U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:45 PM

946 posts, read 2,512,702 times

Advertisements

My dog was medicated some liquid medicine to be given 3 times a day with a syringe...oh my god...it's a huge pain. I couldn't do it, he just wouldn't open his mouth. I feel so bad putting him through that too! He doesn't know it's for his own good (obviously) and I don't want him to hate me , but he needs it. Any tips on how to get him to take it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 08:49 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,642,038 times
If its a liquid, soak a piece of bread with the meds and give it to him. My dogs seem to take meds easier in solid form.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:53 PM

525 posts, read 950,176 times
I know exactly how you feel. I am the same way when I have to give medicine to my dog. No forcing or anything allowed. You are going to have to get his/her attention off of the syringe. Like hide it and start playing with him/her and then sneak it in real quick. Then make sure to have his/her favorite snack immediately on hand!!!!

If all of that fails maybe squirt the medicine in his/her favorite food. I wrap my dogs in some ham, give her the ham, and then immediately give her another bigger piece of ham to kind of trick her.

I feel for you believe me. I hope you find a way. Good luck!!!

Old 04-05-2011, 08:56 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,095,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
My dog was medicated some liquid medicine to be given 3 times a day with a syringe...oh my god...it's a huge pain. I couldn't do it, he just wouldn't open his mouth. I feel so bad putting him through that too! He doesn't know it's for his own good (obviously) and I don't want him to hate me , but he needs it. Any tips on how to get him to take it?
You are going to have to pry open his jaws. He will not hate you. He may dislike the process but you are the human and it is your responsibility to give him his medicine since he cannot do for himself.

Now, buck-up and don't let him make you feel guilty. You are the parent!
Yes, it is a pain but your dog's health depends on you. You can do it!

(my best pep talk)

Old 04-05-2011, 09:00 PM

21,344 posts, read 23,981,696 times
Just squeeze lightly on the back of his jaw (left & right side). His mouth will open slightly. Place the head of the sringe towards the back and squeeze and the licking will take over to swallow it. After give him a Velveeta slice so he will associate a reward with it.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:07 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,642,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You are going to have to pry open his jaws. He will not hate you. He may dislike the process but you are the human and it is your responsibility to give him his medicine since he cannot do for himself.

Now, buck-up and don't let him make you feel guilty. You are the parent!
Yes, it is a pain but your dog's health depends on you. You can do it!

(my best pep talk)
Although I agree with the precept of giving the meds, I don't agree with the statement "prying open his jaws" or the use of any sort of force. Why not find a way to make getting his meds a pleasant experience rather than a negative one?

Old 04-05-2011, 09:15 PM

99 posts, read 472,353 times
Or just pull his lips up at the back of his mouth and squirt it between his teeth. Hold his mouth shut until he swallows. Or mix it in with a tablespoon or two of canned food. Or call your vet and ask for a tablet or capsule so you can use a pill pocket.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:47 PM

946 posts, read 2,512,702 times
Thanks for the replies! With his other medication in tablet form, I do put it inside his favorite foods and treats so he can take it, it's just this liquid one that's impossible for him to take. I'll try the idea of soaking it in his treats, I'll see how that works. I'm seeing the vet next week for a follow-up so if I'm still having trouble with it, I'll ask him if there's a tablet form of the medication so he can take it more easily.

I know he won't hate me, but I swear, minutes after putting him through that (it was a lot of struggling and resistance), he wouldn't even look at me or come to me . I did reward him for being good and gave him extra treats. I tried several ways, I also tried to make it quick and not let him see the syringe and try to sneak it in there, but the minute I try to open his mouth he just resists and won't have anything to do with it. Anyway I'll keep trying! I hope it gets easier.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:05 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,703,190 times
the easiest way to administer liquid medication is to squirt it slowly into the cheek...
dogs like humans have a cheek pouch the back corner of the mouth between the lip and the teeth...
squirt a little in...
dogs dont have the ability to push anything out with their tounge from the cheek and theres a gap in the teeth at the back of the jaw so the liquid leaks in from the cheek trhough that gap and down the throat,
takes a little longer to do this way...but its much less traumatic for you AND the dog than trying to "pry open his jaws"
and its how i was taught to administer liquid meds when working as a vet assist

Old 04-05-2011, 11:14 PM

19,813 posts, read 55,762,637 times
If it's not too big a dose, squirt it in a pill pocket and pinch the top closed. He'll down it before he knows what's in it. I use pill pockets to give my dogs meds, they don't even notice the med!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or