U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-07-2011, 07:44 PM

440 posts, read 1,065,207 times

Advertisements

Just got back from the Vets.. My dog has diabetes!.. Has to get shots!!Anyone have a pet with this awful disease???Don't know much about it and could use all the help I can get...Thank you.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 07:59 PM

12,328 posts, read 7,772,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gussie View Post
Just got back from the Vets.. My dog has diabetes!.. Has to get shots!!Anyone have a pet with this awful disease???Don't know much about it and could use all the help I can get...Thank you.......
Don't panic. You can do this.

One of my cats was diagnosed with diabetes 18 months ago and she is doing just fine. The shots are not hard at all to give. I hope your vet showed you how to do it. They really don't hurt the pet. Pinch up the skin (I use the shoulder area) and give the shot in the pocket formed on the end of the pinch. They don't feel it. You don't have to search for veins because the idea is to give the shot just below the surface of the skin and not into a vein. If the vet shows you another way to do it then follow what the vet told you to do.

You'll probably feel like you are all thumbs at first but that goes away quickly. My cat doesn't even run away from me when I approach her with the needle twice a day. It's become ho-hum for her and actually for me, too. Your dog will be fine and so will you.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:19 PM

11,054 posts, read 9,218,066 times
Two shots a day, specialty dog food, monthly visits to the vet for a blood test for at least the first six months until you get a balance between the food and insulin. If its a short haired breed get a letter from your vet to keep in the house just in case a nosy neighbor calls animal control for not feeding your dog.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:57 AM

8,192 posts, read 19,794,530 times
My best friend has 2 diabetic dogs. One developed it as a complication of pancreatitis.

She has struggled with both of hers to find the right insulin. One dog lost her eyesight, but a procedure at the vet clinic at Purdue gave her back some sight.

Finally both dogs were doing well. Then they quit making the insulin that worked. Once again her vet is struggling with both of her dogs. One dog was rushed to the clinic this week lethargic and vomiting and was diagnosed with ketoacidosis. The other dog has lost so much weight that it is scary. We are all hoping that they begin making the Vetsulin again, since it seems to be the only thing that worked for either of her dogs.

The shots are the easy part, but you have to be very aware that there can be complications. You have to be vigilant and aware of any changes.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:23 AM

13,565 posts, read 23,049,866 times
I agree the shots are the easy part. I too had a cat with diabetes and she never even flinch. One thing I did find out is I could by syringes much cheaper from drugstore also the insulin was much cheaper at the drugstore too.

Ask the vet what to do if your dog's blood sugar drops or he has seizures. My cat had big problems with that because she didn't eat enough. I used Karo syrup but there are other things to use. Better to have it on hand just in case.

Be sure you are not feeding your dog any food with 'wheat' glutten.

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 04-08-2011, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,638 times
go to k9diabetes.com it is a forum like this that you can talk to others with diabetic dogs . on the main page there is a spot to go to forums halfway down in the middle of page . i go to this site - my min pin has diabetes - very helpful site .

Last edited by nfjchester1; 04-08-2011 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 04-08-2011, 08:43 PM

440 posts, read 1,065,207 times
Thanks for the information.. The tricky part is trying to feed her the right things and the right amount.. She goes back to the Vet on Monday and she stays all day to be evaluated.. She weighs 30 lbs. and is on 10 ml of insulin 1 time a day...Just feel bad because she looks so hungry..hope I am doing this right!

Old 04-09-2011, 05:04 PM

2,658 posts, read 2,954,044 times
All will be ok. My pet was diabetic also.

Sent you a message

Old 04-09-2011, 05:06 PM

2,658 posts, read 2,954,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gussie View Post
Thanks for the information.. The tricky part is trying to feed her the right things and the right amount.. She goes back to the Vet on Monday and she stays all day to be evaluated.. She weighs 30 lbs. and is on 10 ml of insulin 1 time a day...Just feel bad because she looks so hungry..hope I am doing this right!
You'll get the hang of it, learn to test your pets blood glucose with a blood glucose meter, you can use a pet meter or a human meter, are you using NPH insulin or vetsulin?

Insulin is usually given 2 times a day that's why I am asking what type of insulin, that site and the people their will really help you and answer all of your questions and questions to ask the vet also.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:12 PM

8,192 posts, read 19,794,530 times
Vetsulin was discontinued a couple of months ago. Humulin seems to be the med of choice around here these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs