U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-24-2011, 04:19 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,342,487 times

Advertisements

My dog is 9 and has never had her teeth professionally cleaned (b/c she really hasn't needed it until now). Vet recommended a cleaning recently and said that since her teeth are not that bad, she'd be a good candidate for anesthesia free cleaning.

Anyone had this done on their dog? Is it effective?

Somehow I just can't imagine that it would be thorough enough, since the dog will be awake the whole time. Kona is a 45 lb. shepherd mix who lets me clean her teeth with no problem but I can't imagine how it would go with a stranger doing a more intense job.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 05:52 PM

5,046 posts, read 8,333,424 times
I'm taking my Porkchop to get his teeth cleaned next month. I would never put him under for something like teeth cleaning (esp. given his breed), and my friends that used this person were very happy with the results. The difference after just one session was very noticeable, so we are hoping for the same!

I think it depends on how good your dog is with strangers. Mine's totally fine and a big ham, so I think he'll be fine. We also brush his teeth and are always touching and handling him, so it will be nothing new to him!

ETA: I see you're in LA...they seem to be really good in SoCal, since most of the pet owners here are into natural everything so there is a demand. The one we're going to is at a local doggie wash, and the woman comes once a month for these cleanings.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:32 PM

6,287 posts, read 5,358,284 times
It may be OK since your vet said her teeth are pretty good, but it's my understanding that without anesthesia they can't clean under the gumline where periodontal disease can be a problem.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:04 PM

4,551 posts, read 6,183,835 times
I brush teeth every day and give good chewies and so far at 15ish Gator hasn't needed teeth cleaning so I doubt he ever will.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:07 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,342,487 times
MAK802: I'm just laughing at what you said:..."taking my Porkchop to get his teeth cleaned" coupled with "Mine's totally fine and a big ham"

Old 03-25-2011, 06:14 AM

7,941 posts, read 8,090,729 times
I have two chihuahuas who have never had their teeth cleaned and they probably wont ever since I dont like the idea of anthesia .

Old 03-25-2011, 07:52 AM

88 posts, read 112,015 times
I do the teeth cleaning myself. My dogs were trained as pups to let me handle the mouth to scrub their teeth. I also use pet chews which help keep teeth clean.

Once in a while I use tartar scrapers if I get lax with the brushing & they need a little extra. Dog should be trained to hold very still if the scrapers are used as gum area could be injured.

Dogs are ages l3 & 7 years & never had to have it done professionally at least not yet. Vet always tells me their teeth are in good shape.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:39 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,540,830 times
I've never had my dogs teeth cleaned at the vets. I don't feel it's necessary unless there is some issue that would require it to be done.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:40 AM

12,400 posts, read 12,431,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
My dog is 9 and has never had her teeth professionally cleaned (b/c she really hasn't needed it until now). Vet recommended a cleaning recently
Atina, I'm not suggesting that your vet is lying and/or looking to get some $$ out of you, but before we moved into this house, we went to vet A, who said that on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the worst, that Artie's teeth were a 4, and they needed to be cleaned.

At that point, we were gearing up to move to a different town, and hence have a different vet, and I figured that I'd just take him to have it done at the new vet, vet B.

So, the first time I took him to vet B, I asked about his teeth. "His teeth? They're fine." I asked about cleaning. "Why? They're fine. He eats kibble, he eats crunchy stuff, they don't need to be professionally cleaned." I told her what the other vet had said. "HA! 4? Hardly. His teeth are fine!"

And, by the way, I've never cleaned his teeth at home either. So he's had NO tooth care, and he's 7 and a half years old now.

I wonder if you might want to get a second opinion?

Old 03-25-2011, 10:52 AM

5,046 posts, read 8,333,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
MAK802: I'm just laughing at what you said:..."taking my Porkchop to get his teeth cleaned" coupled with "Mine's totally fine and a big ham"
That's my baby, a ham that loves all people!

And the vet gets nothing for anesthesia free cleaning, it is done at a dog wash or pet store (here anyway, a vet wouldn't do it w/o anesthesia). There are several people that do it and once a month, go to a particular pet store. They are not vets, just people trained and licensed in this. So in this case, I'd trust your vet, esp. since he will not be the one providing the service. We made an appt two months ago for next month, the waiting list is insane here.

Last edited by MAK802; 03-25-2011 at 11:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs