U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 02:10 PM

36,472 posts, read 43,558,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Our dogs may be related! When I feed PC breakfast or dinner, I have to stand right there and wait for him to finish. Otherwise, he follows me out of the room. Mama is worth more than food to that boy!

If I get up to pee in the middle of the night, he wakes up from a dead, snoring sleep to follow me. I can't cook without him being right there, watching my every move. He takes the term mama's boy to a whole new level!
You know I think this is a very common trait for Bichons. I had to chuckle too cause I have to stay in the kitchen right close to her food to get Lucy to eat. DH calls her co-dependent.

She stumbles into the bathroom in the middle of the night with me and barely opens her eyes. There was never a more loyal dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 02:15 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,371,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
You know I think this is a very common trait for Bichons. I had to chuckle too cause I have to stay in the kitchen right close to her food to get Lucy to eat. DH calls her co-dependent.

She stumbles into the bathroom in the middle of the night with me and barely opens her eyes. There was never a more loyal dog.
I'm not familiar with Bichons, but my Bulldogs are the same way! Sometimes I trip over them because they are always there!

Old 04-30-2011, 02:24 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,703,190 times
my dogs are velcro dogs, as other have said its not seperation anxiety as such, simply some dogs prefer to be with thier people...
our cocoker spaniel is more independant he will hang around outside while were doing stuff and lay in the sun and be a dog...
the chihuahuas and the cresties however, nope they need to be neer you all the time...
we socilize and train like crazy around here...its just the personality of some dogs and boxers and labs are both typically quite velcro dogs anyway.

you could try hiding her favorite toys and treats aorund the yard and then make a game of finding them, the first few times youll have to go round with her to find them...
id also agree with the poster who said start by making frequent in and out trips, go out with her, then go in for literally a few seconds then imediatly back out with her, repeat...
try just sitting around outside and see what she does, if your out there with her for a while will she eventually run around and play if you dont engage her or is she right by you the entire time ect...

keep training sessions short and fun and include lots of toys, treats and playtime...
shes still a baby and not going to be indpenedant even if she isnt a velcro dog...your her pack leader right now and shes looking to you for reassurance.
btu some dogs never do enjoy being away from their people...

heck i cant even take a shower without my dogs checking on me...im pretty sure they belive there is a secret exit from the bathroom and that the shower is trying to eat me!
if i lock them out of the bathroom, forget it, id never get any peace,
when i shower every few minutes one of them will pop their nose around the curtain to make sure im still there and when i get out there both lay on the bathmat staring at the curtain lol.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:31 PM

268 posts, read 611,504 times
My male GSD doesnt show signs of seperation anxiety, but from the time we bought him home ( 10 years ago ) he has NEVER stayed in the yard without us. He is ridiculous ! Doesnt know he's a dog. Has to be with his people at all times. Our female loves being in the backyard all by herself. She comes in and out whenever she wants thru a doggy door. She will lay out all afternoon in the full sun, just like a cat. But the male? Never.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:49 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,167,971 times
Our pit bull was like this when we first brought her home, but as she began to feel more secure she got over it. Stay with her until she does her business for now, so you won't have accidents in the house. Then start a game with her and your other dog. Slip into the house while they're busy. At first she'll come to the door as soon as she notices you're gone, but keep it up and with time hopefully she'll adjust and feel confident of being outside without you.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:26 PM

6,948 posts, read 19,386,044 times
Push faced dogs are like that. I have and foster boxers and bostons; all are like that. It must be the boxer in your foster that has created this behavior. Suggestion I have is to walk her a few times a day and she will potty on your walks. Or just grab a cup of coffee and your laptop and hang out in the back yard a bit so she'll take care of business outside.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:12 PM

441 posts, read 1,067,081 times
Thanks for all of the input. I am thinking that since we are SO early into fostering this girl we cannot be sure yet if it (staying near a person all the time and not even wanting to be outside) is seperation anxiety or personality. I guess just time will tell.
We've had espace artist, food aggresive dogs, animal aggressive personalities, dogs that did not care for people of various races, ages or sizes and many, many other types. BUT we have never had a dog that did not appreciate the freedom a huge fenced yard offers!

I have noticed that even inside she is on someone's heels. So, it may be personality afterall. I appreciate the suggestions here and will start implementing some. She is so young and so full of energy that I would love for her to run it off outside with the other dog without someone being out there each time. We take her out regularly, but will have to do so even more than planned!

Taben

Old 04-30-2011, 06:52 PM

1,422 posts, read 4,615,252 times
To the OP, how long has the dog been with you at your house?

Old 04-30-2011, 07:16 PM

441 posts, read 1,067,081 times
Default Just Starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
To the OP, how long has the dog been with you at your house?
We've just had her a couple of days...so obviously it is still very early and she is adjusting. I just want to 'handle' this correctly off the bat if possible. As I type, she is literally lying at my feet. She does not seem to car whom she is with, but must be with a human during waking hours or she barks, whines, paws/claws at the doors.
Her other isses are minor, very much so compared to other dogs we have had. Again, I am just stumped that she has a TON of engergy but will not go out in the yard even with the other dog unless one of us goes out there.

Again, hoping to address this correctly right away and not wanting to be 'unkind' to her, nor set her up for long term unacceptable behavior that will make it hard to find a family for her.

Taben

Old 04-30-2011, 07:24 PM

5,240 posts, read 13,977,232 times
It may just be uncertain about this new situation. The American Bulldog we fostered for a rescue came from a shelter and was really afraid to be away from us. Life hadn't been so fabulous for him, he'd been starved while in the shelter and like the others there I'm sure he was abused. So when he wound up in a place with plenty food and affection he didn't want to be away from us for a second.

At first I was fine with it. I'd go in the yard and walk by him. Over time - a few days I guess - he was fine. He would go out with the other dogs, run and play and come right back in with them. It just took him time to realize he was safe and didn't have to worry that we wouldn't be there if he turned his back. Give her a few days to settle in and see if that helps.

ETA: Kensi was my shadow the entire time he was here. He did relax over time, but he was always 'my' dog. He looked to me for everything and stayed pretty close to me. He's quite bonded to his new mom now too, and will always be near her. He's fine going out and playing with his new brother and stuff, but he's just a people-dog. He prefers to be with his humans. Some dogs are that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs