U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 08:48 AM

4,248 posts, read 10,533,356 times

Advertisements

Hopefully it doesn't hurt anyone and it comes to light it's part Pitbull. Pretty shocked at peoples replies here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 09:13 AM

3,592 posts, read 10,653,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Hopefully it doesn't hurt anyone and it comes to light it's part Pitbull. Pretty shocked at peoples replies here.
Why would you be shocked at the replies? For ever Pit reported in the media there are around 1,000 other ones that are no more dangerous than any other dog. Please don't buy into the media hype.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:30 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,186,888 times
Quote:
There's no reason to think a dog is going to hurt anyone because it's a pit bull. We are responding as we are because we have personal experience with the breed.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:54 PM

8,191 posts, read 28,067,763 times
Quote:
Why are you shocked?

I gotta tell you, I have been bitten badly 3 times in my life. One was a cocker spaniel/poodle mix that left a scar on my shoulder. One was a generic mutt that left a scar on my leg. One was a cocker spaniel that ripped part of my nose off and I needed 11 stitches to put it back. Nobody has any trouble renting with a cocker spaniel. You will never see a story on the 11:00 news about a child being mauled by the family cocker. Pit Bulls have a bad rap. I have known dozens of pitties over the years and not a single one of them ever bit anyone.

It is hard enough to rent with a larger dog. It is almost impossible to rent if your dog is a Pit. There is nothing wrong with calling the dog the OP is talking about a Boxer mix.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:08 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,205,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Why are you shocked?

I gotta tell you, I have been bitten badly 3 times in my life. One was a cocker spaniel/poodle mix that left a scar on my shoulder. One was a generic mutt that left a scar on my leg. One was a cocker spaniel that ripped part of my nose off and I needed 11 stitches to put it back. Nobody has any trouble renting with a cocker spaniel. You will never see a story on the 11:00 news about a child being mauled by the family cocker. Pit Bulls have a bad rap. I have known dozens of pitties over the years and not a single one of them ever bit anyone.

It is hard enough to rent with a larger dog. It is almost impossible to rent if your dog is a Pit. There is nothing wrong with calling the dog the OP is talking about a Boxer mix.
I agree with you here Racelady.
Also if there is even a question of whether you (original poster) will have to move to an apt. and can/cannot take the dog please do not adopt it. Pit of not. Some places if it even looks pittie they do not care and will say NO! Bigger dogs need a place to run and exercise anyway. There are sooooooooo many smaller apt. size dogs sitting in shelters in desperate need of homes.
Poor pittes getting such a bad rap still. So sad.
Also when taking a pittie mix to vet never label the dog as pit/mix as stated in another comment. Whatever other breed it is similar looking to, use that.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:15 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,110,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
There is only one way to do it these days. Just remember, you DO NOT have a "Pit mix", you have a "Boxer mix". Erase the word "Pit" from your vocabulary. Have your dog listed at your vet as a Boxer mix too. That way his records will also never show the "P" word.
yeah, that was what I was thinking too. But one apartment told my brother that boxers were on the aggressive list. He was like wtf?? Boxers are some of the most docile big breeds out there.

They said it is because Boxers care a lot about the owner. Yeah that is true but they are not overly protective. They are lick you to death dogs.

Anywho this is the best advice for the OP, just stick to the Boxer Mix title instead of PitMix.

If they ask what is the mix tell them it must be something friendly because he is a sweetheart

Old 02-08-2017, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 399 times
how do I get my hands on shot records or something. maybe photo shop? maybe I can use my pits records and change type dog? moving soon I cant leave my dog behind. we will be junkyard dogs together if all els fails.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:54 AM

2,147 posts, read 1,604,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
There is only one way to do it these days. Just remember, you DO NOT have a "Pit mix", you have a "Boxer mix". Erase the word "Pit" from your vocabulary. Have your dog listed at your vet as a Boxer mix too. That way his records will also never show the "P" word.
I would even go further and say "unknown breed mix", some places started to go against boxers as well.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:38 PM

3,950 posts, read 2,570,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBear1 View Post
how do I get my hands on shot records or something. maybe photo shop? maybe I can use my pits records and change type dog? moving soon I cant leave my dog behind. we will be junkyard dogs together if all els fails.
That won't work. As soon as the landlord sees the dog, you will be kicked out of the apartment. You either have to find someplace that will take pit bulls (hard to do) or find a place for your dog. You're in a tough spot OP and I love that you want to keep your dog with you but lying to a landlord will only get you trouble. Can you call a local pit bull rescue and see if they have a list of landlords in your area that will accept pits. They may have some other suggestions too.

Good luck.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:34 AM

22,548 posts, read 28,491,298 times
So many tenants are liars. It's discouraging the way so many people are eager to cheat the system.

I don't care what you call your dog, I won't accept it if it looks like a pit or a pit mix. If I drive by after you move in and I see a pit, I will stop right there, right then and give you your notice to vacate. Then you can try to find another rental with both a banned breed and a really bad landlord reference.

If you want to rent and you own a pitbull, keep looking until you find a landlord who will accept the dog and give you written permission to keep it in the unit. Different insurance companies have differing "dangerous dogs" lists and not every landlord is insuring with the same insurance company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or