Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:41 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,571,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Lola, if you don't mind me asking, what state is that?!
Yeah I hope it's not mine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 09:09 PM

128 posts, read 207,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Even though your dog was on a leash and his weren't, your dog bit a human. You should pay his medical expenses.

Your dog wasn't under control. Biting humans is a big no, no regardless of circumstances. You could lose your dog if it ends up in court.
Because the human wasn't controlling their own dog. Why do they not have to take responsibility for their part in this?

Old 04-25-2011, 11:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,839,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~A New Me~ View Post
Why do they not have to take responsibility for their part in this?
Because his dogs did not bite her.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:41 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,807,753 times
Bottom line is, if all dogs were properly leashed nobody would have been bitten.

I love it when irresponsible owners, or even a curious passerby, say "the dog bit a human, no matter the circumstances, let's blame the dog!"

Old 04-26-2011, 02:05 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,584,943 times
i dont see how you can be responsible if the person's own dog bit him. i wonder what breed was all the dogs. if an unleashed dog is attacking my dog, id be trying to kill the dog(s). my mom was put in a terrible position once where an unleashed rottweiler was attacking her leashed australian shepherd. id like to have some time with the owner for that.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:29 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,570,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Bottom line is, if all dogs were properly leashed nobody would have been bitten.

I love it when irresponsible owners, or even a curious passerby, say "the dog bit a human, no matter the circumstances, let's blame the dog!"
Agreed...some people think a dog should have no protective instinct and should refrain from biting the almighty human no matter what. It's ridiculous! When a dog is on a lead, its job is to PROTECT the human at the other end of that lead, period. Any creaure, human or not, that poses a threat in the dog's eyes will usually get bit, even by a mild-mannered and obedient dog...it's a case of a dog being a dog and doing its "job", nothing more. The dog is not to blame IMO.

The same holds true for ignorant people who leave their dog and small child alone together unsupervised, and the child gets attacked because it doesn't understand that hitting and pulling on the dog's tail will hurt and make it angry...it's the parents' or guardians' fault for leaving them alone together, but the child is the one who gets hurt and dog is the one who has to pay for their negligence with his life .

Old 04-26-2011, 02:34 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,584,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Agreed...some people think a dog should have no protective instinct and should refrain from biting the almighty human no matter what. It's ridiculous! When a dog is on a lead, its job is to PROTECT the human at the other end of that lead, period.
thats exactly what my dog did when the rottweiler approached. she was protecting my mother. thats what my current dog would do also. unfortunately, my current dog is always on duty even when someone isnt threatening. but i know she will protect my wife and daughter, so that gives me some comfort and may pay off much more than having the sweetest dog on the block.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:07 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,807,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Agreed...some people think a dog should have no protective instinct and should refrain from biting the almighty human no matter what. It's ridiculous! When a dog is on a lead, its job is to PROTECT the human at the other end of that lead, period. Any creaure, human or not, that poses a threat in the dog's eyes will usually get bit, even by a mild-mannered and obedient dog...it's a case of a dog being a dog and doing its "job", nothing more. The dog is not to blame IMO.

The same holds true for ignorant people who leave their dog and small child alone together unsupervised, and the child gets attacked because it doesn't understand that hitting and pulling on the dog's tail will hurt and make it angry...it's the parents' or guardians' fault for leaving them alone together, but the child is the one who gets hurt and dog is the one who has to pay for their negligence with his life .
Unfortunately I cannot send you reputation points again yet... but please consider it as if I had sent them to you.

Couldn't have possibly stated it better. When I was very young, I was playing with a perfectly sweet dog at a friend's house, and I pulled her tail - I did not have an understanding of that at such a young age - and she bit me on the nose. My parents never blamed the dog, but explained me I was the one who caused the dog to bite me, plain and simple. From that day, I learned my lesson and was so thankful they were wise enough to see things as they were, not as they would like them to be - it was not the dog who was crazy, but I was the obnoxious one bothering her (go ahead, blame the dog who cannot speak thus cannot explain what really happened).

I have had dogs all my life, and very few times, almost zero, they attack/bite for no reason. Unfortunately people take the easy fix and don't even bother to understand why they end up biting people.

As most dogs would gladly give their lives to defend their owners, oddly enough many owners don't think twice about tossing them away without blinking an eye...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs