Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 08:13 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,392,022 times

Advertisements

Courtesy listing this poor girl. She's been chained her whole life, not allowed in the house, and the neighbor said if she gets off the chain and chases his horses or kills another chicken he will shoot her. Last time she got off the chain she was kicked pretty bad by a horse.

Lady says she's purebred pitbull. I can see some bully in her, but I can't pin point what else I'm seeing. Anyone have a guess? I've got the basic info on Petfinder now, but want to get the photos loaded and the other breed added in. Then hopefully I can find a rescue that has room for her.
Attached Thumbnails
Breed mix guess?-betty_2.bmp   Breed mix guess?-betty_1.bmp  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 08:43 PM

15,701 posts, read 17,001,975 times
I think her face looks more Lab than Pit.

That said, I would label her a Lab mix.....people like that.....Labs have good reputations....that would help find her a home.

Honestly, she looks like a bonified Heinz 57. She probably does have a little Lab and Pit in her......and a bunch of other breeds too.

Saying she is a Lab mix is not a lie, IMO......I see as much Lab as anything else there.

Kudos to you for trying to find her a good home.....I sure hope you are successful.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:52 PM

4,971 posts, read 10,644,148 times
Lab/Pitbull. I decided that even before reading the above post.

She actually looks like a perfect 50-50 combo; her coat is definitely Pitbull but the rest is a perfect mixture of the two: from the front, she looks like a Pitbull, from the side, she looks like a Lab. But she's too big to be a full blooded Pitbull. Also, her head is too long and her snout too square to be a Pit.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:33 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,816,802 times
i can definatly say thats the oddest looking "pure pitbull" ive ever seen lol.

personally id say lab, apbt and probably a bit of hound dog in there too.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:23 AM

426 posts, read 1,567,764 times
Yeah, I was going to say Pit and some kind of hound. I don't see much Lab in there, if any. An All-American Dog.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:52 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,384,273 times
I think lab/pit sounds as good as anything. I love the tongue sticking out!

Old 04-30-2011, 09:07 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,392,022 times
Ok. We're going to go with lab/pit.

Why are labs so popular? Man, I'd take a pit over a lab any day!! Those labs have more energy than a 2 year old monkey on crack.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:26 AM

38,750 posts, read 22,735,715 times
I agree with most everyone else. I definitely see pit bull but the body is more like a lab, so I'd say a pit/lab mix. That expression on her face is just irresistible!

Old 04-30-2011, 11:36 AM

4,971 posts, read 10,644,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post

Why are labs so popular? Man, I'd take a pit over a lab any day!! Those labs have more energy than a 2 year old monkey on crack.
LOL! I think people like labs b/c they have a reputation as a "happy" dog.

For whatever reason, they have also become iconic as the "All-American dog" who is preferred, especially, by WASPs and the upper-classes: loyal, affable, gentle and trustworthy.

Pitbulls seem to have the reverse reputation: aggressive, dangerous, and preferred by the lower classes.

I will state at this point that I don't agree with the sterotype, this is just how I think that it developed.

Both are actually hunting dogs: Pits are used to hunt pigs (usually in the South) while Labs are used to hunt birds (usually in the North); even when bird hunting occurs in the South, it is still associated with the upper classes, especially when compared to pig hunting.

Of course, not everyone uses these breeds to hunt but that was their original purpose and was also how the stereotype developed. Labs=bird hunting=upper classes="good" dog. Pits=pig hunting=lower classes="bad" dog.

It really is a situation where stereotypes develop because these breeds are judged according to the people who own them; the stereotype is then reinforced by ownership trends that follow the stereotype. It's totally ridiculous because the stereotypes, as you noted, often have nothing to do with a dog's actual personality.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:15 PM

426 posts, read 1,567,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post

LOL, all the labs I know are lazy couch warmers. They're English lines though. American bred Labs tend to be very go-go-go. They're almost like two different breeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs