U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-25-2011, 09:51 PM

99 posts, read 268,070 times
Every pet that is not used for breeding should be spayed or neutered. As was mentioned, they cannot get the cancers if they do not have the parts. Also, females not used for breeding can get a uterine infection called pyometra. It can be fatal if not removed immediately, and even then can still be fatal. Also read up on mammary cancer and mammary tumors.

It is important to spay them before their first heat cycle if possible. Each heat cycle they go through increases the chances for mammary and other cancers. If you own a large breed dog, the procedure gets more complicated as they grow larger. Spay as soon as they hit 4 months.

I work at a vet clinic and we see spay abortions all the time because people thought "she will never be around a male dog." Well, it only takes once. Somebody leaves the gate open, somebody digs in or out, she gets off her leash, anything.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 12:00 PM

61 posts, read 52,027 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSUtu...layer_embedded

Old 03-26-2011, 05:28 PM

5,100 posts, read 8,375,490 times
I love those cartoons!! There are so many of them and there are quotes that I'd love to have told some people that have called me!!

Old 03-26-2011, 05:40 PM

6,841 posts, read 3,411,614 times
I can think of three reasons why to have your female spayed:
  1. Shelters are full of dogs that were once unplanned puppies.
  2. There's that nasty mess dribbled around your house every six months.
  3. Incidence of female diseases associated with the reproductive organs.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:54 AM

137 posts, read 299,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
That said, please wait until she's at least six months before you spay her.

We adopted our male dog from the Humane Society when he was just under 3 months old...I've always wondered how it was possible for the Humane Society to S/N so early?

Old 03-27-2011, 09:16 AM

7,661 posts, read 8,696,500 times
Dave's shelter neutered him at 8 weeks..... and though i am a huge advocate of spay/neuter, that is too early imo..... he is about 2-1/2 now, and so far, no issues....

bailey was spayed at the same shelter when she was right at 4 months.... and i can't help but think that this may have contributed some to the problems she is having with her knees now at age 6.....

Old 03-27-2011, 04:21 PM

5,332 posts, read 11,648,130 times
If you are not going to show her or breed her, fix the dog. I would not attempt to breed a dog unless you were an experienced learned breeder willing to do genetic testing necessary, and wanted to improve the quality of the breed overall. The world does not need any more mutts.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:24 PM

2,806 posts, read 4,007,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
Dave's shelter neutered him at 8 weeks..... and though i am a huge advocate of spay/neuter, that is too early imo..... he is about 2-1/2 now, and so far, no issues....

bailey was spayed at the same shelter when she was right at 4 months.... and i can't help but think that this may have contributed some to the problems she is having with her knees now at age 6.....
Unfortunately, due to the overpopulation issue shelters S/N as young as 8 weeks old, which is definitely too early, and orthopedic issues are very common in early S/N.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:48 AM

1,058 posts, read 716,824 times
Thank you guys so much for all your advice....I'm def going to get her neutered because like someone pointed out she may be at dog parks later (although ive decided to stop that and just do little doggie play dates until she is 100% done with her shots.) Plus I dont want any weird male dogs hanging around and I dont want her to get mean around "that time"

Thanks again for the advice all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs