Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:01 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,678,851 times

Advertisements

Ok I know you guys are sick of me and all my threads..sorry sorry sorry

But I have another question and I havent gotten to the library to get any books and everything I google is conflicting so I trust you guys more!

So Queen my pit, was barking last night. I know I know shes a dog thats what shes supposed to do but she never has done that before. Shes never been a barker so far. Shes still in her stage where if we let her run around while we sleep the house will be in shreads in the morning, so we keep her in the basement at night. We have a cage but I feel bad making her stay in that small thing all night.

So last night around 11ish we put her down in the basement as always and she started baring and growling. I got scared and thought maybe an animal got in or something. So I made my bf go check it out he came upstairs and said there was nothing down there. So 10 minutes later she started doing it again.

I told you guys before but for those who dont know I live in an apartment that doesnt allow animals..I know I know Im a horrible horrible person Im sorry, but were buying a house in August so we just have to make until then. So I told my bf so just let her up because I dont want the neighbors to hear her. So of course this morning the house was torn apart and she tore up all the bath tissue .

My question is why does she all of a sudden bark? Could it be a health thing or just something dogs do or could she understand "hey if I bark they are gonna let me upstairs."

Please be nice with your advice Im just a new dog owner and Im trying to do the right thing,

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 08:08 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
I'm not sure why she was barking -- it could be a million reasons -- but I have a suggestion:

Bring her crate upstairs. Make it a GOOD place for her. Put a blanket in there. Fill a Kong with peanut butter for her to have in there. Give her treats and/or food in there sometimes. She should always feel like her crate is a GOOD place, some place that she WANTS to go.

That way, you can have the crate upstairs where you are, and she can sleep in that.

Artie has a crate that he used to be in while his previous owner went to work. When I adopted him, we deemed our home crate-free. It's in his room, but the door is always open. He's never locked in it. But, often enough, he goes in there -- sometimes at night to sleep (his futon isn't better???), sometimes during the day -- just to chill out. He thinks of it as his happy place. If you can get Queen to feel that way, you can have the crate upstairs and she can sleep in it.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:17 AM

Yea thats a good idea! I feel really dumb for not thinking of that lol but we have a little bed for her so ill stick that in there and a few toys and the peanut butter kong and she should be in puppy heaven thanks so much.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:19 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Young puppies don't usually bark protectively. It's something they grow into so thats probably why it just started. It could have been a noise that was there all along like the furnace kicking on that she just decided she doesn't know what it is so it's suspicious. And yes, now if she thinks barking will get her upstairs, she might keep it up just for that. If you have room upstairs (does it fold up for storage?) I'd bring it up there too, and giving her a kong to keep her occupied if she's awake would be good. And TRY to ignore her if she barks at night (hard, I know) so she doesn't think it's a good way to get attention. Dogs are like kids, they think even bad attention is better than none.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:19 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
Yea thats a good idea! I feel really dumb for not thinking of that lol but we have a little bed for her so ill stick that in there and a few toys and the peanut butter kong and she should be in puppy heaven thanks so much.
Don't feel dumb -- you have your hands full of stuff and you can't think of everything.

Glad to help!

Old 03-25-2011, 09:13 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Supposedly dogs can sense paranormal energy (i.e., ghosts). It's possible it was that or she was frightened by a noise outside.
Another vote for bringing Queen upstairs, dogs love to sleep in the same room as their humans.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:22 AM

skeet09 lol OMG thats freaky because when we first moved in in the basement there was blood dripping from the pipes, had maintenance look into and they said they dont see anything that would cause the red stuff (rust or anything) and then doors would just shut on there own when there werent any windows open...AHHH lol now im sooo happy we are moving. And now I def want my puppy with me so she can save me from the ghosts! lol thanks for your response

Old 03-25-2011, 09:48 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Supposedly dogs can sense paranormal energy (i.e., ghosts). It's possible it was that or she was frightened by a noise outside.
Another vote for bringing Queen upstairs, dogs love to sleep in the same room as their humans.
That's what came to my mind immediately (I know...I'm a weirdo, LOL !)
OP, if you can find some dried sage (the white ceremonial kind, they sell it in spiritual bookstores and places like that) you can cleanse the energy in your space by burning it and "oust" the negative energy...make sure you get the smoke into the corners and stuff, (and open a few windows so you don't set off the smoke detectors, LOL!) Some people think the smell is overwhelming, but I actually love the way it smells...very herby and clean!

Old 03-25-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
That's what came to my mind immediately (I know...I'm a weirdo, LOL !)
OP, if you can find some dried sage (the white ceremonial kind, they sell it in spiritual bookstores and places like that) you can cleanse the energy in your space by burning it and "oust" the negative energy...make sure you get the smoke into the corners and stuff, (and open a few windows so you don't set off the smoke detectors, LOL!) Some people think the smell is overwhelming, but I actually love the way it smells...very herby and clean!
good idea! do i burn it in every room or just the basement?

Old 03-25-2011, 10:20 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
good idea! do i burn it in every room or just the basement?
I would burn it in every room, it can't hurt...!
That's a great idea about the crating at night in the bedroom too, I forgot to add that in my last post ...those kongs are a lifesaver, my BF has a very high-energy boxer named Aphex, and when she gets into one of her "crazy" moods, it's the only thing that occupies her attention enough to chill her out. (I kinds like her crazy moods though, LOL...!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs