Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 11:48 PM

48 posts, read 164,596 times

Advertisements

Well it's that time of year again, when our little furbabies go under attack from tiny blood-sucking monsters. Last year, my vet quit carrying Frontline, stating "it just isn't working anymore." They weren't carrying ANY flea & tick preventatives, and wouldn't reccommend any either, citing that they didn't know what would work. This year, they're carrying Vectra 3D, and pushing it like it's a miracle drug. We bought 4 tubes, went home, read the directions (which for small dogs says to apply in one location, between the shoulder blades), and applied to 3 shih tzu & a jack russell. Around 2-3 hrs later I left for a night class, not seeing any reaction from any of the dogs. When I came home about 4hrs later, my 11lb shih tzu was acting completely neurotic! She was running around the house, hiding under things, wanting to be held, then immediately changing her mind. She even put herself to bed- this is a dog that won't leave the room without me! Throughout the night, she continued to act neurotic- under the covers, over the covers, "cuddle me"-"NO don't touch me!" I thought the application spot seemed to be slightly pinker than the rest of her (she's a white-haired dog), but wasn't sure. Today she's even worse! Still flitting around the house like she's trying to run away from something, whining, begging to be held, then squirming away as soon as I pick her up. Still no adverse reactions with the other 3 dogs. The most recent stuff I can find online is from 2009, but many people talked about some extreme reactions to this stuff (including a death). After reading this, I promptly found my now hiding baby, and washed what was left of the oily residue off her back. I followed that with a dose of Benadryl, and she's put herself back to bed. I might add that she already has a vet appt. on the 14th for her annual heartworm check, and I WILL be bringing this up.
Now that I've written a novel, I want your opinions on this "great new stuff." Also, what can you suggest to use this year? I will admit, Frontline seemed like it had quit working, but at least it didn't make my babies neurotic! I live in a high tick zone, and have neighbors who don't seem to care about pest control as I do, and they have dogs in a yard that is only separated from mine by a privacy fence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 12:06 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times
I use the frontline but when I know I'm going to have my dog in the high grass or woods I also spritz him with the Adam's flea/tick mist. For around the head/face I spray a paper towel with the Adam's and then wipe down my dog's ears, head, and throat.

Adams Flea and Tick Products

Seed ticks in the Spring in Missouri are the absolute worst!

Old 04-15-2011, 12:36 PM

48 posts, read 164,596 times
I like that idea- I didn't see ANY fleas last year, only ticks (yay Missouri, huh?) The only time mine are out of the house are when they go in my fenced-in backyard, or to the park. I had used Adams SEVERAL years ago and it seemed to work on that dog (was my ex stepdad's chiweenie). I really may try that suggestion!
I was at a local adoption event yesterday, chatting with several of our local shelters, HS, and fosters. NONE of them had even heard of this Vectra stuff! I found that odd...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs