U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:13 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,423,941 times

Advertisements

thats so cute! And I really want her to swim so when we move into our new house with a pool in the back yard she and enjoy it with the family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 11:47 AM

5,677 posts, read 6,505,544 times
Hot days should be an inducement enough for a dog to swim if you are near water on such a day and want to try it out.

We aren't near water but our ditches can fill up pretty good and that's where all our dogs took their first swims on their own. And we have taken them along to the beach and let them swim in the dog part of the beach.

Once on a trip to the west coast, we were waiting for a ferry in 100 plus temperatures, and got out of the car and my beagle headed straight for the water and plumped her little arse down in it with such a look of relief that everyone else standing around waiting laughed out of jealousy.

Everyone wanted to do that.

I only ever had one dog that didn't like to swim. I never forced her but she never entered the water willingly except on that same trip to the coast when the other two dogs and hubby and I were swimming and she got scared. Hubby called her over to him and she started swimming in that direction, but then she apparently decided the stress of water wasn't worth 'saving' him and swam back to the shore and made a beeline for the car (I was right behind her).

Old 03-21-2011, 12:40 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,423,941 times
lol hahaha that last one really got me thats too cute...but yea its not quite hot enough for that in ohio yet...maybe in a few months she'll get hot enough to try..I heard pits get hot very easily too

Old 03-21-2011, 02:18 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,600,659 times
How to teach a dog to swim? How about, how to keep a dog out of the water? Good grief...our dogs never had a problem with swimming...it was always a mess taking them any place with water, their little feet were covered with mud, wet dog smell permeated the car...I guess some dogs are more water dogs than others....take lots of junky towels...to dry them off, and I kept them in the back, of the SUV with the dog gate up, you can get a cargo liner too for the back of your car.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:20 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,106,232 times
I had a black lab mixed with who knows what - he was only about 50 pounds and rather stocky. When the golden retriever would head right out into the water Solly would go only up to his belly and look longingly as Clancy got that tennis ball time and again. Then one day at Pt. Isabel on San Francisco Bay the tide was slack and we were at a section where the slope is very gradual. He headed into the water as usual but must have accidentally gone that one extra "step" and suddenly he was floating. Then swimming.

Look Ma - I'm swimming.

He was thrilled and soon became my strongest swimmer at the age of five.

So be patient and accept what ever your pooch can handle and it may come to pass that one day swimming will be a favorite thing.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:13 PM

3,155 posts, read 5,669,686 times
I used their fetch sticks. Worked very well, in fact the small spaniel mix, made it a point to then clean all the sticks and stuff floating near the beach at our camp, out of the water. It took him about 20 minutes.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:42 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,562,453 times
You could also try a kiddie pool (or even just a rubber tub with water in it). Just make sure she's supervised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or