U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 09:48 PM

2,276 posts, read 3,065,273 times

Advertisements

Instead of going outside to "play," go outside to potty and then play.

We were discussing this earlier this evening when shampooing rugs and will likely need to adopt the pee before play protocol. She will potty outside in the snow (we still have plenty of snow here) but it seems like she might forget to go potty, or alternatively, she may like or prefer the clean concrete/tile/other hard surfaces as kudzu suggested.

All great feedback. Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 05:34 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,173,178 times
Was this the first week you were in the new house? I was even more surprised than you when we moved last summer. We had adopted a dog year before last. She was housebroken when she came to us. Sometimes housebroken dogs make mistakes on first coming home from the shelter, but she didn't. Then, when we moved about 7 months later, she had a few accidents in the first week or 2. Because she'd done so well on first coming to us I was caught off guard. But then I guess she realized that this was her new home and the problem resolved itself. No accidents since then at all. Hope it turns out to be the same for you!

Old 03-26-2011, 06:02 PM

7,458 posts, read 6,447,750 times
It might be insecurity. I think I would start taking her out every so often and not give her a chance to fail.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:46 PM

4,128 posts, read 13,266,252 times
Another thought, it might be a urinary tract infection, would want to get her checked out before assuming it's behavioral. Would also take her outside on a leash even if the yd is fenced-in, that way you know what she's doing (or not doing), she's out there to go, not to play, she can play later. Also, woudlnt leave her food down all day (not sure if you're doing this as I may have missed it), she's less likely to 'go' if she's on somewhat of a schedule (alth. you mentioned she doesnt poop inside). Just a couple of thoughts

Old 03-26-2011, 09:06 PM

99 posts, read 472,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Another thought, it might be a urinary tract infection, would want to get her checked out before assuming it's behavioral.
It never hurts to rule out medical problems, but if its happening in one house and not the other its not consistent.

With UTIs they usually dribble a smaller amount frequently, rather than having one a huge accident, especially right after playing.

I may have misunderstood though. Did you move from one house to the other, or are you going back and forth? I was under the impression that the dogs were spending time at both houses.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:53 AM

2,276 posts, read 3,065,273 times
I was under the impression that the dogs were spending time at both houses.

Yes. The dogs are spending time at both houses. Our home where we are actually living and sleeping now has the dog door and the concrete run. After she (Annie) figured out the dog door, within the first week of her adoption, we have had no "accidents" at this house.

The "accident" house is a small vintage bungalow that was a "fixer" that we are finishing for our downsizing/retirement/snow-birding house. This house does not have a dog door and because of the design and layout, has no good place for one. So we let the dogs out roughly every hour when we are working on the house to a large fenced backyard to potty (and play) because they have no auto-access to the outdoors. Annie has had multiple accidents at this house, very often within minutes of coming into the house from the yard and those "accidents" are always big pools of full bladder pee.

Yesterday we instituted the no play till pee and of course Annie didn't pee while in the yard on the leash so we took her into the house and I gave the dogs Kongs with wedged treats to keep them occupied and I watched Annie like a hawk. After about 10 minutes Annie dropped her Kong and started to sniff around and seemed antsy. I followed her around and she slowly made her way to the the back hall heading toward the basement and the back door. I opened the door and told her to potty and she rushed out to do her business, which was a big bladder full of pee. I praised her for the outdoors potty and let her back in. Had I not been following her, we would have had another accident right then, within 10 to 15 minutes after coming in the house.

Of course watching the dog like a hawk takes me out of service and we can't keep this up indefinitely. Annie obviously doesn't make use of the first opportunity to pee and has no clear cut "tell" or signal such as standing by or barking at the door to be let out. Even with our hourly relief program in place, rather than hold it until there is an opportunity, Annie releases when she's ready indoors even if she was outdoors just 10 minutes ago.

We talked about kenneling or confining her to limit the area of damage but that will teach her nothing and I suspect that similar to what Tabula Rosa said earlier about her dog, that confinement might be the genesis of Annie's problem. Having been confined or kenneled too long (past her bladder capacity) at some point in her earlier life, she learned that she should pee if she needs to even in her nest if necessary, which by extension is the house. If she can access the outdoors by herself at the moment duty calls, she will go outside to potty which is what she does at our home with the dog door, if not we have her peeing in the house without super vigilant oversight. Sigh.

So we struggle to get Annie to understand that she needs to potty when instructed to and when given the opportunity to do so when she is outdoors and lastly to tell us when she needs to go out if she has to to pee when indoors. We travel a lot and she needs to firmly know that it is not acceptable to go potty indoors anywhere. This thing is clearly behavioral in nature given the differences between the two houses. We've never had potty training problems with any of our previous (or present) dogs and we've never had to undo bad wiring before so this is new territory for us.

As this little bungalow will be home to us within the year, we are hoping to fix this problem before we move in full time or I'll never get anything done in that house.

Thanks for all the responses thus far.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:11 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,173,178 times
While you're teaching her, I would give her a treat and lots of enthusiastic praise when she pees outside. Take her out and tell her to go pee, go potty, or whatever, and afterwards a very excited "Good pee!" or "Good potty! What a good girl!!!!!!!!" Even applause. (To heck with what the neighbors think if they aren't dog lovers.)
Must be a frustrating time for you with all the work you're doing and this too. Hope things get better soon!

Old 03-27-2011, 05:43 PM

99 posts, read 472,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
Yesterday we instituted the no play till pee and of course Annie didn't pee while in the yard on the leash so we took her into the house and I gave the dogs Kongs with wedged treats to keep them occupied and I watched Annie like a hawk.

After about 10 minutes Annie dropped her Kong and started to sniff around and seemed antsy. I followed her around and she slowly made her way to the the back hall heading toward the basement and the back door. I opened the door and told her to potty and she rushed out to do her business, which was a big bladder full of pee. I praised her for the outdoors potty and let her back in. Had I not been following her, we would have had another accident right then, within 10 to 15 minutes after coming in the house.

The first part is what you should not do. The second part is what you should do.

They will pee eventually if you walk them around long enough. If you let her inside and give her toys before she pees, you are continuing to instill that peeing outside when you say is not necessary and that she can pee inside when she pleases. You have to be consistent. The time it takes to train now will pay off later.

It doesn't take as long as you think either. Once she figures out what you want, the trips will get shorter and shorter. NO PLAY UNTIL POTTY

My dogs know the command "go potty". They go immediately because they know they get to play afterward. If you let them play first there is no incentive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or