U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:07 PM

13 posts, read 49,762 times

Advertisements

I just went to pet her in a very non-threatening way (eyes averted, turned to the side) and she growled and bared her teeth. I think that she doesn't see me the same way as she used to because she's picked up on my being pregnant. If she doesn't like me pregnant, what are the odds of her liking the end result -- the baby? Honestly, the training over the years has been all about teaching us how to change our behaviour to suit the dog, and not about the dog actually getting better. If medication doesn't help I'm afraid there is no hope for her staying in our home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 07:40 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,581,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
That is sad. You knew the dog had problems but failed to follow through with the training and now the dog is going to have to pay the price.

I'd suggest contacting a breed rescue in your immediate area. If you have not been willing to follow through with the behavior problems in 7 years there is no reason to believe you will now. Perhaps a rescue organization will be able to place the dog in the home of a more responsible person without children.
Contrary to the naive dog lovers out there..... guess what? There are bad dogs, just like there are bad people. The dog is having to pay the price? Uh, yea it attacked it's pregnant owner.

Can I be honest? That dog would be gone, and I don't mean to a loving home.... Why would I put a dog into another home where he might attack again? I love my dogs, but I love my family more.

Geeze, this poor lady is pregnant, and getting attacked by a dog I'm sure she cares about, and your putting the blame on her, sometimes the dog apologists really get to me.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:47 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,100,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennysnooze View Post
The dog is half whippet, and like a whippet, actually wants to spend much of the day in bed.
You said in an earlier post that your dog was a mix and you didn't know which rescue breed would take her. A whippet rescue will take a whippet mix.

You need to either put the dog to sleep or turn it over to a whippet rescue with full disclosure of its aggression. There are no other solutions.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:52 PM

27,377 posts, read 15,087,470 times
Gosh, a breed rescue really sounds like the answer here if they will take her. Some rescues are really good about working with dogs that have issues, even behavior issues.

I would, also, consider putting her on meds after talking with my Vet.

And, yes, I would be concerned about my newborn baby. Not sure how far along you are or how much time you have to prepare.

My steps would go like this: Vet visit; meds if recommended; and start placing calls to the Whippet rescue.

My fingers are crossed for you.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:17 PM

Do you think a whippet rescue would take her considering she looks a lot more like a German shepherd? Unfortunately, the last I checked there are no whippet rescues in British Columbia. I will have to look into it again to see if anything has changed since we began looking for our dog. At the time even Greyhound rescues only operated out of Washington state with occasional foster homes this side of the border.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:31 PM

4,111 posts, read 12,848,217 times
There's no telling, it's worth a try though. Oftentimes however even if the dog is half purebred but doesnt look like the particular breed, the rescue wont take it, esp. these days w/ so many ppl losing jobs, homes and their pets ending up homeless - there's just not enough foster homes available esp. for larger dogs - plus w/ a bite history, it likely would be tough - but you could get lucky - they'd prob. have someone evaluate him and get their opinion and would take it from there.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:36 PM

6,947 posts, read 18,718,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Gosh, a breed rescue really sounds like the answer here if they will take her. Some rescues are really good about working with dogs that have issues, even behavior issues.

I would, also, consider putting her on meds after talking with my Vet.

And, yes, I would be concerned about my newborn baby. Not sure how far along you are or how much time you have to prepare.

My steps would go like this: Vet visit; meds if recommended; and start placing calls to the Whippet rescue.

My fingers are crossed for you.
Neither of the 2 rescue groups I volunteer with will take a dog that is known to be aggressive. Sorry, but there are just way too many dogs waiting for foster homes that don't have behavior issues. I really don't want you to have false hopes about this issue. You love your dog, I know. But if you cannot predict her behavior, why do you believe another owner will do better? Good idea to discuss with your vet, but prepare yourself to make a very hard decision.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Do you think a whippet rescue would take her considering she looks a lot more like a German shepherd?
If it looks more like a german shepherd, contact a german shepherd rescue. You can't keep the dog. It's either a rescue or putting to sleep.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the last I checked there are no whippet rescues in British Columbia.
Whippet Rescues (BC & Canada):

club1

NWCC Whippet Rescue (http://www.whippetcanada.com/rescue.html - broken link)

German Shepherd Rescues (BC):

German Shepherd Rescue of BC

Check out the German Shepherd adoptees on the rescue website. There are mixed breeds on there.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Neither of the 2 rescue groups I volunteer with will take a dog that is known to be aggressive. Sorry, but there are just way too many dogs waiting for foster homes that don't have behavior issues. I really don't want you to have false hopes about this issue. You love your dog, I know. But if you cannot predict her behavior, why do you believe another owner will do better? Good idea to discuss with your vet, but prepare yourself to make a very hard decision.
I completely agree with you. I can't imagine why another owner would want to take this on. I have years of happy memories with her and I'm having a hard enough time with it so I think it would be a huge stretch that someone else would want to. I know the SPCA here will not take dogs who have bitten/been aggressive.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I completely agree with you. I can't imagine why another owner would want to take this on. I have years of happy memories with her and I'm having a hard enough time with it so I think it would be a huge stretch that someone else would want to. I know the SPCA here will not take dogs who have bitten/been aggressive.
Then you have no choice but to have him/her put to sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or