U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-08-2011, 12:14 PM
 
5,546 posts, read 8,611,010 times
Reputation: 2763

Advertisements

My soon to be next door neighbor and I are having some major issues during his construction project that I won't get into. He won't talk to me about these issues and so I filed a formal complaint with the city and the city sided with me. He was told to knock off the top block of our fence that he built up without my permission. The contractor said he'd take them down yesterday or today and they remain.

My dog's yard is right on the other side of our fence. Of course, I don't know what this guy is capable of. I just walked around the yard and found a piece of metal with 8 sharp prongs sticking up. Have no idea how it got there but it sure didn't come from my house. Could have been something that the landscapers somehow left on the ground (although I don't know what that would be).

Of course, my worst fear is that this guy is a nutcase and would do something to hurt my dogs, as in maybe even throw a piece of meat with poison over the fence.

Am I just being paranoid? I had that yard built for them to protect them from the pool. If I don't let them out there anymore, that means we go on a leash all the time on the other side of the house to go potty outside.

Any opinions? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2011, 12:21 PM
 
3,593 posts, read 10,679,163 times
Reputation: 5207
Good grief...is this about your wall again? Haven't you beaten that subject to death by now? Leave the guy alone and I'm sure he will do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 12:22 PM
 
5,546 posts, read 8,611,010 times
Reputation: 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Good grief...is this about your wall again? Haven't you beaten that subject to death by now? Leave the guy alone and I'm sure he will do the same.
No, this is about my dogs. And if you don't have an opinion on my question there is no need to respond to my thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
4,033 posts, read 8,593,062 times
Reputation: 4912
Well, paranoia can sometimes save us. The bottom line is that you have no definitive proof that the metal was placed in your yard intentionally. However, you also do not have proof that it wasn't.

Given the probs you are having with your neighbor, I would err on the side of caution and make sure you do not let your dog out of your sight. You neighbor may or not be capable of hurting your dog, so why give him/her the chance? It certainly wouln't be unheard of, especially b/c you have filed and won a complaint.

In short, I don't think you are being paranoid, I think that you are being vigilant and wary wrt your dog's safety, which is suitable in this case. However, I also agree that you shouldn't overthink it and start making accusations or anything. Just say away from your neighbor or move if you really feel unsafe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 12:25 PM
 
5,546 posts, read 8,611,010 times
Reputation: 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Well, paranoia can sometimes save us. The bottom line is that you have no definitive proof that the metal was placed in your yard intentionally. However, you also do not have proof that it wasn't.

Given the probs you are having with your neighbor, I would err on the side of caution and make sure you do not let your dog out of your sight. You neighbor may or not be capable of hurting your dog, so why give him/her the chance? It certainly wouln't be unheard of, especially b/c you have filed complaint.

In short, I don't think you are being paranoid, I think that you are being vigilant and wary wrt your dog's safety, which is suitable in this case.
Thank you for your response. I won't let them out of my sight and will have to be vigilant. I once knew someone who was not liked by those who worked for him and they poisoned his dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 12:29 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX, USA
5,142 posts, read 11,472,752 times
Reputation: 2505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Of course, my worst fear is that this guy is a nutcase and would do something to hurt my dogs, as in maybe even throw a piece of meat with poison over the fence.

Am I just being paranoid? I had that yard built for them to protect them from the pool. If I don't let them out there anymore, that means we go on a leash all the time on the other side of the house to go potty outside.
It happened to us when I was a kid (our dog being poisoned).
I don't think you are being paranoid, just being careful. If your dog goes out in the yard, do a quick look every time to see if there is anything out there your dog may eat or injure your dog.
Hope things smooth over soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,668 posts, read 26,737,164 times
Reputation: 26642
Paranoid? Nope.
Living next to a wackjob? Yup.
Better safe than sorry? Absolutely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 12:34 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
13,821 posts, read 18,779,327 times
Reputation: 24495
No you are not being paranoid but you should have taken pictures of that and got the police out there and filed a report also put cameras up while they are there . That way if anything happens you can sue the snot out of them for damages , injury to your pets (vet bills if neccesary ) and any other damage to your property which comes from them . Yes also check your yard throughly or keep your dogs on a leash while they potty out there and put them back inside your house when they are done then maybe when this guy gets through with whatever he is doing your yard will be safe or you could put up a privacy fence like my mom did she put hers up 7 ft high instead of the usual 6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 12:35 PM
 
5,546 posts, read 8,611,010 times
Reputation: 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
It happened to us when I was a kid (our dog being poisoned).
I don't think you are being paranoid, just being careful. If your dog goes out in the yard, do a quick look every time to see if there is anything out there your dog may eat or injure your dog.
Hope things smooth over soon.
I'm so sorry that happened to you and your poor dog. I am thinking I may just hire someone to build another area away from that part of the yard. Yes, it will look stupid, but better safe than sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 12:40 PM
 
5,546 posts, read 8,611,010 times
Reputation: 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
No you are not being paranoid but you should have taken pictures of that and got the police out there and filed a report also put cameras up while they are there . That way if anything happens you can sue the snot out of them for damages , injury to your pets (vet bills if neccesary ) and any other damage to your property which comes from them . Yes also check your yard throughly or keep your dogs on a leash while they potty out there and put them back inside your house when they are done then maybe when this guy gets through with whatever he is doing your yard will be safe or you could put up a privacy fence like my mom did she put hers up 7 ft high instead of the usual 6.

Thanks, I don't think I'm being paranoid either. If anything were to happen, I'd be devastated. I am afraid since they are so small they could die. Like I said, I think I'll build some sort of temporary fence off the patio on the other end of the house and just bite the bullet and be safe. It can always be taken down when and if I move.

As to the actual piece of metal, could be something that just flew over the fence accidentally. But if they had stepped on it, I'd be at the Vet right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top