U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 03:24 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,424,310 times

Advertisements

We had a dog when I was little who always barked whenever he was outside...it annoyed everyone so we limited his time outside but hey he had to go out sometime right? So this lady down the street always reported us and nothing ever happened. We just kept getting letter saying to control it. We had that dog 9 yrs until he passed and it never stopped so I wouldnt say theres too much you could do, unless your city actually does something unlike mine.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 07:05 PM

795 posts, read 3,912,978 times
12buttons -- funny this question should be on the board today. i am in somewhat of a similar situation. my neighbor in an apt complex just got a puppy who is going through separation anxiety and barks all day long when my neighbors are gone, for as long as 45 minutes at the time. talk about a pia.

i have spoken with them directly, twice, one because i approached them, almost three weeks ago, and once because they approached me, tonight.

long story short: nothing has been solved, and, if anything, we are both even more irritated. they're not going to/can't fix the problem and don't think i should complain about it because she's a puppy and puppies bark, darn it.

and i think they're incredibly self-entitled to think that i want to listen to their dog for any reason, including that she's a puppy. hello! i don't listen to my dog -- why do i want to listen to yours???

so, what i am saying to you is this: you might try speaking one-on-one with your neighbor, but if you do be prepared for them to know you are the one complaining and to have further, possibly escalating conversations. in the end, your neighbor's going to find out it's you anyway, but at least if you follow the complaint process, you have back up from other neighbors and official complaints being made. imo, neither way do you really win, but that's probably the best way to go.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:53 AM

12 posts, read 25,030 times
By all means...talk to them - Once! Then study your local ordinances, which should provide citizens with the right to the quiet enjoyment of their property. Then call Animal Control. Then get ready for a battle. If I knew 8 months ago what I know now, I would have lawyered-up from day 1 and gone the civil suit route. From my experience, speaking to someone with a problem dog or dogs is pointless. Go where you are not wanted, to tell someone what they don't want to hear?

It's not the responsibility of a private citizen to try to regulate the behavior of his (likely dysfunctional) neighbor. I read somewhere that the National Animal Control Assoc. is advising AC officers to wear bullet-proof vests in the event of potential violent confrontations with psycopathic dog owners.

I will NEVER understand the reluctance of the criminal justice system to hold dog owners responsible for the harm caused by their lack of responsibility. And yes, that barkingdogs.net site is an awesome resource.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:50 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,173,178 times
Maybe barkingdogs.net gives good advice about the legal end of dealing with inconsiderate neighbors with barking dogs. I don't know, I didn't get that far. I clicked on the page for how to get your own dog to stop barking, which said the solution is very simple, give your dog a soft corrective whack on the nose every single time he barks and he'll stop. End of topic. This is very bad advice from someone who must not understand much about dog training. Constantly whacking a dog on the nose, whether you do it hard enough to hurt or not, won't teach him anything, will most likely make him fearful, head-shy and possibly a fear biter. There must be other, better resources on this topic.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:21 AM

39,236 posts, read 18,774,996 times
Some how the OP idea of walking over and telling the neighbor to make her dogs shut up.....doesnt sound to me as if it would get good results. "Shut Up" starts off hostile....and it isn't likely to get better from there.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:50 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,980,891 times
Done tactfully it may work. But sadly it sounds like the owner doesn't care. So they won't do a thing. If it's reported and she's inconvenienced in the least she'll just take the dog(s) to PAWS and drop them off. Currently PAWS has about an 80% euth rate. The new Director is *supposed* to be better than the last, but from what I've seen so far the euth rate isn't dropping and rescues have NOT been welcomed with open arms.

Not saying you shouldn't do something. Just pointing out that if you do, solving your inconvenience could mean the dogs die. Pretty sad. Just one more reason I live an hour an a half away in a very rural area. I don't allow my dogs to go out and bark either though. It makes ME nuts to hear them bark.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:06 PM

4,248 posts, read 10,527,232 times
You can hear the dogs barking across the street inside your house? Try talking to the head person of the HOA. I'm sure they could help.

Maybe their gate will accidently open one night.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:26 AM

5,677 posts, read 6,508,037 times
I honestly wouldn't want to confront a neighbour about a barking dog. It's sad but seems to be true that dog owners aren't very receptive generally or are oblivious to how annoying a constantly barking dog can be.

We live far enough away that the noise of the constantly barking dogs in town don't bother us too much. We hear them but it isn't loud enough by the time the wind carries the noise to our place.

What I would try to do is to send an anonymous note to the barking dogs' home. Keep it civil, maybe toss in that you are a dog lover yourself (even if you aren't) but that the constant barking of the dogs when they are outside is getting to be too much, and could they please do something about it.

Chances are they won't do anything about it. Sigh. My anonymous letter-writing to owners of wandering, chicken-killing dogs telling of them of their dogs' activities in order to warn them that a lot of rural people take the 3 S's (shoot, shovel, shut-up) seriously, never helped at all. I never figured they would, but if it saved even one dog's life it was worth making the effort.

The reason I favour anonymous, CIVIL notes is because even when talked to civilly, if the neighbour's first reaction is defensive and hostile, it prevents YOU from reacting the same way and ratcheting the whole thing up to a new level. With a note, even if the neighbour's first reaction is defensiveness, he or she at least has a chance to have a SECOND thought and realise that he's being given a courteous warning.

And if the neighbour doesn't take any action, then you either live with it, or go to the HOA.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:44 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,645,293 times
We have run ito a problem with barking dogs in our new neighborhood. Unfortunately, part of the barking dog problem just happens to be our dogs! Our next door neighbor has 4 Yorkies. That plus our 3 and you have a "barkfest" if they are all out at the same time. I spoke with our neighbor, Debbie, yesterday to see if between us we can come up with a solution. At night, we generally let ours into the backyard for the last time at around 11:00 PM. Unfortunately, thats the same time Debbie was letting her dogs out too. The solution, we now let ours out at 10:30 for the last time and Debbie lets hers out at 11:00. Now the problem is solved.

The point I'm trying to make..... a lot of times the owners of barking dogs aren't bad people or unresponsible dog owners. They just don't know what to do to get the dogs to stop. I say definately speak with your neighbor. Do it in a polite way and if possible have a possible solution that you can suggest to rectify the problem. Do not go over angry or aggressive. Go over with concern and friendship & you may find the problem will be solved in one night.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:49 PM

36,491 posts, read 41,670,258 times
My neighbors on either side and my boyfriend and I were all out doing yard work most of this weekend (first nice weather of the year). This morning, our beagle was running up and down the fence line, and our neighbor to the south's two basset hounds were running up and down the fence line opposite him, barking their heads off at one another (the bassets tired out first, hah!). Nobody gave a hoot. I am thankful that I am surrounded by neighbors who have dogs, are dog lovers, and who understand that dogs will bark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs