U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 12:45 AM

28,192 posts, read 47,512,098 times

Advertisements

Hundreds of dogs being trucked to Chinese restaurants have been spared a culinary fate after about 200 animal lovers mobilised to stop them ending up on dinner tables.

A truck crammed with the dogs was forced to stop on a highway in eastern Beijing by a motorist who swerved his car in front of the truck and then used his blog to alert animal-rights activists, reports said.

Activists save dogs destined for Chinese dinner tables - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 05:35 AM

2,520 posts, read 5,342,574 times
Maybe there s/b a new forum, if there isn't one already. It makes me wonder if all of the dogs rescued survived. I clicked on the link, and the pic of the newborn puppy doesn't appear to be alive.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:34 AM

4,334 posts, read 12,197,571 times
I have seen a video of the dog transports in those open trucks, whether they r on there way to be skinned alive or to food processing, dogs piled on dogs, alive!!! It saddens and sickens me that POS humans like this walk the same earth as I do.
Something needs to be done to stop all of this.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:44 AM

4,585 posts, read 10,812,452 times
While I don't adovcate eating dog, nor do I advocate any abuse of animals going to slaughter, please remember that many countries in Asia eat dog and it's a cultural difference thing, they veiw dogs in a different light than we do. Also, in Europe, they eat horse, again a cultural difference, there are certain breeds of horse that are raised just like beef. I eat chicken, yet many have them as pets the same can be said for rabbits ( I don't eat rabbits but I do know many who do). The list is long of domesticated animals who are used for meat, cows, goats, chicken, rabbits, horse and dogs.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:18 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,051,598 times
Let us look at bright side. There is a rising animal right movement in China which didn't exist several years ago. When there is plenty of food available due to the recent economic development, many dog and cat lovers are doing what they can to protect them. In shanghai, there are many stray dogs (sad to see) but this is a strong indication that eating dogs/cats are no longer considered to be an acceptable practice in a big city like Shanghai. Hopefully, with continued western influence through economic collaboration and culture exchange, we, at this side of globe, will help to facilitate this process.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:52 AM

4,033 posts, read 8,562,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
While I don't adovcate eating dog, nor do I advocate any abuse of animals going to slaughter, please remember that many countries in Asia eat dog and it's a cultural difference thing, they veiw dogs in a different light than we do. Also, in Europe, they eat horse, again a cultural difference, there are certain breeds of horse that are raised just like beef. I eat chicken, yet many have them as pets the same can be said for rabbits ( I don't eat rabbits but I do know many who do). The list is long of domesticated animals who are used for meat, cows, goats, chicken, rabbits, horse and dogs.
Yes, but these animals are treated horribly. It isn't the eating of dogs that many activists protest, it is the way that they are treated. When dogs and cats are eaten in countries like China, they are usually treated horribly: skinned or boiled alive, electrocuted, and that's after they've been forced to live in cages with little food and water.

We all know that countries eat many animals considered as pets in the U.S.; this story isn't about a lack of cultural relativism on the part of activists. It is about activists stopping an act of cruelty towards these animals, whether they are dogs, cats, rabbits, or horses.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:57 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,371,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Yes, but these animals are treated horribly. It isn't the eating of dogs that many activists protest, it is the way that they are treated. When dogs and cats are eaten in countries like China, they are usually treated horribly: skinned or boiled alive, electrocuted, and that's after they've been forced to live in cages with little food and water.

We all know that countries eat many animals considered as pets in the U.S.; this story isn't about a lack of cultural relativism on the part of activists. It is about activists stopping an act of cruelty towards these animals, whether they are dogs, cats, rabbits, or horses.
Cows are treated terribly in the US. Have you seen Food, Inc.? They are slaughtered alive, no compassion whatsoever. Do a YouTube search and you can find videos of the slaughters...the sound the cows make as they meet the blades is not one you will soon forget!

And rabbits are usually skinned alive/electrocuted so as not to destroy precious stew meat.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post

Did you read my WHOLE first sentence

Old 04-18-2011, 02:07 PM

6,482 posts, read 6,181,555 times
Fettucine Al Fido, anyone? Mutt loaf?? Pooched salmon?

Seriously though, I realize that this is a cultural thing, but the very idea of eating man's best Friend is nauseating.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Cows are treated terribly in the US. Have you seen Food, Inc.? They are slaughtered alive, no compassion whatsoever. Do a YouTube search and you can find videos of the slaughters...the sound the cows make as they meet the blades is not one you will soon forget!

And rabbits are usually skinned alive/electrocuted so as not to destroy precious stew meat.
Yup, one of the big Temple Grandin designs was a circular chute to help humanly slaughter cows.

Another one on youtube is one of Palin's when she was Gov forgiving a turkey all the while behind her other turkeys are being slaughtered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or