Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 11:43 AM

909 posts, read 3,363,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
In my boxer rescue group we tell adopters that they should never jog with a dog under 2 years old. Boxers are prone to hip issues later in life so we always strongly request they don't run with the dog until his frame is fully developed. Before age 2, the belief is the dog's frame is still developing and constant wear will weaken the strength of the developing bones. Of course, the dog's usual running at dog park is not the same thing because its not a constant hammering pace. This attachment reiterates that concept:

ASPCA - Virtual Pet Behaviorist - Exercise for Dogs
thanks for the article! I see it's got links to other helpful info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 11:45 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
Thanks all! This confirms some things we have heard in passing here and there. It's just that I've always been confused when they say, "running." do they mean the dog or the human? When I run, the dog trots at the fastest. But I guess even that could be wearing if it goes for miles without pause. If I keep it to a brisk walk, can I go for 2-3 miles without worry?
Yes...it will be good for the dogs.

When I say Rip runs 8 miles a day I mean beside a truck at about 12 MPH.

However, he is bred for it and is an athlete.

Even then we watch close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs