Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 02:30 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times

Advertisements

HB2137, Fabian Law, was signed into law by the governor.

Dog on dog attacks while off your private property is violation. If a dog attacks a dog it is a now a Class 1 misdemeanor, which could carry six months in jail and a $2,500 fine for the owner or the person caring for the dog. The owner is still responsible for the action of the dog even if it escaped from their private property and the owner wasn't aware the dog was loose. You can also be held liable for all medical care and compensation for the injured dog. It does require the dog be considered an aggressive dog but that just means it shows aggression towards other dogs or people. It does not require the dog has a history of aggression, just that it shows aggression.

The governor signed the law because too many dog owners are not taking personal responsibility for their dogs actions while off their private property. Dogs in AZ have great protections while on their private property from liability for being a dog, but when off the property owner's acted as if their dogs right had greater than any other people's dog's rights so the law leveled the field.

just read the final notes on this and it makes it a felony for a person to let their dog attack a human (self defense excluded).

Last edited by PacificFlights; 05-04-2011 at 02:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 06:57 PM

166 posts, read 380,352 times
Sorry, deleted my question above after internet research that answered it. I'm wishing my state had a Fabian's Law.

While researching laws in my state (MN) I found that anyone may kill an unmuzzled dog running free and off its owners private property. This law seems way to broad.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 4,127 times
I know this is an old thread, but if someone reads this and knows how to get charges pursued under Fabian's Law, please let us know.

I reached dead-ends with both County and City Prosecutor's Offices who stated their charges only come from government agencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs