U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-19-2011, 09:56 AM

263 posts, read 445,542 times

Advertisements

Lately I have noticed my GSD biting her nails quite often and licking her feet. I have never noticed it quite as much as now. I have looked over her feet to see if there are any issues but haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. We have recently gotten Bamboo floors throughout the house instead of carpet. Could that be triggering it? Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 10:02 AM

12,382 posts, read 12,410,575 times
Artie bites his nails all the time. I guessed that it was his way of making sure that we didn't have to go to the vet to get his nails clipped, which is his least fun thing in the world to have done (although I would have thought that he'd hate the anal sac expressing more).

Joke's on him: We're going to get his nails clipped tomorrow morning. His anal sacs are safe... for now.

Really, though, I doubt that Artie has the thought process to figure that if he trims them himself, he won't have to get it done. I do notice that sometimes he has little bits of nail torn off at the ends, presumably from all the walking and running that he does. It's probably annoying to him, so he bites them off.

I can't guess why different flooring, though, would trigger this change. Maybe the air is more dry now and your dog is getting the torn ends like Artie has?

Old 04-19-2011, 10:08 AM

Guess I'll have our vet check them on Thursday when she comes by to do the Titer test. Maybe there is something that I am not seeing. I usually cut her nails myself and while she isn't thrilled with the process I get it done.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:26 AM

12,382 posts, read 12,410,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smagid View Post
Guess I'll have our vet check them on Thursday when she comes by to do the Titer test. Maybe there is something that I am not seeing. I usually cut her nails myself and while she isn't thrilled with the process I get it done.
Y'know, even when the vet (well, the vet tech, actually) clips his nails, there are always uneven ends. Maybe our dogs just really like having neat manicures, even if they don't like the process.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:49 AM

6,850 posts, read 9,879,208 times
My coton de tuleur used to do this all the time. The vet said it was allergy and give him a benedryl. It worked. Also washing his feet alot helped.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:51 PM

3,528 posts, read 5,738,411 times
My Chessie Mariah is a nail biter. I haven't needed to have her nails trimmed in years. She doesn't chew them down to the quick, so I don't worry about it. Definately have your vet check for organic issues but it could just be she likes to chew her nails!

Old 04-19-2011, 10:37 PM

5,949 posts, read 4,982,622 times
My chi gives herself a manicure every night. Don't know why, she just does. I've only see her do that in the evening.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:37 AM

3,456 posts, read 4,844,602 times
Is this new behavior? If so, then I agree with the possibility of an allergy (although it surprises me that she would be allergic to bamboo, but I guess it's possible). You can soak her in Epsom salts to relieve some of the itching.

Also, if she needs her nails cut or if you happen to cut them too short, that may also be a reason.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:11 PM

99 posts, read 274,884 times
Is there red or lick staining? Smell her feet for yeast. Could also be mites. GSDs are also known for having nervous habits. Licking and chewing feet is one of them.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:41 AM

After seeing the vet for the titer test last week we learned that Xena must have gotten a cut on the underside of her foot in between her paws. She was trying to lick and bite her foot to get to the underside. The vet cleaned it (no sore or infection) out and we have been treating it with neosporin. And thankfully the biting/licking has pretty much stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs