Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:11 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Thanks for the advice but she is having loose stools and gas after a month on the new food. After 30 something years of caring for dogs in my adult life, I'm very aware of the results of introducing anything new into a diet too quickly. You only have to learn that lesson once for it to become set in stone.
Yea, a month is too long for it to be kibble related. Something else is happening here. Have you tried a tablespoon or two of canned pumpkin (not the sweetened variety)? Or other squash? That tends to help with firming up the stools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 08:16 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,404,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasia View Post
Wellness is sold at both Petco and Petsmart, so it's reasonably easy to get to. And less expensive than some of the other premium brands.

Also - when you feed limited ingredient formulas to diagnose a food allergy - it's generally recommended that you feed a particular food for at least 90 days. It does take some time for the dog's system to adjust and "balance."
I guess you didn't read my intial post. Please go back & read it. Gator is 13 years old and has environmental allergies not food allergies. I'm doing this to humor my husband. BTW - its 60 days not 90 for determination of a food allergen

Old 04-04-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Yea, a month is too long for it to be kibble related. Something else is happening here. Have you tried a tablespoon or two of canned pumpkin (not the sweetened variety)? Or other squash? That tends to help with firming up the stools.
Its the food. She is just one of those dogs that gets gas at the drop of a hat. She was named because of her flatulance. From the song "They Call the Wind Mariah". Thats why I'm looking for a different brand of the same quality as Blue Buffalo that she doesn't react to. Its only for a month to prove a point then we are going back to their regular food.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:54 PM

553 posts, read 1,632,916 times
Pour the old food into a Blue Buffalo bag Just kidding, shouldn't be mean to the hubby.

Odie ate Natural Balance, TOTW and now eats Nature's Domain. Odie actually has food allergies though. I don't remember Blue Buffalo being an option when we realized he had food allergies. Odie is just a gassy boy, I don't think his food has anything to do with it. But Lanie has less gas on the Nature's Domain food.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
Pour the old food into a Blue Buffalo bag Just kidding, shouldn't be mean to the hubby.

Odie ate Natural Balance, TOTW and now eats Nature's Domain. Odie actually has food allergies though. I don't remember Blue Buffalo being an option when we realized he had food allergies. Odie is just a gassy boy, I don't think his food has anything to do with it. But Lanie has less gas on the Nature's Domain food.
ROFL - now why didn't I think of that?!?!?! Hmmmm-nah he'd figure it out if he looked at the size of the kibble. Thanks for the chuckle though! DH is gonna be wondering why I'm grinning. I just can't show him this in case it becomes my second line of defense!

Old 04-05-2011, 07:29 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
i feed kirkland from costco...
for the price its a GREAT qualify food, compared to the grain free its not great, but the first ingredient is meat, it has no corn wheat or byproducts and my dogs do very well on it.

in terms of gas, this can be a common problem for older dogs (and some younger) that have been on lower quality filler based foods their entire life, many GOOD foods are very rich, and can cause gas...

if your still having gas issues and loose stools 1: id suggest a plain organic no sugar added yoghurt with LIVE active cultures...about a tablespoon each morning...if shes loose and gassy theres a build up of bacteria in the bowel, (the bacteria is always there but some get "more active" when the diet is changed to a higher quality food) the good bacteria in yoghurt should help counteract that yicky gas causing bacteria.
and 2: Parsley, fresh or dried (tablespoon fresh chopped per day or teaspoon of dried per day) make a gravy with some warm water and the parekly flakes and pour it on the food, parsley is a NATURAl and completly safe gas reliver.

on a side note, some dogs NEVER do well on a "GOOD" food...
my parents cocker spaniel eats pedigree, not because we dont know better, not because we cant afford better and certainly not beacuse we dont want to feed him better, but because its the ONLY food that doesnt give him an incredibly upset tummy...weve tired him grain free, different proteins, even raw...and nothing in over 8 years has worked...so we just keep him on pedigree, weight and coat are good, hes happy and healthy....however my cresties on pedigree is like feeding them cardboard, their coat goes down hill, their energy levels just are all over the place, they dont look healthy or happy and they poop alot more..

sometimes its better to feed a horrible food that WORKS for your dogs than a wonderfull food that makes your dog sick...
every dog is different...

Old 04-05-2011, 06:02 PM

99 posts, read 531,471 times
Innova is the best commercial kibble available. Dogs are not supposed to have many grains or veggies.

Keep in mind that when doing a food trial for allergies that you need to eliminate ALL other sources of food. Treats, human food, bones, and anything that enters their mouth other than the trial food is a no-no. ONE thing can mess it up and make it look like it didn't work. One cheeto can make them itchy.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:21 PM

46 posts, read 133,635 times
which blue buffalo were you feeding, only the blue buffalo WILDERNESS is grain free.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgood85 View Post
which blue buffalo were you feeding, only the blue buffalo WILDERNESS is grain free.
Not grain free - corn & wheat free.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:55 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
I have heard people bad mouth the "Complete" dry dog food. we have two German Shepherd Dogs and One genuine rescue mutt puppy. Our shepherds have silky coats, clear eyes, loads of energy. The vet says, "whatever you are doing, keep it up, your dogs are very healthy" they get lots of exercise, fresh air, yes, they also get table scraps and bones from my deer hunting and I hear from neighbors and other people around town when I take a dog out for a ride. My Male is huge (Dreifus by name) great disposition, except when in the car and I am not in the car, he gets quite protective. I have had people turn their vehicle around, come after me and flag me down just to tell me their name, then write it down and request that "If you ever breed that dog again, I want one of the puppies" So have two county Sheriff departments, request pups. I have heard that "Complete" is not a good dog food, but you certainly couldn't tell it by lookin' at my dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs