Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:07 PM

518 posts, read 2,060,526 times

Advertisements

Try feeding her baby food, like chicken and rice. I would talk to a different vet---second opinion for sure. I also agree that the teeth need to be looked at. Wish you and her the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 08:27 PM

14 posts, read 71,801 times
Enlarged spleen size definitely seems indicative of something not right. Elevated/altered liver enzymes, can be indicative, but only if above a certain level of change. Also, the unusual type of poop is definitely weird, but could also have something to do with not eating normally. Any chance that your dog ate something weird: squeaker, piece of material, cling-free sheet (my dogs love these for some reason, but don't eat them, I don't think)? Things can get lodged and cause disruption in intestinal passage and loss of appetite. You should definitely try to get it figured out though with surgery if that is what the doc is suggesting. The % weight loss is really large on such a tiny dog.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:57 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Everyone here is giving good advice.

If it was me, I would get a second or even a third opinion from other vets before I would agree to exploratory surgery.

And the NUTRICAL.........I would definitly get some.

Google NUTRICAL for a description, but you can probably buy it at your local pet store or from your vet.....then you can start giving it to her immediately instead of waiting for it to be shipped.

My vet has advised me to give it to some of my dogs and cats over the years, usually when they were old and sick.

They say your pet will like the taste, but mine never did, so I just put the right amount of gel on my finger, and then wiped it on their tongues.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:53 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Everyone here is giving good advice.

If it was me, I would get a second or even a third opinion from other vets before I would agree to exploratory surgery.

And the NUTRICAL.........I would definitly get some.

Google NUTRICAL for a description, but you can probably buy it at your local pet store or from your vet.....then you can start giving it to her immediately instead of waiting for it to be shipped.

My vet has advised me to give it to some of my dogs and cats over the years, usually when they were old and sick.

They say your pet will like the taste, but mine never did, so I just put the right amount of gel on my finger, and then wiped it on their tongues.
Mine never did either.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:02 PM

7 posts, read 20,056 times
Thank you so much for all the information. She's 8 1/2 years old.
We had another Acid/Bile test done on Friday, as well as bloodwork to see if the enzymes are still so high.
We will DEFINITELY get a second opinion now, I just need to find a reputable place nearby.

We're almost debating a coffee enema for her...since her liver is in distress, maybe that'll detoxify it. I know coffee is bad for dogs, but I've heard it won't harm them if it's done right.

Yes, the smell is Fritos!!! She used to smell so yummy ))) It worries us that she has NO smell anymore. How odd.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:27 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
I've heard that the Frito smell in dog paws was due to corn meal in their dog food. None of my dogs have that corn chip smell because there is no corn meal in their food.

What kind of dry dog food are you feeding your dog? Maybe dry dog food hurts your dog's teeth. Try adding some warm broth to it.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:45 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
ive known dogs on completly corn free diets with a "frito smell" and dogs on cheap high corn diets with no corn smell lol.

the fact shes lost odor all toghetether is odd, by any chance does her breath have a faint sweet smell to it? (like not sweet as in pretty smelling, but sweet as in something sugary...) if so thats a very typical indicator of kidney issues...
i would have her kindeys checked just in case (its comon for spleen liver and kindey to go hand in hand), also have her heart checked...
toy breeds are highly prone to heart issues which i know can cause lack of apitite, weight loss and generla personality change...

ive never heard of loosing ALL odor...but mabe thats because shes not eating enough.

keep us updated on whatever you findout and ill continue to do some digging for you to see if i can find anything.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:55 PM

7 posts, read 20,056 times
I haven't been able to collect any urine from her...is there any trick to that? She doesn't piddle that much, and by the time I get there it's already soaked into the grass.

We got the results back from the test on Friday. Her liver enzyme values are now even higher
Today she hasn't eaten anything on her own.
I made a juice drink for her. Juiced spinach, kale and carrotts. Then I blended a little chicken and almonds - then mixed it all together. Plus, I added Kelp, Thistle Milk, a few drops of Flax Seed Oil and a tiny bit of molasses and lemon. I always give her water in between too.

I have an appointment with another Vet this afternoon for a second opinion. Tomorrow she has an acupuncture appointment...we'll see. I'll look into Nutrical too.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:29 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
When I've had to get urine samples from my dogs I've gone out with them first thing in the morning when I know they really have to go (1st morning urine is usually what the vet wants anyway), stand right behind them with the smallest plastic food storage container, and just catch it midstream. I always expect them to be too busy wondering what I'm doing to go, but it works fine.
Oh, and a coffee enema for a dog worries me. Sounds dangerous to me.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:30 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
agree with S2C, no cofee enemas please, especially wihtout knowing whats going on with the poor girl.

if you cant get a urine sample the get can express the bladder quite easily if they NEED a sample.
definatly worrying that her liver enzymes are up, and that definatly makes me think theres something either viral or bacterial going on there, get those kidneys checked for sure and a white blood cell count. id probably have an echo done for heart check too...heart failure and kidney failure are both common in chihuahuas and similar sized toy breeds.

you said this started about 3 months ago...
do you remember anything even remotly that could have triggerd an issue, playdate with a strange/new dog, dog park, trip to the petstore ect, anything that wouldnt be her 'normal" where should could have picked something up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs