Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:00 PM

5 posts, read 12,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
Anyone have any experience with this breed? I understand they are a lot like Cavalier King Charles Spaniels only smaller.

Would appreciate any information.

Thanks in advance
I used to have a king charles spaniel now an english toy spaniels. From my experiences, they are very much alike but the english toy spaniel I have is a lot more affectionate. May be because it is a female dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 06:22 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,547 times
Here is Baxter:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...29-baxter.html

Old 04-10-2011, 01:56 PM

455 posts, read 1,238,883 times
I only know the breed as a King Charles Spaniel. Lovely dogs.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,090 times
Default english toy spainels

Does anyone have any problems with itching. What have you used and what works. We have tried alot of things and nothing is working. Please help.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:02 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
my dog has always been quite itchy. the vet said just allergies and not much you can do about it. I try to use non scented shampoo and you might try a different food.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:10 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
if a dog is itchy the first thing i check for is signs of fleas...a dog sensitive to flea bites can get increidbly itchy from just 1 bite so a dog doesnt nessicalry have to HAVE fleas to be itchy form a flea bite...

if no signs of fleas i check the food...
does the food have CORN? SOY? Chicken? these are the 3 big allergens in food (and itchy skin allergies are very commonly food related.
cut out the corn soy and byproducts first, if still itchy switch proteins but still avoid corn soy and byproducts there funky filers, lamb and rice is a great food for "itchy dogs"

if the food issu doesnt resolve the itching then youve got environmental allegies...this could be anything from dust to pollen to the detergent you use or the cleaner you use n your floors...
the best way to find out EXACTLY what the dog is allergic to is an allergy pannel...
id ONLY do an allergy pannel if switching dog foods hasnt worked, because they tend ot be expensive.

environmental allergies are combatted with a comination of environental control (different detergent, ionic of heppa filters in the home ect) and antihystamines much liek they give to people with allergies.

in the mean time bathe in an oatmeal shampoo and after the bath spritz with a peppermint spritz (a few drops of pure peppermint oil in about 1 cup of water into a spritz bottle (i also like to rub some leaves lightly between my hands and put them in the bottle too.) otameal and peppermint are both incredibly soothing.

for a REALY itchy dog you can give an actual oatmeal bath or make oatmeal "masks" by mising steel cut oats and water to make a paste for the mask or buy adding a cup of oats into hot (but not too hot for the dog) water and making the dog sit/lay in it (or just pouring over) i will often add a few drops of peppermint oil to both of these too as agin peppermint is very cooling.
ALWAYS rinse with COOL water, it shouldnd be cold but it should be cooler than the water that has been used fro the majority of the bath, this helps close the pours and sebacious glands which are easily agviated by dry winter heat, enviornmental infuences ect.

good luck.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:05 PM

Evo Grain Free Dog Food - Herring Salmon Formula - 1/3rd a cup - three times a day - also check thyroid levels - and a great oatmeal shampoo is Bio - Groom Natural Oatmeal Anti - Itch Shampoo.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:10 PM

1/3 a cup 3 times aday...might be a bit of an assumption dont you think?
if i were to feed my dogs that much food the little ones would explode and the puppy would still be hungry.
evo is a good food and grain free is always better, but some dogs are sensitive to fish some dont like it ect...

the point being you cant give such specific advice unless you know the dog, the size of the dog and whats been tried in the past.

is evo a good food, yes, is grain free the best way to go absolutly, and alot of people with dogs with fod allergies have good luck wiht fish based foods...
however when i tried a fish based food we ended up with alot of little dogs with gas and fish breath...it didnt work for us...
mine seem to do best on lamb, rabbit, or duck as a primary protein.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
the point being you cant give such specific advice unless you know the dog, the size of the dog and whats been tried in the past.

is evo a good food, yes, is grain free the best way to go absolutly, and alot of people with dogs with fod allergies have good luck wiht fish based foods...
however when i tried a fish based food we ended up with alot of little dogs with gas and fish breath...it didnt work for us...
mine seem to do best on lamb, rabbit, or duck as a primary protein.
I was only suggesting what worked for us - why is that worthy of a negative reply??

Old 12-24-2011, 04:49 PM

because it wasnt stated as a suggestion but instead like a perscription...and on a public forum where many none dog savvy people come for information information presented as FACT rather than "this is what worked for us" can be taken the wrong way...

we have to keep in mind this is a public forum and people cant hear tone in type...
a simple "we do" insert meal plan here would indicate that its a perosnal opinion and not an order/"perscription"

its like going up to someone and TELLING them their dog is such and such a breed when youve neve rmet the dog ect...you can GUESS you can state opinion, but it should be laid out as such rather than indicated as fact.

again unfotunatly TONE cannot be conveyed in type...

My post was not meant to be negative or nasty simply pointing out that what works for one might not work for another and yet you took it as nastyness...
proving the point that you realy have to baby steps through forum posting...a simple IMO at the end of a post is often enough to indicate its opinion...
or "we currently use...and it worked for us..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs