Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 05:34 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,110 times

Advertisements

When I used the prong I took a pair of pliers and squeezed the prongs very lightly so that it was easier to hook them. I never had a problem with them coming undone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 05:37 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Yes, what is helping with Rip is we run he beside a pick up truck 5 miles now before we try anything.

It slows him down a little.
You realize that you're just building up his endurance, right?

LOL!

Old 03-16-2011, 05:42 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
As well you should. An excellent collar! There is nothing cheap about it. Not the design...not the release...and unfortunately...not the price!
I agree. They are made very well. You just have to get your fingers strong enough to undo the links. That took me forever and I admit that in the beginning, if my dh was out of town, the pinch stayed on my dog all the time as once I got it off, I couldn't put it back on! Now, it isn't a big deal at all.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:11 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You realize that you're just building up his endurance, right?

LOL!
Yes..That is our intent.

He will be competing in bear hunt trails.

He is up to 7 miles now.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:02 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
When I used the prong I took a pair of pliers and squeezed the prongs very lightly so that it was easier to hook them. I never had a problem with them coming undone.
My pup sprung a link in his tonight while we were out. I did not have him double leashed and he ran off after rabbits and into traffic. Please don't use one without a secondary restraint system.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:01 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
My pup sprung a link in his tonight while we were out. I did not have him double leashed and he ran off after rabbits and into traffic. Please don't use one without a secondary restraint system.
I would consider using larger links (taller) to avoid that - it seems like the smaller the link, the more risk that some dogs can get out of them. You can probably return that collar for a new one.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:15 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
I would consider using larger links (taller) to avoid that - it seems like the smaller the link, the more risk that some dogs can get out of them. You can probably return that collar for a new one.
These were tall/large links. Seriously, prong collars will spring. Maybe it is worth risking the life of your dog not to use a secondary restraint. I was fortunate that mine wasn't killed the other night. I don't intend to take that chance again and I do not apologize for warning others of the risk!

Old 03-21-2011, 02:45 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
These were tall/large links. Seriously, prong collars will spring. Maybe it is worth risking the life of your dog not to use a secondary restraint. I was fortunate that mine wasn't killed the other night. I don't intend to take that chance again and I do not apologize for warning others of the risk!
I still haven't used mine yet; haven't even fitted Artie for it. I did, however, use all my strength to remove two of the links, so it's surprising to me -- although I am by no means doubting you! -- that they would spring on their own.

Is yours by Herm Sprenger? If so, you'll see it imprinted on at least three "flats" within the collar.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:42 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
The better option is to use the prong with a dominant dog collar. It adds another layer of control and provides a backup collar should the prong collar come apart.

There is a good video tutorial on proper fitting of a prong collar as well as an explanation of how to use a prong collar with a dominant dog collar here; Leerburg | Prong Collars and Fur Saver Collars

I've rarely seen a properly fitted prong collar come apart but it can happen.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:49 PM

246 posts, read 279,005 times
Default Prong Collar

I have used a prong collar successfully on several dogs that were stronger than me.
It does not hurt them, put it around your wrist and pull tight you will see how it works.
I would only use it for training and never leave it on them without supervision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs