Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:28 PM

16 posts, read 52,802 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm a long time lurker on this forum, I've never actually posted but I do check in regularly. I thought this might be a good spot to get some encouraging words.

In early Feb. my husband brought home a stray dog. He was heartworm positive so we had him treated for the heartworms, neutered and vaccinated. We had always planned to find a home for him because we already have two dogs (a german shepherd and a sheltie) and we really don't have the space for another.

After trying to find a home for him through people I know and not having any luck I signed him up for a program at a local shelter where we keep him during the week and take him to the shelter on the weekend so that he could be adopted. Today was the first day I took him up there and I had two calls from potential adoptees. I have a feeling that he was probably adopted, although I won't know for sure until tomorrow (I have to call to find out if I need to pick him up or not).

While I'm glad he (may have) found a home, I'm so sad! I feel ridiculous really, we knew we weren't keeping him so I'm surprised I feel so attached to him!

I know some of you guys regularly do rescue work so I figured I could find some empathy here.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 07:45 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
I don't do rescue work (I have my hands full with Artie), but I can totally understand how you feel. You got attached. No matter what you told yourself, if you have a heart (which you obviously do), you got attached.

They don't even have to live in your house for you to get attached. We just put our house up for sale and we're moving to another state. There are about 40 dogs that live in my neighborhood, about a dozen that I see every single day and love. When the For Sale sign went up, the first thing I thought of was how much I'm going to miss my human friends who live nearby. The second -- and stronger -- thought was how much I'm going to miss my furrry buddies, especially Simon and Sadie.

If they actually lived in my house during the week, well, my heart would break, just like yours is.

Big hugs to you. You did a great thing -- you very probably saved this dog's life. And you're providing him with a wonderful home and lots of love during the week. And -- the most selfless thing that you're doing -- is letting him find his forever home.

Aw, crap, I'm crying now because I can just imagine how you feel. Big, big, big hugs. You're doing such a wonderful thing for this dog -- remember that.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:02 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
No need to feel silly. In fact, I would wonder if you hadn't gotten attached or were able to let him go without any feelings of loss; just remember that, no matter how difficult it is, your love and your ability to feel is your strength: if you weren't the kind of person who would be upset by this dog leaving--even to a good, forever home--then you wouldn't have been the kind of person to have taken this dog in and saved his life.

Everytime you get upset, just think about how happy this furbutt is in his new home and how you made that possible. You may not have been able to keep him but you were able to save him.

I would also speak to the shelter about contacting the people who adopted him, if possible, if only to be assured that he went to a loving home and to be able to say goodbye.

Also, many people have noted that getting another pet after losing a pet can really help to ease the pain. So, you might look into finding another foster to help (and then finding another foster after that, and so on). Just think about what a huge difference you are making in the lives of these animals.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:07 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
I have fostered several dogs and still miss most of them. But it is such a gratifying thing to do and you know you did right by that boy. Thanks for helping him to a life as someone's best friend!

Old 03-19-2011, 08:20 PM

16 posts, read 52,802 times
Awwww, thank you all for the kind words. I just didn't expect to feel so SAD.
Both of the potential adoptees I spoke to on the phone today sounded really good. The shelter does an excellent job of screening, with a thorough application and they actually call and check references, vet records, etc.

I think my biggest concern before deciding to do the weekend program through this particular shelter was him not going to a good home. I do feel confident that whoever adopts him will be good owners.

Unfortunately the area where my husband works is full of loose dogs. He sees dead dogs on the side of the road weekly. He actually witnessed a dog hit by a car about a year ago and the person didn't even stop. My husband picked the dog up and took it to a vet but sadly, it died on the way there. So depressing how little people value animals in general and what a never ending problem it is.

Thanks again for the kind words. I am reminding myself that this is actually a good outcome! Much better than being hit by a car or dying of heartworms (obviously).

Old 03-19-2011, 08:45 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2people2dogs View Post
Awwww, thank you all for the kind words. I just didn't expect to feel so SAD.
Both of the potential adoptees I spoke to on the phone today sounded really good. The shelter does an excellent job of screening, with a thorough application and they actually call and check references, vet records, etc.

I think my biggest concern before deciding to do the weekend program through this particular shelter was him not going to a good home. I do feel confident that whoever adopts him will be good owners.

Unfortunately the area where my husband works is full of loose dogs. He sees dead dogs on the side of the road weekly. He actually witnessed a dog hit by a car about a year ago and the person didn't even stop. My husband picked the dog up and took it to a vet but sadly, it died on the way there. So depressing how little people value animals in general and what a never ending problem it is.

Thanks again for the kind words. I am reminding myself that this is actually a good outcome! Much better than being hit by a car or dying of heartworms (obviously).
Welcome to the forum! Yes every foster dog I've ever had is still with me in my heart. Letting them go is always difficult but thats the way it should be. If it wasn't, you wouldn't be a good foster in the first place! All of the dogs come in needing at least love and understanding. You can't give that without giving a little piece of yourself too. Its never easy but it is satisfying to know that there is a dog out there in a good home and you helped it to get there. I also know it can be overwhelming when you look at the total volume of dogs in need. The best way to help yourself and not go crazy is to remember that its the foster system that helps rescued dogs to be more adoptable. Housetraining, manners and a history that can be shared helps them to find their forever homes so much faster. Then the next dog can come into the system to be helped all the sooner. Thank you for the part you played in helping a dog to find its forever home. You and your husband have good hearts!

Old 03-19-2011, 09:13 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Kudos to you!! Fosters are LIFE SAVERS for dogs, and that's exactly what you did for this dog!

I've been in rescue 16 years. I've had literally hundreds of dogs in my home, and over 50 of them were here one weekend waiting for two mommas with their two big litters to go on a transport to their new rescues. That said, to this day there is always a dog that I'll bond with a little tighter than others and I"ll shed some tears when they find their homes. Just placed one not long ago and drove home crying even though he's got a phenomenal home where he will get SO MUCH MORE love and attention than my husband and I have time to devote since we've already got 8 dogs of our own right now.

I encourage you to continue helping the shelter with that program. While it may hurt to see them go, it's common for adopters to keep in touch with the foster families in some cases. And even if they don't, you've helped them on their journey to their wonderful new life and now can give that opportunity to another dog that's desperately in need.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:59 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Oh my gosh... this happens to me every time, even the ones that I really need to get adopted sooner rather than later.

You became emotionally invested in this dog, and probably didn't realize it until there were 2 possible adopters. That hit home. Think of what you did for this dog. You took him off the street, cared for him, met his medical needs. You basically saved his life, and did a wonderful thing by getting him into the adoption program without him having to languish there. Of course you feel sad! But at the same time, kudos to you! Pat yourself on the back for that!

You never really get used to letting them go.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:09 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
Welcome to the forum, and God Bless you for doing such a wonderful thing for this precious dog!
I've fostered too, and I cry every single time I have to say goodbye...I know in my heart it's best for them to go, but it's still sad, and they are always in my heart.

It takes a strong soul and a BIG heart to do this sort of work...and clearly you have both in abundance! Thank you, thank you, thank you for being part of the solution! (((HUGS)))!

Old 03-20-2011, 06:02 AM

737 posts, read 2,587,902 times
Thanks for doing a great thing. It is hard, but it can be so rewarding knowing you did the right thing. Best to you and yours.Having done transport, trapping and getting some dumped on our property and re-homing - well, we get our hearts broken often. But there is always the knowledge that we've done the right thing for the 1. the pet and 2. the new forever home. Just take good care, have a good cry and love your pets. At least you know your limits. So kudos to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs