Artie realizes (this time) that he's stuck with me forever. Now that I think of it, he was fine (except for when the movers were here) -- it was *me* who was a mess.

I hope that the valerian root offers her some relief. I'm glad that Mariah and Gator are acting normally -- I imagine that helps EVERYONE, even Sammie (maybe she would've been worse if not for that).

It'll all be over soon...

Old 03-07-2011, 07:45 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,043,924 times
Poor Sammie! Sure hope she feels better soon.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:23 AM

7,357 posts, read 12,598,483 times
Do you go back and forth to the new house with boxes, or is it too far away for that? If it's in the same town, bring a few of Sammie's things and leave them there, then on the next visit, bring Sammie and let her find her things ("Go find your ball!"), have the run of the place, and get used to the smells. Then, when you make the big move, she'll at least recognize the place and her stuff. That's what we did when we moved with our First Dog many years ago. It helped her anxiety and confusion, and she adjusted fairly quickly, even if she kept sitting by the garage door for months afterwards, in the new house, asking to be taken home...

PS And let her find your stuff from home in the new house, too, of course!, if you take her for a visit That'll help her understand that it is going to be "home."

Last edited by Clark Fork Fantast; 03-07-2011 at 09:36 AM..

Old 03-07-2011, 10:04 AM

553 posts, read 1,628,459 times
Aw, poor Sammie. I can imagine what you guys are going through. Lanie had a hard time with the move as well, though not as bad as Sammie. She didn't like seeing the old house packed up. This sounds gross, but we put dirty clothes on her bed, and she seemed to like burrowing in something that smelled like us.

It took a few months for her to get back to normal (whatever that is) after we moved, but now she's happy and queen of the house. I am sure Sammie will settle in just fine after you move.

I also recommend rescue remedy or benadryl for Sammie, and a nice Cabernet for mom

Old 03-07-2011, 10:34 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,920,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
I also recommend rescue remedy or benadryl for Sammie, and a nice Cabernet for mom
Snort!!!

Thanks for the giggle.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
Aw, poor Sammie. I can imagine what you guys are going through. Lanie had a hard time with the move as well, though not as bad as Sammie. She didn't like seeing the old house packed up. This sounds gross, but we put dirty clothes on her bed, and she seemed to like burrowing in something that smelled like us.

It took a few months for her to get back to normal (whatever that is) after we moved, but now she's happy and queen of the house. I am sure Sammie will settle in just fine after you move.

LOL - make that a strong rum & coke and ya got it about right! Sammie seems calmer today so maybe she is getting used to boxes being everywhere. I'm not having as much luck with DH though. He is suddenly finding that he "needs" things I've already packed If that man roots around in one more packed and labeled box, I think I'll beat him with my tape dispenser. Tomorrow is trash day and he also has no idea of the "treasures" that are being put out to the curb (after he leaves for work of course.) That man is the original pack rat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs