U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 07:28 PM

36,491 posts, read 41,679,184 times

Advertisements

Honestly, it's not fearmongering to recommend exercising caution when introducing a new baby into a situation with an animal.

My dog's sweet, too, and not huge. But if I had an infant, I wouldn't leave him/her alone with him. He's a dog. He's unpredictable. He's lunged and snapped at my SO when startled. A baby can startle a dog. A baby is more fragile than my 31-year old boyfriend. Animals are unpredictable, bottom line. You can say, "He's not THAT kind of dog," all you like, but the truth is, all dogs can be "THAT" kind of dog, under the right combination of circumstances. Nobody's saying your dog is dangerous. They're saying it might not be wise to leave your baby alone with your dog, particularly on the heels of mentioning high strung behavior that your dog evidences since you became parents.

One person's fearmongering is another's common sense.

Since you say you came here for advice on how to desensitize your dog to your kid, all I can personally offer is that it's probably not the best idea to force interaction...go gradually and organically. I wouldn't force a bunch of interaction. Not taking it slowly can result in aggression...whether your dog is by nature aggressive in the best of circumstances or not. Why force that issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 08:04 AM

18,856 posts, read 31,613,526 times
Let your dog decide how much time he wants to be around the baby, and how close. He will probably take baby toys, Sam would shred all stuffed animals to pieces. It was frustrating, he once "killed" 20 beany babies...just keep things off the floor, or in a pack and play, the best item ever invented. I used the pack and play interchangeably, sometiomes it was for the baby and baby toys, sometimes it was for the dog and his toys. Whoever neede to be contained the most at any given time. I felt better leaving the baby in the pack and play when I took a shower, than just leaving her on a blanket, you just never know...

Old 03-26-2011, 06:09 PM

247 posts, read 439,331 times
He'll get used to the baby over time. It's all new to him. My brother has a similar problem, he has a Jack Russell Terrier [ Brady, 7 years ] & A Pitbull [ Zeus, 3 months. ] Brady could care less about the baby while Zeus seems totally intruiged by him. He loves to lay down by him and sleep, lick him, try to play with him, ect. It's adorable. We think its because he knows he's a baby too [ my nephew is also 3 months, same as Zeus. ] He'll come around eventually.

If ya'll do have another child theres something you can do to help prevent something like this happening. Before you bring the baby home, bring home something with the scent of the baby on it. Let the dog sleep with it, play with it, ect. When baby comes home & the dog smells him, its a familar scent so the dog isn't so frightened. It doesn't necessarily mean the dog will LOVE the child but it'll ease the transition and will create less problems.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:22 PM

36,491 posts, read 41,679,184 times
My brother had a very dominant, territorial shiba inu that he and his wife had for 4-5 years before they had my nephew. He did eventually become accustomed to my nephew, to the extent that he tolerated him.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:45 AM

2,763 posts, read 4,671,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkayx333 View Post
If ya'll do have another child theres something you can do to help prevent something like this happening. Before you bring the baby home, bring home something with the scent of the baby on it. Let the dog sleep with it, play with it, ect. When baby comes home & the dog smells him, its a familar scent so the dog isn't so frightened. It doesn't necessarily mean the dog will LOVE the child but it'll ease the transition and will create less problems.
Actually we did do this. My baby was a preemie, so was in NICU for 2 days. During those two days, my husband brought home an outfit he wore, let Buddy smell it and then left it in our bed where I lay. Buddy lays in the bed when we aren't in it, so we figured that would be the best bet to get him used to the idea.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:30 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,481,745 times
I think you've been given good advice....don't force it, let it happen naturally. And, if it never does, don't let them be alone together. Like I said initially, my 5 YO son has never even held any of my 5 animals. I think it's a good thing. There's a respectful distance between them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs