U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-05-2011, 09:51 PM

749 posts, read 1,029,178 times
Default Best pit bull defense

I really don't have a problem with the breed but lately a few idiots down the street are letting their pits run wild. Shooting, machete, weapons are something I don't want to do, so what's the best option in the event of an attack.........some sort of spray? mace? Something cheap but effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-05-2011, 10:00 PM

5,931 posts, read 6,903,518 times
a large stick...something akin to a walking stick
and animal control. EVERY time you see those dogs loose call animal control or the cops.

unfortunatly pepper spray is too highly effected by other factors...if your in the midst of being attacked your not going to take the time to make sure its pointed perfectly where it needs to be, your also not going to make sure your not in such a position that a sudden breeze is going to blow the spray into your own face ect.
i cant tell you how many times ive heard, read and SEEN people get pepper spray in their own face when trying to use it to defend themselves.

quite honestly though, the dogs are usually to LOOK tough...
id be more worried about the humans than the dogs.

Unread 04-05-2011, 10:07 PM

3,523 posts, read 4,827,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
I really don't have a problem with the breed but lately a few idiots down the street are letting their pits run wild. Shooting, machete, weapons are something I don't want to do, so what's the best option in the event of an attack.........some sort of spray? mace? Something cheap but effective.
Have you tried speaking with them? If thats not an option, reporting them for letting their dogs run loose is the best defense. That could stop an attack before it happens.

Unread 04-05-2011, 11:28 PM

29,991 posts, read 17,456,822 times
Call animal control and report the loose dogs. Hernando County Animal Control

If you are going to use pepper spray for pits you should get the kind made for bear.
http://www.udap.com/product.htm

I'd be walking with a heavy wood walking stick.

Unread 04-05-2011, 11:52 PM

1,569 posts, read 847,545 times
someone in the corpus Christi hood just shot and killed a pit last week because it was in his yard again after he had warned the thug owners multiple times.

then that put a ban on all dogs at the beach until spring break is over because of all the gang bangers bringing there pits to the beach scaring off the college kids like the always do by letting them roam free like wild animals only to bite people and other dogs.

I don't dislike any animals but if you could instantly make the owners of these dogs disappear the % of people on welfare in south Texas would drop by at least half.

Unread 04-06-2011, 12:04 AM

1,207 posts, read 468,083 times
Quote:
Wish we could use that stuff on the idiot owners!

I've got the opposite problem. No one in my neighborhood obeys the leash laws, so I can't walk my dog, who doesn't play well with others. I'm afraid friendly dogs might come up to my leashed dog as we're walking and try to play, and possibly get bitten. I don't want any dog to get bitten by my dog because their owner is stupid. Consequently I've stopped walking my dog.

Good thing we've got a big yard. :-/

Unread 04-06-2011, 12:25 AM

7,089 posts, read 7,398,449 times
Best pit bull defense

I've always used the "German Shepherd" method.

Unread 04-06-2011, 06:30 AM

1,457 posts, read 1,513,220 times
I would go with calling animal control every time they are loose. That will prevent anything that could happen; a bite, them getting hit by a car, or them being abused by others.

Unread 04-06-2011, 07:24 PM

1,299 posts, read 758,420 times
Quote:
The best defense is showing no fear and not making eye contact with the animal. In most cases when you ignore loose dogs they tend to go about their business. But if your walking your own dog it's a different ball game. Pittbulls are not great with other dogs 90% of the time. Address the owners and if they don't comply then you have no choice but to call animal control.

Unread 04-06-2011, 11:41 PM

7,089 posts, read 7,398,449 times
You could always use one of those canned "air horn" things, most dogs are not fond of high decibel events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs