U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:30 AM

263 posts, read 794,555 times

Advertisements

We use Diatomaceous Earth as well around the house. Such a great product for fleas, ants and any other crawling insect. You can sprinkly it on the bedding and all around the yard as the other posters mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 12:25 PM

417 posts, read 917,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smagid View Post
We use Diatomaceous Earth as well around the house. Such a great product for fleas, ants and any other crawling insect. You can sprinkly it on the bedding and all around the yard as the other posters mentioned.
We're still in our condo complex so that wouldn't be an option but I'll keep it in mind for hopefully next year when we buy a house. Thanks!

Old 04-27-2011, 12:38 PM

2,806 posts, read 6,498,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan5 View Post
We're still in our condo complex so that wouldn't be an option but I'll keep it in mind for hopefully next year when we buy a house. Thanks!
It can be used indoors as well (just be careful not to breathe in the dust)...and make sure it's food-grade (not pool-grade). Work it into floorboards and crevices, and if you have carpeting, let it set for a few hours before vacuuming up the excess .

Old 04-27-2011, 12:47 PM

417 posts, read 917,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
It can be used indoors as well (just be careful not to breathe in the dust)...and make sure it's food-grade (not pool-grade). Work it into floorboards and crevices, and if you have carpeting, let it set for a few hours before vacuuming up the excess .
Ohh ok..good to know! Might have to try that as well!

Old 04-28-2011, 10:37 AM

48 posts, read 143,169 times
I'm having the same problem here in Missouri- Frontline worked, but no more, and have been on the search for a new pest deterrant, particularly ticks. My vet is pushing Vectra, but after one application, I will NOT use it again (see my thread Vectra 3D ). Attempt #2 is the Preventic collar- $20 for one and they said it lasts about 6 months. I really haven't been able to see whether or not it works yet because everything here has been flooded since. My vet also said that Revolution was great, as it's a heartworm preventative AND flea deterrant... then they said it is NOT a tick preventative *sigh*. I think I'll try out the collar for a month or so, and if that doesn't work, I'll use Advantix and maybe spray with some Adams if I plan on going to the park... unless someone has a better idea!

Old 04-28-2011, 02:37 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,698,937 times
unfortunatly different areas require different treatments because popular brands are quickly becomming inneffective as the parisites are becomming immune to certain products.

for our area we find we have to alternate between k9 advantix and frontline plus about every 2 years for it to stay effective for all the parisites.
if frontline pus is the favortiet in the area try switching to k9 advantix, or revolution ect...

i also suggest adding brewers yeast to the diet rather than garlic, garlic is good BUT in larger amounts can be toxic to dogs...brewers yeast however has the same effect but without the risk.
dusting your yard with food grade Diatemacious earth (and even rubbing it in the coat) helps but needs to be reapplied regularly.

i personally do a number of things and it SEEMS to help.
1: i add powdered brewers yeast to 1 meal a day
2: alternating k9 advantix and frontline + every 24 months or so...
3: DE, during spring and fall we get bad flee and deer tick infestations, so we dust the garden (it also kills the ants and grubs) and then put a barrier around the perimeter, we will also rub it in the dogs and cats coats once a week
4: when i know im going to an area higher infested with ticks/fleas/biting flies ect i spritz with a home made "bug spray"

i boil a kettle full of water, in a large glass bowl i mix Catnip, Lemon grass (or leon thyme/verbena/citronella) penny royal, gerenium flowers. pour the hot water over and cover with a towel and let it steep just like with tea, i steep for 48 hours to be good and strong.
(you can also use essential oils, anything lemon scented is good and catnip oil has actually been proven to be almost as good as deet for repelling biting insects!).
then when were going hiking ect i just spritz the dogs and myself with it...its safe, its all natural and it seems to work

i dont like chemicals myself, BUT id rather use them than have the risks associated with tick born illnesses.

good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or