U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 09:52 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,384,991 times

Advertisements

I take PC to Home Depot every single time we go. We've been doing so since he was a puppy and it was an awesome way to socialize him. People just love him and we get stopped a 1000 times before we leave the store! He walks along side of us, and if my husband stops to look at something, PC will just lay down and disregard all the noise/people around him unless we tell him it's ok to go up to them. That's called training, something many dog owners fail to do.

Our malls here encourage dogs to come (they are all outdoor malls, with grassy areas all over) and Nordstrom has always allowed well-behaved dogs. Ours has a sign saying that well-behaved dogs are always welcomed.

That said, people that have dogs that don't know how to behave in public and still bring them out suck. They ruin it for the rest of us. I have 2 dogs, my other doesn't see the outside of the yard, he's either in the house or yard because he is a nightmare in public. He was home schooled by his previous owners (aka stuck in a crate as a puppy for 9 hours a day, then expected to behave, so they dumped him after just 6 months of owning him and we are now paying the price).

He'd be the reasons restaurants and stores in my area would ban dogs and I don't want to be that owner so we never take him out anywhere. I wish more people would realize that and leave aggressive or unruly dogs at home or have them muzzled while in public places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 10:01 AM

353 posts, read 687,996 times
I also like to bring my dog to the HD. Both customers and workers seem to enjoy seeing her. And she loves the attention. Now that she is no longer a puppy I take her only if I am going to stay in the garden section.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:23 AM

18,853 posts, read 31,638,195 times
Sam was an excellent dog, well trained, and disciplined. But even he once lunged for a man with no warning at all. I was shocked, I did not even know he had it in him to growl or bite, because he had never done it, and I trusted him with babies and little kids. Who knows?

I took Sam frequently to the nursing home my Grandmother went to, he was the baby there.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:36 PM

99 posts, read 472,884 times
There is no reason to take your pet shopping with you. I would never take my dog into a pet store. There are too many unvaccinated dogs running around and too many males lifting their legs. People just think that their dogs are well behaved.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:01 PM

6,307 posts, read 7,433,887 times
And, dogs belong in Home Depot because???

Honestly, the mentality of those who think that their dogs belong in places like this is beyond me.

I don't really care if your dog is the best behaved canine ever. Why should people who go into a store which is not a PetCo, or something of the ilk, have to deal with your little pookie?

Leave him in the car or at home. If that's so difficult, then maybe you should re-evaluate your priorities.

Good for the Canucks for taking a stand on something that shouldn't even have to be an issue.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:00 PM

15,123 posts, read 13,377,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Sam was an excellent dog, well trained, and disciplined. But even he once lunged for a man with no warning at all. I was shocked, I did not even know he had it in him to growl or bite, because he had never done it, and I trusted him with babies and little kids. Who knows?

I took Sam frequently to the nursing home my Grandmother went to, he was the baby there.
In cases like this, I always wonder, what does the dog know/sense about that person?

When a normally well behaved dog reacts to a person like this......I can't help but be leary of that person, I tend to trust a dog's instincts.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:55 PM

99 posts, read 472,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
In cases like this, I always wonder, what does the dog know/sense about that person?

When a normally well behaved dog reacts to a person like this......I can't help but be leary of that person, I tend to trust a dog's instincts.
Lunging at a person is never acceptable regardless of the vibes a dog may get. If you were walking down the street and didn't like the way someone looked at you, would you shoot them?

Old 04-24-2011, 01:05 AM

15,123 posts, read 13,377,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowtown2snowdog View Post
Lunging at a person is never acceptable regardless of the vibes a dog may get. If you were walking down the street and didn't like the way someone looked at you, would you shoot them?
Did I say it was OK for a dog to jump at a person?

I just said, that if a dog that normally likes everyone, all of a sudden shows dislike for one, certain person......I assume they have a good reason.....and I take note of it.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:30 AM

5,679 posts, read 6,515,556 times
And now for the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey used to say.

I found the link lacking in the details that were reported here on the news so I Googled to be sure I had heard it right originally.

The Home Depot in question in fact had a NO DOGS sign up but apparently allowed leashed dogs anyway . And the greeter reached out to pet a strange dog, which is what caused her to be bitten.

My thoughts are that I didn't know any Home Depot allowed dogs and I don't see dogs in stores here and it puzzles me that any store would have a No Dogs sign up but apparently not mean it (???). Since I personally would take a No Dogs sign seriously (silly me?), that suggests that the only people with dogs in such a store would be pretty brazen to begin with.

But I also have a real peeve against the greeter who decided to reach out and pet a strange dog. Never, never, never would I pet a dog without asking the owner if it was okay and I'm assuming that if the greeter had done that, she would have mentioned it, since she wants the dog put down.
Dog bites off part of Home Depot greeter's nose - Ottawa - CBC News

Old 04-24-2011, 01:31 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,361,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Did I say it was OK for a dog to jump at a person?

I just said, that if a dog that normally likes everyone, all of a sudden shows dislike for one, certain person......I assume they feel that they have a good reason.....and I take note of it.
corrected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or