U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 10:18 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,622,869 times

Advertisements

Male dogs are from Mars, female dogs are from … Pluto?

True, dogs aren't exactly a fertile market for self-help manuals. But a new study finds that the brains of male and female canines are not the same — and in at least one task, the females have an edge.

Female dogs smarter than males? Maybe - Health - Pet health - msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 11:38 AM

5,181 posts, read 3,799,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Male dogs are from Mars, female dogs are from … Pluto?

True, dogs aren't exactly a fertile market for self-help manuals. But a new study finds that the brains of male and female canines are not the same — and in at least one task, the females have an edge.

Female dogs smarter than males? Maybe - Health - Pet health - msnbc.com
Then why was Lassie always a boy dog? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Old 04-28-2011, 11:43 AM

15,337 posts, read 23,200,081 times
I've seen this in action with my friend's two labs, brother and sister.

Sadie: Smarter than most PEOPLE that I know.
Simon: Well, let's just say that he's dumber than a rock and leave it at that.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:55 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,804,132 times
Not true, and incredibly generalizing, imo.

Every dog is different. Anybody who has dogs knows that.
I have had many dogs throughout my life and there are incredibly intelligent male dogs.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:18 PM

8,986 posts, read 14,987,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Then why was Lassie always a boy dog? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
males have bigger collie "ruffs"

Old 04-28-2011, 12:35 PM

43,012 posts, read 83,538,511 times
Maybe the male dogs didn't look longer because they figured out what was happening quicker than the female does!

Old 04-28-2011, 12:38 PM

4,559 posts, read 4,622,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Maybe the male dogs didn't look longer because they figured out what was happening quicker than the female does!
There are always two ways to look at things aren't there?

Old 04-28-2011, 01:08 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,807,849 times
"Although this experiment gave female dogs the cognitive edge, Müller said it's likely that future findings of sex differences would even the intelligence scale.
In humans, Müller said, "there's tons of differences you can find, but for everything where you find men are better than women, you can find something where women are better than men." "

This is from the end of the article. Even though the study implies that female dogs are smarter with this particular thing, it's possible that males will come out smarter in another category in a future study. I agree that this will probably happen.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:37 PM

4,859 posts, read 5,535,840 times
I generally agree with this and that is why for years I only had female dogs. There are always exceptions to the rule though and some forms of intelligence seem hard to quantify due to different personalities and different interests.

My female GSD is a very smart dog, but Mister, my male GSD is more vocal, if you will, about his smartness. He's got a swagger, and she doesn't see the need to brag. And my female GSD's interest is primarily me, while Mister is deeply interested in everyone in addition to me. He notices certain things very obviously (like clouds in the freakin' sky) but just because my female doesn't react to them in the same way, doesn't necessary indicate a lack of intelligence but a lack of interest.

Strangers would find Mister much more personable. He is generous with his kisses, loves to fetch balls, loves it generally when we have company - the more the merrier. My Anka gives people a cursory sniff, doesn't mind being petted, will fetch a ball just to show you that she knows what you want her to do, but as I tell a disappointed Mister, she "plays ball like a girl." Her heart isn't in it.

I may have mentioned this before but due to Mister's outgoing personality, I used to think that maybe he didn't have any protective instincts at all, but a few years ago, during a BBQ at which I had quite a few people, he blocked all the adults from coming inside the house when I was in there alone (preparing food) until I came to the door and that let him know it was okay. He let all the children pass without comment though.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:39 PM

20,926 posts, read 26,010,790 times
sometimes i wish my dog was less smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs