U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 09:14 AM

417 posts, read 1,031,820 times

Advertisements

So Sydney was sick about 2 weeks ago..had the squirts..even had a couple accidents in the house which is unheard of. We took him to the vet, she tested his poop and checked him out and there were no parasites. She put him on a prescription diet and gave him 2 antibiotics..by the 3rd day on this, his poop started to firm up (yay!). We slowly started mixing his old food back into the prescription food and the diarrhea came back. His food was Authority Adult..we had switched him from the puppy to adult food about a week before any of this happened and he had done fine at first so we thought the diarrhea was not related..well when it started coming back as we switched back..we stopped mixing it into the prescription thinking maybe it was the cause. So for the next couple days he just had the prescription food but his poop wasn't firming back up so we went and bought the Authority Puppy food which he has been on for months and been completely healthy (no poop problems)..and we are slowly mixing that in but when I came home from work last night, he had the squirts on the living room carpet and had to go out at 5 pm, 6 pm, 7 pm, 9 pm, 4 am, 6 am, etc etc..normally he's a 2-3 poops a day kind of guy. I was going to go to the grocery store today to pick up canned pumpkin and try mixing that in. He's acting completely normal otherwise...full of energy, eating and drinking so he's not dehydrated or acting sick but this is getting frustrating for me and I'm sure for him as well as he is mortified whenever he has an accident.

So any tips/advice? If I get the pumpkin, how much should I mix in? Should I try anything else? If this continues through the weekend, we'll have to do another vet visit but since the last one cost $200 for some crappy prescription food and antibiotics that didn't work, I'd like to try to fix this myself although if it continues through the weekend, I don't want to put off a vet visit any longer..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 09:30 AM

17,330 posts, read 31,069,347 times
CRAP! (No pun intended.)

Pumpkin never worked for Artie -- in mushy and orange, out mushy and orange.

What DOES work (not for Artie because he's grain-intolerant, but for every normal dog) is: white rice. Prepare as directed, but leave it a little mushy so that there's more moisture. That way he'll get the hydration that he's squirting out, too. (Diarrhea is very dehydrating.)

I'd definitely go with white rice to firm up his poop.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:32 AM

Also, get some plain low-fat yogurt for him. I bet a few good doses of probiotics would do his tummy good.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:47 AM

White rice and plain yogurt...added to the grocery list!
I'm willing to try anything at this point..I just want my poor boy to feel better...granted he's acting completely normal but whenever he has an accident he gets so embarrassed

Old 04-28-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan5 View Post
White rice and plain yogurt...added to the grocery list!
I'm willing to try anything at this point..I just want my poor boy to feel better...granted he's acting completely normal but whenever he has an accident he gets so embarrassed
Poor little man.

I've never heard of white rice NOT working.

Please keep me posted. I want to hear that Syd's all better.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:24 AM

4,948 posts, read 17,975,140 times
what I did was no food for one day water only then boil hamburg and mix with rice for 4 days.
I also have used the yougut plain as one meal in the am. I have done pumpkin with the rice also
baby food with rice since it is bland. One vet even said it was OK to do immodiun mixed with the
yogut or that pink medicine. The vet told me the first days keep the food bland to help.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:40 AM

571 posts, read 1,247,437 times
I'm not saying to skip the vet, but . . .

There are some dogs whose stomachs are sensitive to the tiniest changes. My dog is one of them. She cannot have any treats or any food other than her one kind. No exceptions, or it's squirt central at our house. We once boarded her for a couple of days, where she ate "their" food, and her poor bottom was a disaster. One treat from a neighbor . . . bad. Someone who thinks it's cute to slip her a piece of hamburger . . . no way.

When this happens, we give her plain rice and plain boiled chicken breast for a day or two and it clears right up.

It may be that your doggie is just one of those dogs who can't tolerate change. Also, I've seen it go on for a few days before it gets better. Again, I'm not saying to skip the vet, but this may not be that unusual for YOUR dog.

Good luck!!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2011, 01:58 PM

4,038 posts, read 9,739,090 times
Rice and yogurt, absolutely, excellent suggestions!

I would forego the canned pumpkin and get some yams instead; I give them to my GSD now on a regular basis and it has really helped her digestive system, not to mention that she LOVES them.

Yams are loaded with nutrients and fiber. They take a while to cook--about 45 min to an hour in the oven @ 350--so I do 5 at a time, then refrigerate. But I think that they are much better than canned pumpkin. If you can, buy organic, unless you are going to peel and serve without the skin.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:23 PM

6,591 posts, read 23,971,369 times
personally id go with BOILED chicken and plain white rice (cooked with extra water) along with a dollop of Plain UNSWEETEND yogurt preferably organic but absolutly 100% LIVE active cultures.
antibiotics can cause more issues than they cure including an upset digestive tract.

i dont like the perscription foods, if you look at the ingredients there no better than most of the junk you can find on the shelves and youll pay tripple for it...and generally its just a bland version of chicken and rice with some additional bits and bobs mushed in...

personally i never do plain rice alone as dogs need protein, but boiled chicken or ground beef (make sure to drain it extreemly well) with the rice is usually fine.
do this for a few days.

i took a look at authority brand as id never heard of it before and its not a great food but not a bad food either, you could be dealing with a chicken sensitivity so it might be worth trying the lamb version instead, and if not, it might be worth trying a grain free food. corn, oats and beet pulp can cause upset tummies in some dogs but typically show more as itchyness than upset tummy.
checking the ingredients and the analaysis theres ery little if any differnece between the puppy and the adult so i cant see that as causing the issue...

has he been checked for worms reacently? if not id get a full fecal before trying to change anything else, make sure they check for tape, round, whip and hook and also do a giardia check. my first thought given the similarity in food and no issues prior to this is possibly a parisite, or it could very well have been bacterial and the antibiotic while has helped get rid of the bug has no left an unbalanced GI tract...

Old 04-28-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
has he been checked for worms reacently? if not id get a full fecal before trying to change anything else, make sure they check for tape, round, whip and hook and also do a giardia check. my first thought given the similarity in food and no issues prior to this is possibly a parisite, or it could very well have been bacterial and the antibiotic while has helped get rid of the bug has no left an unbalanced GI tract...
Yes he had his yearly checkup about a month ago and then was at the vet about 2 weeks ago when the stomach issue first started and they did a full fecal exam so no worms or parasites. I'll try the rice, chicken, yogurt combo and see how he does. I didn't think it was necessarily food related since he'd been on the puppy food for over 6 months with not a single issue and the adult looked to be the same formula. We'll try the bland diet through the weekend to see if that improves anything. Fingers crossed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs